PlayStation 3 has received its own dedicated YouTube app today, and Sony has kindly sent over a whopping list of app features. It can do quite a lot, it seems.
Sony confirmed the news to VG247 in a statement, and explained that users could download the free app by visiting the ‘My Channels’ section of the XMB, under ‘TV / Video Services’.
The app is feature-heavy. Here’s a run-down of what it can do:
- Search: Finding videos is easier than ever, with search suggestions and instant video results while you type.
- Access to subscriptions: Sign in to find the latest videos from your YouTube subscriptions, which now also includes official music videos.
- Your smartphone as a remote: With a quick pairing process, you can control YouTube on PS3 with a smartphone. Find a video on your phone and with the click of a button it’ll play on the big screen. While the video is playing you can control it from the phone, or keep browsing YouTube for the next one.
- User Interface Optimized for TV
- Video Search
- Ability to Browse and Search for videos while watching
- PS3 Game Controller Support
- HD (Up to 720p)
- Content Flagging
- Closed Caption
- YouTube trending and popular video playlists
Smartphone and Tablet Pairing
- Browse and search for videos on phone/tablet while watching on PS3
- Fling videos to PS3 from smartphone or tablet
- Control video with smartphone
- Comment on phone while watching
Signed In Experience
- Sign-In and Channel Guide
- User’s liked videos
- Watch later videos
- User’s playlists
- Subscribed channels
- Search History
Is it about time PS3 got its own YouTube app? Will it make your life much easier? Let us know below.