Old Gamer...i decided to put this here in case you needed it. This is here for everyone else that might need it also.
i am your savior in a way
If you buy a slim you CAN use your current hard drive on it. Its simple.
I have a 4g slim but i have my old 60gb hard drive in it.
Heres what you do:
1) Take apart the hard drive enclosure for your fatty 360 hard drive.
- All you need is a T6 (tiny) torx driver (its the screwdrivers that looks like a star, you can get them at Home Depot)and a T10 (fat) torcs driver.
- Take out the tiny T6 torx screws out of the plastic enclosure. There are a total of 4 of them (one is hidden under the shiney Microsoft Sticker warranty thing) and pull apart the plastic enclosure.
- Inside is a metal frame and inside that frame is the hard drive you need. To take apart the Frame use the T10 torcs driver and remove the 4 screws.
- Simply remove the metal lid you just unscrewed. Slide the hard drive back and disconnect the cable the hard drive is attached to.
2) Now, under the slim 360 (or on its right side) there is a small push button on a grate that looks like a fan hole. Press it and lift it up.
- You will see a port for a drive to be installed.
- Take the Drive that you just removed and push it gently into this port. It will be slightly loose but you can simply put a piece of cotton or something throw away to keep it sturdy.
- Turn on your 360 and go to settings and then to Storage. You will see your hard drive installed and it will say “Microsoft” at the right corner of its label stating that the new 360 sees it as a legit xbox hard drive.
MAKE SURE TO WEAR LATEX, NEOPRENE, POLY-URETHANE, or RUBBER coated GLOVES. This prevents any static discharge coming from your fingers reaching the circuit board on the hard drive.