Tag Archives: star wars galaxies
Wed, Dec 21, 2011 | 02:15 GMT
One player left his PC recording video of the last, celebratory gasps of Star Wars Galaxies as the venerable MMORPG shuttered forever.
Fri, Dec 16, 2011 | 06:38 GMT
The dust has settled over the final battles of Sony Online Entertainment’s long-lived Star Wars Galaxies. The subscription-based MMO’s servers signed off today after eight years of operation, the closure triggered by the expiration of a contract, this month’s launch of BioWare’s The Old Republic, and questions of financial sustainability. The much-treasured universe went down fighting, in the last throes of the Galactic Civil War. So long, Star Wars Galaxies, and thanks for all the mouse droids.
Fri, Dec 02, 2011 | 07:33 GMT
Fri, Sep 16, 2011 | 20:29 BST
Hold on to your hats, there’s a another big list of shorts for you today below the break.
Wed, Aug 31, 2011 | 00:49 BST
Tue, Aug 30, 2011 | 17:30 BST
Sat, Jul 16, 2011 | 19:32 BST
Tue, Jul 12, 2011 | 13:19 BST
Thu, Jun 30, 2011 | 04:31 BST
A group of over 50 Star Wars Galaxies players are preparing to file a class-action lawsuit against Sony Online Entertainment, in protection of a petition to keep the game open.
Mon, Jun 27, 2011 | 08:28 BST
Sony Online Entertainment has announced it will be shutting down its long-running MMO Star Wars: Galaxies come December 15, having first launched the game on June 16, 2003.
Thu, May 19, 2011 | 03:58 BST
Fri, May 13, 2011 | 13:47 BST
Thu, Apr 21, 2011 | 09:01 BST
Server transfers. Great. Every MMO has ‘em. Free ones, though? This could get messy.
Mon, Mar 28, 2011 | 02:43 BST
Sony Online Entertainment is offering players the chance to donate to a Japan relief fund by purchasing in-game items in a range of online titles.
Fri, Mar 25, 2011 | 15:52 GMT
Tue, Jan 25, 2011 | 22:08 GMT
In Star Wars Galaxies’ January producer’s letter, Tony Tyson has detailed some new concepts in the works for the game’s Galactic Civil War system.
Sun, Oct 18, 2009 | 09:51 BST
Loads of MMOs are planning Halloween and fall festivities for users, but some have already launched tricky goodness.
You can find out more about those past the break, but while you are headed that way you will also learn other sorts of stuff like: Legends of Norrath’s eighth expansion has launched, CrimeCraft is headed to iPhone and Facebook, and having gone free-to-play D&D Online is doing great, apparently.
Also, Star War Galaxies is overrun with zombies. That’s right. Zombies.
It’s all there kids. Enjoy.
Wed, Sep 16, 2009 | 09:53 BST
SOE’s confirmed that 12 Star Wars Galaxies servers are to close, as detailed here. Only 13 will be left in operation.
Character creation has now ceased on all the affected servers, and character transfer to other, healthier climes has been made free until October 15.
Just when the zombies were turning up, too.
Mon, Sep 14, 2009 | 13:44 BST
Weekly MMO news round-up, September 12: Star Wars has zombies, The Secret World’s not so secret anymore
- Massively had a chat with Stew Chisam, VP of game operations at Hi-Rez Studios, during DragonCon last week. It’s a video interview, and in it, Chisam chats about how well things are going with Global Agenda since the two closed Betas. If this game has been on your radar, you should check out what Chisam had to say here.
- Ultima Online’s new expansion, Stygian Abyss, has been released and is now available for download on the game’s website. It will run you $29.99.
- The Secret World was all over PAX. Massively was lucky enough to get a preview of the game, Gamespot provided impressions, and Eurogamer talked to Funcom’s Ragnar Tornquist who told the site all about it. Wanna know all about the three different factions, the lore, and see some screens? Then hit all three links for information overload.
- The clown Malatina offers a new solo challenge for plucky adventurers in Runes of Magic. Once per day, she will give players the opportunity to enter a obstacle-packed dungeon, which will be included in the update for the full launch of ‘Chapter II – The Elven Prophecy’, on September 15. Hate clowns, man. US servers will be brought down for 24 hours starting Monday, Sept. 14, at about 3 a.m. PST until Tuesday, Sept. 15, at about 3 a.m. PST. During that time, the forums and Runes of Magic Web site also will be down. All systems will return Tuesday, Sept. 15, at about 3 a.m. PST. The forums and Web site will have a new design to match Chapter II: The Elven Prophecy. More details are through here.
- Before you get surprised and start screaming “Oh Noz! You’ve got zombies in my Star Wars Galaxies!”, read up on it via the official Random House website. Apparently, SOE and LucasArts are adding zombies as part of an October event called Death Troopers, which ties into the horror-themed novel of the same name by Joe Schreiber.
- ROHAN: Blood Feud (Renaissance of Human and Nature) now has one million accounts. Cool. To celebrate, the team are holding Million Member Mania events from now until September 21, where players who win the various games included will be awarded with one million in game currency. Very cool. More through Massively.
- The Aion team is aware of issues with lag, the authentication server, gameguard anti-cheating program, forum authentication script, and beta key release schedule, and are devoting resources to finding out the cause. Rest assured, a patch will be released ASAP. Good to know. More on that here. Thanks, Massively.
- Dungeons & Dragons Online went free-to-play in North America this week, and to get you excited for it, Rock, Paper, Shotgun has a couple videos posted, along with some information on it. If that just isn’t quite enough to placate you, Massively has a launch day news round-up for the title. Hooray!
- Karos Online is currently in closed Beta, and other than some interesting bits to PvP, the game takes a different approach to crafting and hobbies than what you may be used to in an MMO, by incorporating both into an alternate character progression tree. Also, instead of running around looking for mats, you may end up fighting over them instead, such as through the mining area which will be rife with PvP. More through the link.
Sat, Jun 27, 2009 | 22:46 BST
Loads this week in MMO news, and some is more interesting than what we have been offered in previous weeks.
FussionFall is getting an expansion for its 5 million users, the EQI&II trademark rumors turned out to be new expansions, Star Wars will be on hand at Comic-Con, and Conan got a new update.
Also, Warhammer and LotRO are celebrating the summer with festivities to make things a bit more zany and fun.
Find out all about these and others after the break.