Tag Archives: Gore Verbinski
Thu, Mar 07, 2013 | 00:19 GMT
Gore Verbinski was making a Kinect game with Blind Wink called Matter. Now he is not. “Microsoft Studios is no longer pursuing this title,” a spokesperson told Joystiq.
Sat, Jun 09, 2012 | 17:32 BST
Microsoft’s Phil Spencer has said film director Gore Verbinski brought the idea for his studio’s game Matter to the firm after being “exposed to Kinect.”
Tue, Dec 06, 2011 | 19:40 GMT
Director Gore Verbinski’s Blind Wink Productions has signed on with Microsoft to create content for Xbox 360 and various other MS platforms, which we assumes means WP7 and PC.
Tue, Feb 15, 2011 | 15:53 GMT
Director Gore Verbinski has said the reason the BioShock movie deal feel through was due to the fact it was going to be an R-rated film instead of PG-13.
Thu, Jul 01, 2010 | 07:42 BST
Big Daddies on the big screen? Not for a while, according to producer Gore Verbinski.
But hey, how about this Big Momma’s House movie? Sounds like a real winner to us!
Mon, Aug 24, 2009 | 14:55 BST
The BioShock movie has a new director in the hot seat, and his name is Juan Carlos Fresnadilo.
Variety are reporting that Fresnadilo has been picked as the new director of the movie by Universal after original director, Gore Verbinski, decided to just take on the role of producer for the movie due to not committing to an abroad shoot that the movie will be doing.
Fresnadilo was the director of 28 Weeks Later.
His appointment is provisional though for now. Publisher Take Two must approve of the decision from Universal.
Mon, Jun 01, 2009 | 11:34 BST
Director Gore Verbinski has told The LA Times that filming Bioshock in the States is simply too expensive and if the film is to go ahead, countries such as the U.K. and Australia need to be looked at for tax rebate reasons.
“The bottom line is it has to shoot out of the States for budget reasons and my schedule may be prohibitive.” he said.
“Big movies are just not being shot in the States. I’m weighing whether I can physically go the U.K. or Australia or one of those other places with a tax rebate for a year-and-a-half.”
Production on the Bioshock movie was ground to a halt in April due to budget concerns.
Sat, Apr 25, 2009 | 09:05 BST
Universal has stopped pre-production on Gore Verbinski’s BioShock movie over cash worries.
According to this Variety report, a planned budget of $160 million for an LA shoot was too much for Universal to stomach, so alternative locations – like the UK – are being looked at in an effort to get things moving again.
“We were asked by Universal to move the film outside the U.S. to take advantage of a tax credit,” Verbinski said.
“We are evaluating whether this is something we want to do. In the meantime, the film is in a holding pattern.”
Whoops. More words through there.
Wed, Apr 08, 2009 | 15:58 BST
Director Gore Verbinski has passed on the fourth installment in the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise in order to focus on the upcoming BioShock movie.
That’s fine, because, if we’re being honest, the last PotC film was shit anyway.
Take-Two head Strauss Zelnick said last year that the BioShock movie will release alongside a third game.
More over on SciFi Wire.
Wed, Dec 17, 2008 | 20:26 GMT
According to this Variety report, Gore Verbinsky’s signed on to direct a movie based on the exploits of a Second Life player.
The film is to be based on a Wall Street Journal article about the MMO and its detrimental impact on the real lives of players.
The article by Alexandra Alter focuses on a married man who spends as many as 20 hours a day on a computer, existing through an avatar who is a thriving, musclebound entrepreneur. In reality, he is a diabetic, chain-smoking 53-year-old.
Linden Labs will be pleased.
More through there.
Thu, Aug 07, 2008 | 13:59 BST
Big-shot Hollywood film guy Gore Verbinski “gets” the BioShock franchise. Ken Levine told us so last week. So don’t expect pretty blondes with unsmudged make-up impaling themselves on muscle-bound dunderheads in the screen adaptation of the 2K Boston game.
“You’re always going to be worried that in that first meeting they’re going to be, like, ‘OK, it’s Kate Hudson and Matthew McConaughey on a desert island hunting for pirate treasure,’ but it’s not going to go that way,” said Levine, talking to VG247 at Develop.
“My expectation at this time, from everything that I’ve heard, is that it will very much honour the dramatic and thematic elements of the game… They certainly understand the material and are able to provide a stamp of their own.”
