You’ve got the DayZ basics in hand. But do you have control? DayZ can be baffling at first, and you’ll need to know some keys before you set out. The game doesn’t explain anything to you, and some of the defaults aren’t what you’d expect from a first-person action affair. So here’s a lift:
- WASD – Movement.
- Middle mouse button – Perform an action. This is how you climb ladders, open doors and pick stuff up. It’s contextual.
- Caps – Mic for voice.
- / – Open chat.
- Tab – This opens your inventory.
- F – Flashlight. Your torch won’t work until you add a battery to it in your inventory. Hold space to point it.
- Shift – Shift toggles walk and run. Double tap shift to run constantly.
- V – Jump or climb over low objects.
- Space – Raise hands. Left click to punch.
- 1-9 – Select hotbar items.
- Weapons – To equip a weapon, drag it from your inventory to the action bar. Press space to ready the weapon and, obviously, left click to use it. Right click zooms and the middle mouse button reloads.
- Enter – Toggle first-person and third-person.
- X – Crouch.
- C – Stand.
- Z – Prone.
- F1 – Emote wave.
- F2 – A hands-up gesture which shows you’re friendly.
- F3 – Sit.
- P – Lists players.
- Q – Lean left.
- E – Lean right.
Don’t forget to check out the rest of our DayZ guide. Good luck, survivor.