It was true. EA’s confirmed that a PC version of Mass Effect will release in May in the US. No word on a European release date as yet. Here’s what you’re going to get altered over the Xbox 360 version:
- Optimized controls designed specifically for the PC.
- High resolution visuals – The PC version features “highly detailed textures, characters and environments”. We’re pretty sure the Xbox 360 one did too.
- Fully customizable controls – You’ll be able to re-map the control scheme.
- “Run & Gun Control” – Players can assign biotic powers or skills to “hot keys”.
- New decryption mini-game – No idea what this is.
- New inventory screen GUI and functionality – “The enhanced inventory system makes it easier for players to equip and modify their weapons and armor.”
So there you go. No word on whether or not the recently announced DLC’s going to be included.
But that’s not all. EA’s also announced that it will be taking over publication of the game, and from the sound of it is to handle all Mass Effect publishing for the future. Yes, there’s a future. Look at the end of this quote.
Frank Gibeau, president of EA’s Games Label said, “EA has struck an agreement with Microsoft to handle future publishing for Mass Effect. We are looking forward to releasing Mass Effect on the PC this Spring and brand new titles in the future.”