Oculus Rift launch “many months” away, not “four or five years”

By Stephany Nunneley, Tuesday, 4 November 2014 15:42 GMT

Those waiting to get their hands on the consumer version of Oculus Rift won’t have to wait “years” for the virtual reality headset, according to Oculus CEO Brendan Iribe.

Speaking during the Web Summit 2014 in Dublin, as reported by The Next Web, Iribe said the company is still searching for an optimal input device for the current prototype, Crescent Bay.

According to Iribe, Oculus isn’t satisfied with current gesture control, game pad, or keyboard and mouse configurations.

That being said, the device is months away from release – albeit many months – but not years.

“We’re all hungry for it to happen,” Iribe said. “We’re getting very close. It’s months, not years away, but many months.

“We’ve gone out there and set this bar and said, ‘We want to get it right.’ We don’t want it to be four or five years. We’re eager for this to happen.”

The company hopes a consumer model will be released by the end of 2015, and last week during an investors meeting, Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg said the only way for Oculus Rift to be “meaningful” as a computing platform, was for the device to sell 50 million and 100 million units over the next ten years.

When finally released to the public at large, Oculus Rift is expected to retail for around the $200-$400 mark.

Thanks, GI International.

Sometimes we include links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.