Bethesda dropped the first teaser for Fallout: New Vegas this week, which is down for a fall release on PC, PS3, and Xbox 360, and now there’s rumors circulating that PC Gamer has had the first look at it.
Here’s what was gleaned from it by All Games Beta:
- There is an optional hardcore mode, the character needs to drink water, ammo has weight, healing isn’t instant etc. Normal mode is more similar to Fallout 3 gameplay.
- The storyline is focused on the New California Republic vs. Caesar’s Legion vs. New Vegas residents.
- You are not a vault dweller but are given a Pip-Boy by someone who is one.
- There is a screenshot of a vault suit as well.
- There is an assault rifle looking like the M4, as well as a new big gun with a backpack, held like a minigun.
- There are special moves for melee weapons in VATS – specifically a move for a golf club called “Fore” which seems to be a groin shot.
- The Hoover Dam is in the game and is supplying electricity to the city.
- There is a quest to rescue a ghoul from some super mutants. The ghoul can then become your companion.
- The Geckos are back.
- There are both dumb and intelligent super mutants, including the elite Nightkin.
- Some super mutants look similar to the ones in Fallout 3, while others are new. There is e.g. a female super mutant with a 1950s hairstyle who apparently is one of their leaders.
- Screenshots include a guy with a beard and straw hat, a ghoul an NCR Ranger
- The only picture of New Vegas itself is concept art and not a screenshot
- Some location screenshots include a huge model dinosaur advertising a hotel, some satellite dishes, an array of solar panels
- A character generation shot showing a “vigor machine” instead of the skill book
- NCR base is the McCarran Airport, Caesar’s Legion is based in the Vegas Strip, while super mutants are based in a place called Black Mountain. There is also a town called Fremont and another called Primm. A topless revue is mentioned as being in the latter.
- NCR Ranger armor is similar to a brown combat armor with sleeves, there are concept arts of a Ranger
- Skils have a bigger effect on conversation choices. E.g. someone with a high Explosives skill may be able to have a conversation about explosives where appropriate.
- There is a Reputation system in addition to Karma.