Sony has released more details on its upcoming system update 2.00 for PlayStation 4.
UPDATE: Sony has now removed the USB data backup feature from the list, saying that it won’t be part of this update.
Original story: As previously reported, update 2.00 includes the Share Play feature, YouTube support, and Themes. But today, Sony has announced there will be more goodies included with the update.
Inclusions include a Players You May Know feature, the ability to listen to your music while gaming, changing the “look of your PS4 experience,” and easier ways to sort and filter your content library.
Here’s a list of features listed in the preview pulled straight from Sony:
- USB Music Player: PS4 owners can play their own music in the background while playing a game using USB Music Player*. After inserting a USB stick loaded with music into the PS4, a new option for USB Music Player will appear. Supported filename extensions include MP3, MP4, M4A, and 3GP.
- Change colors: In addition to the ability to add a theme, PS4 owners can also change the background of the home screen from light blue to one of seven new colors: gold, blue, red, green, purple, pink, and gray.
- Players You May Know: PS4 will now suggest players you may know in the ‘What’s New’ section, recommending gamers your friends frequently play with.
- Enhancements to Live Broadcasting: Masamune brings a variety of improvements to live broadcasting on PS4. In the Live From PlayStation app, PS4 owners can now select a Featured channel, which includes official broadcasts from PlayStation, broadcasts from people on a players friend list, and any game channel that the player has followed. Additionally, Live From PlayStation now has filters for searching broadcasts on a specific game, as well as support for archived broadcasts.
- Content Area and Library: PS4’s Content Area, which shows the latest games and apps a PS4 owner has used, has been redesigned to help make it easier to quickly find and access content. It now shows 15 of a player’s most used apps or games, and additional items will be added to a player’s Library. The Library on PS4 has improved filter and sort functions to help organize contented by type (game / app / TV & video), name (a – z or z – a), recently used, or install date.
- Enhanced Voice Commands: The ability to control PS4 using voice has been improved. Players can now say ‘PlayStation’ to begin commands, and ‘All Commands,’ to see a list of all voice command options available. New voice commands were added for live broadcasting, including “Start broadcast,” “End broadcast,” and “Find face.”
- Add To Library: The monthly free PlayStation Plus games will have an ‘Add to Library’ button in the PlayStation Store. This button will add a game to a PS4 owner’s library without downloading it – saving space on their hard drive.
- Back Up Data: Data on PS4 can be backed up and resorted using USB storage. This will back up all data for the console, including settings, save data, screenshots, video clips, download data, and more (removed from preview list – see update above).
PS Vita and PS TV systems will also receive a software update, V3.35 alongside the PS4 update.
It adds four-player Remote Play support to PS TV, and the Live from PlayStation App, which allows users to “watch live gameplay streams from PS4 systems”.
Codenamed Masamune, the update is without a release date, but you can read up on it more through the PS Blog.