Morhaime: StarCraft Ghost canned due to WoW insta-success

By Johnny Cullen, Monday, 14 February 2011 22:13 GMT

Blizzard boss Mike Morhaime has said that StarCraft Ghost was canned in due part because of the overnight success that “exploded” out of nowhere for World of Warcraft.

He told attendees at DICE last week that it was down to decisions regarding resources with the title at a time where the company was working on WoW and StarCraft II.

“We have to choose, we can’t do everything,” Morhaime said during a panel.

“Our vision for what’s possible directs that. We like complex games and we like casual games.

Morhaime went on to continue: “They were working on StarCraft Ghost the same time we were working on World of Warcraft and StarCraft II.

“World of Warcraft exploded and we needed to make some resource decisions. It just wasn’t an environment in which a project like [Ghost] could succeed.”

StarCraft Ghost was a console-based spin-off in the StarCraft universe for PS2, Xbox and GameCube.

Thanks, Kotaku.

Sometimes we include links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.

Comments

Headlines

Mike Morhaime

Starcraft Ghost

  • StarCraft: Ghost may release after all, teases Blizzard

    StarCraft: Ghost was one of the more prolific vapourware legends of generations past. It was an action-based take on Blizzard’s strategy world, and after what seemed to be a torturous development hell it was canned. Developer Matthew Burger has poured fuel on the rumour fire.

  • Nihilistic Software demo reel shows a glimpse of StarCraft: Ghost

    Before making the transition from retail to downloadable and mobile titles, Nihilistic Software was working on various titles for PS3 and Xbox 360, and a God of War Home space, according to a LinkedIn resume.