Minecraft Pocket Edition – which Android users can get for 10 cents, by the way – will updated with some of the survival features of the core release.
In a post on Mojang’s blog, business developer Daniel Kaplan explained that the Android version has gone without updates since its exclusive launch while the iOS port was in the works, to avoid the problems of varying feature sets.
Now that the two are nearly on par, Mojang will be working to add new features to both – without fully replicating the core version on Mac and PC.
While the developer has no dates to share at this time, it does have a to-do list:
- A new file system – to make sure we can support items and mobs in the world
- Item system – to be able to pick up items
- Crafting – we know you want this 🙂 This will probably need some iterations since the interface will be customized for the touch devices
- Inventory system
- Mobs – animals and enemies!
- Optimizing rendering code – we are experimenting with caves but need to make it work better before we are able to release it
- Clean up of code and overall optimization