PS2 turned 10 years-old this week, and to show the world just how awesome it did, a timeline showing the high points for the system was concocted.
It’s posted over on Kotaku, but we’ve taken the liberty of typing it out for you as well.
- March 1999 – Sony announces the console’s development
- March 2000 – It is released in Japan
- Oct/Nov 2000 – It hits the rest of the globe
- April 2001 – GT3 released – will sell 15M copies
- July 2001 – PS2 Network adapter released in Japan
- July 2001 – PS2’s first FFX game released – it’s FFX
- November 2001 – Metal Gear Solid 2 released – will go on to sell 7M copies
- July 2003 – EyeToy released
- December 2003 – PSX (PS2 w/digital recorder) released in Japan
- October 2004 – GTA San Andreas released – will sell over 17M copies becoming the highest selling game for the console
- November 2004 – PS2 Slim released
- November 2005 – 100th Million PS2 sold
- November 2006 – PS3 released
- March 2007 – God of War II becomes the last major first-party title to be release for PS2 by Sony
- April 2009 – Sony cuts price of PS2 to $99
- September 2009 – Sony announces that 140M PS2’s have been sold
Definitely an illustrious ten years there. Congrats to all who were a part of it.