Despite the fact PS3 was outsold by Xbox 360 by almost 2:1 in American in October, Sony issued an upbeat statement in the wake of the figures being released, saying PS3 sales were up 56 percent year-on-year and th PlayStation brand itself generated $369 million in October.
PS3 software sales have increased almost 200 percent year-over-year, said the company, with 2.3 million units sold in October.
LittleBigPlanet and Resistance 2 were pointed at as the key drivers for November software sales.
Jack Tretton didn’t make his usual “it’s all awesome” statement, unfortunately.
Read the full thing after the break.
PlayStation by the Numbers: October 2008
PlayStation Enters the Holiday Season with Consistent Momentum; PS3 Sales Up 56% Year-Over-Year
The PlayStation Brand Generated $369 Million in October
PLAYSTATION®3 (PS3™) continued its positive momentum in October, with 190K hardware units sold, a 90% growth year-to-date. This represents an increase of 56% when compared to October 2007, during which SCEA introduced a price cut for PS3. Fueled by an unmatched line-up of first-party and third-party titles, PS3 software sales also increased almost 200% year-over-year, with 2.3 million units sold in October.
* Nearly 30 new titles were launched for PS3 in October, including first-party exclusives such as LittleBigPlanet, MotorStorm: Pacific Rift and SOCOM: Confrontation and third-party blockbusters including Dead Space, Guitar Hero World Tour, Midnight Club Los Angeles and Fallout 3.
* With the holiday shopping season officially kicking off in November, strong software sales are expected to continue with ongoing momentum on LittleBigPlanet and the launch of Resistance 2.
* The PLAYSTATION®Network also experienced tremendous growth in North America with its total user registration increasing by 166% since January (source: SCEA Internal Data). There are currently more than 14 million registered PlayStation Network accounts worldwide and more than 270 million pieces of content have been downloaded to date (source: SCEA Internal Data). Newly launched and downloadable content in October included exclusive games such as SOCOM: Confrontation and Linger in Shadows, original content such as Qore: Episode 5, and new blockbuster additions to the video delivery service such as The Happening and You Don’t Mess with the Zohan.
The PlayStation Portable (PSP) continued to be a popular choice for entertainment on the go, with 193K hardware units sold for the month. This represented a year-to-date growth of 9%.
PlayStation®2 (PS2) hardware unit sales maintained solid ground in October, with 136K hardware units and 1.7 million software units sold. The PS2 has reached an installed base of over 43 million units in the U.S. as of October 2008.
Power of the PlayStation Portfolio
The PlayStation brand showcased growth across all three platforms, generating $370 million in October.
* Year-to-date (Jan-Oct), the PlayStation brand has generated almost $4.4 billion in revenue, representing an increase of 18%.
* PlayStation total hardware revenue was $131 million in October, and $1.7 billion year-to-date, representing a growth of 19%.
* PlayStation total software revenue in October was $209 million, and $2.2 billion year-to-date, representing a growth of 23%.