While Levine said there’s only been talking up to this point and he hasn’t actually seen anything of the film itself, it sounds as though Verbinski and script writer John Logan are now actively involved in the project.
“I think they’re a little generous with their time,” Levine said of the pair.
“It’s hard, just in the fact it’s a movie. You have to walk that line between the fact that it’s a property you love, and honouring that property, and realising it’s a game. We’ve sat down a couple of times and had conversations, and we’ve talked with John who’s working on stuff.”
The movie isn’t slated for release until 2010, but Levine told us that Take-Two boss Strauss Zelnick has been careful about the deal he struck for the venture, despite dogged interest in the rights.
“There was a lot of interest early on, and at some points it became so intense that I thought it may at least get optioned,” he said when asked if he knew BioShock would be made into a film from the start.
“The movie industry’s strange. A lot of things get optioned. In the movie industry you can option very cheaply, and so it really came down to what Take-Two did. Strauss [Zelnick, Take-Two's chairman - Ed] was very particular about making sure it got made. There’s no point in tying up the rights and having all the complications unless it got made in the right way.
“They did a really good deal, not in terms of the financials, but in terms of the people he chose to work with, and how it’s going to impact on the franchise… there are a lot of smart people involved.”
Fri, Jun 06, 2008 | 11:15 BST
Speaking in an investor call related to just-released Q2 financials, Take-Two head Strauss Zelnick said that the now-confirmed Bioshock film would not release alongside Bioshock 2 next year.
“It’s more likely that it would be released coincident with BioShock 3,” he said.
This is, obviously, the first time a third Bioshock game has ever been mentioned.
As reported earlier, Gore Verbinski will direct and produce the movie.
Fri, Jun 06, 2008 | 07:43 BST
A Take Two press release now confirms the earlier Variety rumour that Gore Verbinski will direct the Bioshock movie.
“BioShock, a wholly owned and internally developed title for Xbox 360 and Games for Windows shipped over 2.2 million units since its debut in late August,” it reads. “2K Games will be bringing this popular title to the PlayStation 3 this fall, and Universal Pictures is developing a feature film based on BioShock to be directed by Gore Verbinski, director of the Pirates of the Caribbean trilogy.”
So there you go, you can all rest easy now.
By Mike Bowden
Fri, May 09, 2008 | 16:18 BST
According to this Variety report, Gore Verbinski has been confirmed as director for an upcoming Bioshock film.
“I think the whole utopia-gone-wrong story that’s cleverly unveiled to players is just brimming with cinematic potential,” said Verbinski. “Of all the games I’ve played, this is one that I felt has a really strong narrative.”
No release date was given for the project, although the piece does say, “Take-Two is developing a Bioshock sequel that will be released in 2009, almost certainly before the film comes out.”
Lots more through the link. Like, blimey.
Mon, Mar 10, 2008 | 21:58 GMT
Everyone’s at it these days. Pirates of the Caribbean director Gore Verbinski’s making an unnamed game, according to this.
“I’ve got something in mind that I’ve had for about a year,” he said. “I didn’t want to jump into gaming from the executive level. I really want to sort of engage on a creative level.”
That’s it. Go Gore. Try not to make it about pirates.
Thu, Feb 07, 2008 | 21:23 GMT
Speaking at DICE in Las Vegas, Gore Verbinski has urged developers to push the boundaries of innovation and asked why companies insist on “making another Halo” when there are “so many other places to go.”
“This is the time for madness,” he said in his conference keynote. “This is the time to go down dark alleys.”
Verbinski is best known for directing the Pirates of the Caribbean films.
“As you have success, the business model gathers data and focuses on those successes,” he said. “An empty canvas is a dangerous investment, but once a few dots are connected, the business model can and must connect to those early successes and follow them in an otherwise unguided terrain. Success creates followers. That landscape narrows, and we start to migrate along those paths at the expense of our explorer instinct.”
The director has a point. He warned the games industry off the film business model, in which creativity has collapsed under the weight of numbers.
Verbinski pointed to the film industry’s creative collapse, as the greenlight process became less and less instinct and more and more a numbers game.
“I think we can all agree that film narrative has become stifled and derivative as language is borrowed over and over,” he said.
DICE runs till Friday. Full article here.