Online gaming in China expected to reach $8.9 Billion by 2013

By Stephany Nunneley
5 May 2009 20:04 GMT


Online gaming in China increased 61 percent in 2008, and according to research firm Niko Partners, the market is expected to grow 26.4 percent per year and sales reach upwards of $8.9 billion by 2013.

Sales reached $2.75 billion  in 2008, 77 percent from MMOs, with the remaining 23 percent from casual games.

Console sales are climbing, despite being illegal, but most revenue comes from internet cafes which China has 170,000 of with a total of 23 million PCs.

This year, the market is expected to $3.8 billion.

Via Gamasutra.

Sometimes we include links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. Read our policy.

VG247 logo

Buy our t-shirts, yeah

They're far more stylish than your average video game website tat.

VG247 merch