A relatively slow week on the Japanese charts thanks to a bleak release schedule, but Sony saw an upturn on the back of the PlayStation 3 price cut.
Four new releases made it into the top ten this week, but none performed well enough to take the top spot. Instead, generally lacklustre retails saw Rhythm Heaven returned to top position despite declining sales.
Although 3DS hardware sales dropped off again after a price cut-fuelled spike the last week, it maintained three spots in the software charts, although both Ocarina of Time and Nintendogs dropped off since last week. Pokémon Rumble Blast stayed high, but dropped 63 percent.
Summer trends kept sports games high, but a lack of blockbusters kept the chart fairly varied otherwise.
Below you’ll find Media Create’s top 20 sales chart for the week ending August 21, 2011. Last week’s figures can be found here.
- Rhythm Heaven (Wii) – 48.190
- Monster Hunter Diary: Pokapoka Felyne G (PSP) – 40.997
- Kirby Mass Attack (DS) – 35.235
- Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 # (PS3) – 32.751 (new)Pokemon Rumble Blast (DS) – 32.144
- Growlanser IV: Over Reloaded (PSP) – 21.896 (new)
- The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D (3DS) – 21.465
- Wii Sports Resort with Remote Plus (Wii) – 20.969
- J-League Pro Soccer Club! 7: Euro + (PSP) – 17.727
- Toriko: Gourmet Survival (PSP) – 17.521
- Uta no Prince-Sama: Repeat (PSP) – 16.311
- Taiko Drum Master Portable DX (PSP) – 12.107
- Amnesia # (PSP)- 11.841 (new)
- Nintendogs + Cats: French Bulldog / Shiba / Toy Poodle & New Friends (3DS) – 11.690
- Bunmei Haruka: Aoiza Ibunroku (PSP) – 11.462 (new)
- Epic Mickey (Wii) – 10.970
- All Kamen Rider: Rider Generation (DS) – 10.035
- Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 2011 (PSP) – 10.016
- Inazuma Eleven Strikers (Wii) – 9.891
- Pokemon Black / White (DS) – 9.413
The 3DS took a tumble this week, with sales almost halved as interest in the reduced-price console waned again. Nevertheless, with over 100,000 units sold it remained ruler of the roost.
The PSP came in at second place as usual, with the PS3 behind despite a close to 50 percent spike in sales thanks to the recent price cut.
Software Top 20 Per System
PSP – 9
Wii – 4
3DS – 3
DS – 3
PS3 – 1
Japanese hardware sales, August 14 – August 21, 2011 (combined SKUs)
- 3DS – 105,639
- PSP – 40,901
- PS3 – 29,666
- Wii – 18,256
- NDS – 8,031
- PS2 – 1,789
- 360 – 1.427