Tag Archives: wanted: weapons of fate
Tue, May 19, 2009 | 15:55 BST
Sales data released from the NPD Group shows that videogames with film tie-ins saw a dramatic sales decrease this year in the US.
According to an article in the L.A. Times, the downward slope for the top franchises for the year had varying factors leading to underwhelming retail performance.
- Activision and DreamWork’s Monsters vs. Aliens has sold just 161,000 units since March 2.
- The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena, while critically acclaimed, sold around 100,000 units and the less than stellar performance can be blamed being bounced around during the Activision Vivendi merger.
- Disney’s Hannah Montana: The Movie sold just 65,000 units during it’s first three weeks. The article notes that “inexpensive video games aimed at girls, traditionally the foundation of Disney Interactive’s strategy, aren’t consistently hits.”
- Grin’s Wanted: Weapons of Fate has sold only 100,000 units since its launch on March 24 and NPD says that delaying the game for quality reasons, putting it being released much later than the film, had loads to do with the poor sales.
- The Godfather II has sold 241,000 units with the Xbox 360 version taking the fifth spot on the April top ten, but compared to the original game selling 4 million units worldwide, the figures are undesirable.
NPD says that movie tie-ins have always been a reliable form of sales for publishers, and while Europe has also seen a decline in the sales for the niche, the firm’s unsure if this is a trend or just current market fluctuations.
Tue, Mar 17, 2009 | 21:39 GMT
Grin’s Bo Andersson has said that the Swedish developer has started work on three new projects.
The firm will talk to publishers about the games next week at GDC, Andersson said.
He said the meetings are “more to do with what we will work on in 2011 and 2012″.
“One of the things we will have to gauge is when the next generation will kick off,” he said.
“I think the financial situation has delayed the start of the next generation. I’m hoping it will start late 2012 at the earliest or early 2013.”
Grin’s Wanted: Weapons of Fate is due out next week, and the company has Bionic Commando and Terminator Salvation in the works.
Fri, Mar 06, 2009 | 14:26 GMT
Instead of playing the Wanted demo Warner released yesterday, why not just watch us beat it in less than eight minutes? Do so after the break.
We played it on “pussy” hardness – the other two levels are locked – and listened to a man call someone a “whore”. Not really cricket, is it?
But then neither is shooting people in the face and cutting their throats. C’est la vie, innit.
There’s a nice cover system going on here, but you may want to look at that sensitivity, Warner. He’s supposed to be a crack assassin, not Arthritis Man.
PC, PS3, 360. It’s out on April 3. Get some screens of the movie here.
Fri, Mar 06, 2009 | 12:43 GMT
Find 31 Wanted: Weapons of Fate screens after the break.
The Warner action movie tie-in’s a nice looking affair, no doubt. Plenty of killing and blood-type stuff going on there.
It’s coming for PC, PS3 and 360, but there’s no date as yet.