Destiny is getting a much-requested feature early next week, while the revamped Iron Banner event will be back very soon.
Destiny players have complained about being unable to chat with other players since before the game launched. Oh sure, if you and your friends form a fireteam you can chat, but that doesn’t help in PvP or Strike matchmaking, does it?
In the latest Bungie Weekly Update (which now releases on Thursdays, US time), community manager David “Deej” Dague announced voice chat with strangers will go into beta on Monday next week.
According to a detailed update on the new feature on Bungie.net, it’s opt-in, and you can either toggle it manually as you go or set it to activate automatically. Additionally, you can switch back and forth between fireteam chat and public chat at will when you need to share secrets. The feature seems to definitely be available in Strikes, but it’s not clear if it’s usable in PvP and other kinds of content.
Elsewhere in the update, Dague said the Iron Banner is “poised for a return to the Tower”, although no ETA was provided beyond “the end of next week, if all goes well”.
“We promise that you might get twenty-four hours advance notice before the resumption of hostilities. Maybe,” Dague said.
The new version of the Iron Banner is different from the old in several ways:
Power. Does. Matter! (no, really)
- Only players Level 20 and above can lead a Fireteam
- Players below Level 20 can accompany more powerful friends
- Players within 3 Levels can be competitive with each other
- Your DEFENSE rating affects how you take damage
– Wear your best (highest rated) armor
– Players out of your league will seem like a Boss
- Your ATTACK rating affects how you inflict damage
– Equip your best (highest rated) weapons
– Lower-level players wielding fully-upgraded weapons should still be considered a very credible threat!
Claim victory to gain reputation.
- Lord Saladin now has five ranks to obtain through victory
- Your previous Iron Banner rank has been preserved
- The Tempered buff is a twelve-hour boost in reputation gains
- Activate Tempered later during the event to catch up faster
Acquire exclusive Iron Banner rewards.
- Increase your Rank to unlock better gear
- Reforge weapons to reset progression with new perks
- Earn gauntlets and boots to move you closer to Level 30
Quitters never win.
- Reputation gains are only awarded only to the winners
- Defeat grants a token to be redeemed after a future win
- You can carry up to five Iron Medallions at any time
- Partial reputation gains are earned instantly upon victory
Strike while the Iron is hot.
- Your reputation will be reset at the conclusion of this Iron Banner
- Like any competitive activity, each new event is a chance to regain your standing
Finally, Bungie teased a special surprise bonus for Season pass holders ahead of the launch of The Dark Below. It sounds like a shiny new Sparrow.