Japanese investor pressures Nintendo on smartphone jump

By Johnny Cullen, Thursday, 11 August 2011 09:06 GMT

A Japanese investor has said that Nintendo should develop titles for smartphones.

Speaking to Bloomberg, Stats Investment Management’s Masamitsu Ohki said that Nintendo should “buy its way” into making titles for smartphones.

“Smartphones are the new battlefield for the gaming industry,” he said. “Nintendo should try to either buy its way into this platform or develop something totally new.”

It comes as The Pokemon Company made the jump to iOS and Android with Pokemon Say Tap earlier this year.

Acquisitions could also be the way to go, according to Ohki, although specific names weren’t dropped. The last time Nintendo had acquired a developer was Xenoblade developer Monolithsoft in 2007.

Either way, don’t expect a massive shift to smartphone gaming anytime soon, especially if president Satoru Iwata’s comments from GDC in March are anything.

The report comes as the company cut the price of 3DS in Japan as of today.

Thanks, Bluebird.

Sometimes we include links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.

Comments