Disney pulls Tiny Death Star from mobile storefronts without notice, says developer

By Stephany Nunneley, Saturday, 4 October 2014 17:04 GMT

Disney has pulled Android and iOS game Tiny Death Star off both marketplaces without informing the developer, according to NimbleBit.

The studio’s founder Ian Marsh told Game Informer NimbleBit had “no prior knowledge” the game would be puller, nor that the studio would “no longer even have a contact at Disney” after lay-offs occurred earlier this year.

“Suffice to say if you’re a developer looking to partner with Disney this might not be the partnership you’re looking for,” Marsh told the site.

Tiny Death Star was released in November 2013, and March said the the game was still bringing in revenue.

“My assumption is they don’t feel it is worth it to maintain the game any longer,” Marsh told PocketGamer. “[It was] a significant source of revenue for us, so it stings that much more.”

Star Wars: Assault Team, the mobile collectible card game released in January, has also been pulled from both stores.

A source close to the matter told Gamezebo both games were removed in order to focus on Star Wars Commander, which as of last month had been downloaded 5 million times.

Disney later confirmed to Game Informer that Gamezebo’ source was correct.

Sometimes we include links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.