Star Wars Battlefront won’t have The Force Awakens content for obvious reasons

Saturday, 30 January 2016 16:45 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

During EA’s financial call earlier this week, the company’s chief financial officer threw cold water on anyone hoping Star Wars Battlefront would eventually contain characters from the latest film.

star_wars_battefront_screens (4)

According to statements made by Blake Jorgensen, which we reported here, the current Battlefront game will be sticking with the original film trilogy.

“One thing that we are adhering to, and I think this is part of our arrangement with Lucas and Disney, is you can’t make a game in Star Wars that violates the canon of Star Wars,” he said. “Mainly you can’t take something from the future and bring it back into the past unless it’s a reference.

“In our current game and for that manner the DLC associated with this current game, we’ll have to be careful that we don’t violate the cannon.”

Characters in Star Wars: The Force Awakens are outside the timeframe in Star Wars Battlefront, so excluding these characters makes perfect and obvious sense as the current film takes place 30 years later.

The same could apply to the next film in the franchise, Rogue One, as EA isn’t familiar with the upcoming film’s storyline.

As for future Star Wars games, Jorgensen said EA’s development teams would stay “tightly connected” to the Star Wars films while tapping into “new characters and vehicles.”

New Star Wars Battlefront Season Pass content was outlined earlier this week, and a patch nerfing Boba Fett, Falcon, Slave I and others was released. It also included new content.

The next Battlefront content for PC, PS4 and Xbox One players will drop in February.

It includes a new Survival mission on Hoth, a Hoth multiplayer map supporting larger game modes, Turning Point being made available on all maps which support Walker Assault and Supremacy and more.