This Far Cry 4 video may appal you

Friday, 25th July 2014 04:00 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Far Cry 4′s development team took a research trip to Nepal, where they passively participated in an animal sacrifice. And then, for some reason, told everyone about it.

Far Cry 4 staff from Ubisoft Montreal are featured in the video below, which chronicles a research trip to Nepal. The first thing our intrepid devs did, according to the video, is attend an animal sacrifice.

Now, I’m no public relations expert but I’m not super sure this is the best marketing material Ubisoft has ever produced. Even putting aside the ire this is sure to raise amongst animal rights activists, the narration describing animal sacrifice as a “perfect introduction” to Nepal is pretty wince-worthy; Nepalese culture and traditions are about a lot more than one uncommon ritual.

It is really cool to get a look at Nepal in the video, as it’s a place most of us will never visit. You can see why Ubisoft chose it as inspiration for Far Cry 4′s fictional Kyrat. However, you’ve been warned: an animal was harmed in the making of this promotional documentary.

Far Cry 4 hits PC, PlayStation 3, PS4, Xbox 360 and Xbox One in November.

1. dsr

The animals are harmed every day for me to eat my greasy burger and crispy fried chicken wings. Those hipster shits should grow a pair already.

Well, at least its not an issue about sexism in gaming, so that’s a plus.

#1 2 months ago
  2. Teapsalm

@dsr Amen

#2 2 months ago
  3. Not The Eyes

You really have grudge against Ubisoft don’t you? In fact, so much so, that you blame them for things other people do. This is something that happens in Nepal, and it is not uncommon – a bit of research, and the video itself, shows that.

Animals are killed all the time, anyway. They were saying that the ceremony itself was a perfect introduction to the some of the more archaic/ancient parts of its culture. If you’re going to criticise that sentiment, you could complain that any single piece of culture does not represent all the combined culture – of course it doesn’t, but you can summarise the entirety of a culture in one video, and they weren’t trying to – they were trying to get a sense of it.

Just chill out, somebody loves out.

#3 2 months ago
  4. polygem

@dsr.

I am a vegetarian since the early 90s, coming from the hardcore (music) scene. I was literally shocked when i found out how meat is produced in detail – Looked deeper into it – Checked how that machine works in reality – Didn’t look away like everyone does but really really looked for myself. In person.

You then look at the ethics you have learned from parents, in school, from the church and then compared that to the reality. It can almost be traumatizing to a young person.

In fact i believe that this is one of the key errors in our society, responsible for a lot of chaos and disorientation.

Finding out the truth about how we are treating animals made me feel disconnected to the world, to my fellow humans and that gap has never been closed completely ever since, eventhough I have a very social life, a job etc. I have friends that eat meat of course. I respect them. I don’t blame them…but there is this gap. Still.

Let me get a bit dirty…just because you have as well…You have chosen the easy way, the lazy way. You are not a tough guy for eating burgers. In fact you sound like a cry baby, too afraid to strive against the (main)stream. I don’t think that those hipsters need to grow a pair. You should.

The mass meat industry is wrong on many levels. The way we are treating animals today will be looked down at a hundred years from now because it is ethically and morally wrong. It just completely is. You kill for no reason. The fact that vegetarianism (finally!) is becoming more and more popular (or hip as you call it) is great but it also only is natural evolution. The world needs to consume so much less meat in order to survive.

So yes, there might be some hipsters, being vegetarians because they think it is en vogue…well. They are correct. This is the zeitgeist. Meat consumption, while still growing in some parts of the world, is outdated. It will take a long time but it will fade.

If I think about science fiction I think about a mainly vegetarian, vegan world…just because it is logical, ethical evolution. It also is the only choice for human survival.

#4 2 months ago
  5. Not The Eyes

@polygem That sounds like a hella boring future. Thank god I live in the present where I get to eat delicious dead animals – truly we live in a great time.

#5 2 months ago
  6. polygem

@Not The Eyes
    as long as you aren´t a pig or a cow, or a labmonkey and if you are also blessed with insensibility and a lack of compassion…you are probably correct.

#6 2 months ago
  7. Not The Eyes

@polygem I have compassion. Most of those animals live a perfectly fine life, and then are slaughtered quickly. And indeed they wouldn’t have lived at all if it weren’t for the demand for their meat. In fact they live better than a lot humans on the planet, especially since they barely have any concept of consciousness.

#7 2 months ago
  8. polygem

I wont discuss this with you. I have done that a million times in my life. All I can say is: Educate yourself. Dig deeper. Don’t shy away from the reality.

#8 2 months ago
  9. Not The Eyes

@polygem Don’t worry, I’ve watch all those documentaries, read all those articles. I’m very well aware. It just turns out I’m able to cope with reality and understand life and the way the world works a bit better. You’ll get there one day buddy!

#9 2 months ago
  10. polygem

Thank you. I can cope perfectly fine with reality. I won’t change my beliefs regarding this anymore in this lifetime. I have done a lot of thinking. For me personally it is the only way. The right choice. It’s not a sacrifice. In fact you really gain a much better life actually. A dead animal is not even food to me. That is completely out of question…buddy.

#10 2 months ago
  11. Not The Eyes

@polygem Yea I guess you would look rather silly accepting you were wrong after 20+ years of being a vegetarian on principle. No problem, more burgers for me!

#11 2 months ago
  12. TheWulf

@1 & 2 & 3

That an extroverted mind isn’t capable of ethics is about as surprising to me as an amoeba not being capable of particle physics. To a more erudite mind, such as mine, it’s never about the death of the animal. It’s about the ethical values involved — such as how quick the death is, and how painless it is.

You can kill animals in such a way that it is merciful, a kindness, or you can make them suffer for every last second of their existence. And animals do suffer, I’ve worked voluntary at shelters, I’ve seen them suffer. I always find it weird to hear that people think animals don’t cry because of pain, but I have seen at least one example of that happening.

Samoyeds get tear overflow which stains their fur, it happens most when they’re unhappy, and I’ve seen one Samoyed who was literally dark brown around the eyes because he’d been suffering so much pain. They were trying to help him, but he was a sick doggy. I cried too, I mean, how the fuck can you not? In my time, I’ve seen humans do some truly despicable things — to me, to other humans, and to animals.

This is why I would never cause a creature that feels to suffer, and why I have so, so much hatred for those who promote suffering. It’s my primary motivation. For example: Why am I an equal rights activist? Because I know that somewhere, someone has been abused over being ‘lesser,’ is crying, and contemplating suicide over it. Where in a better world, things like that wouldn’t be happening.

I pointed out the ongoing rise in LGBTQ suicides not so long ago.

There’s a sort of soul sickness that comes from suffering, from being ill, from pain, and it rots you until you die. I don’t want that happening to anyone, animal or human, no matter how much I may dislike or even hate the person I’d prefer mercy. I am merciful by nature wholly because of what I’ve seen and experienced, and if you were to live my life, you couldn’t be anything other than merciful, either.

And you’d pick up a healthy hate for those who do cause suffering.

So it’s not about the death, it’s about the suffering. Is the animal suffering? If so, it’s despicable, and awful, and they’re monsters, and my opinion of Ubisoft has been further hurt by these shenanigans. I can’t bring myself to buy any Ubisoft games any more, I haven’t been able to for… what, a year now, if not more?

And the fact is is that they’re now targeting lowbrow people who enjoy seeing things like this. The kind of people who never think. It’s fun to watch because you haven’t considered how much an animal might actually suffer, right? But what if the person suffering was you?

Fucking empathy. Learn about it. Put yourself in the place of someone who suffers, and you grow as a person.

But I think empathy is only borne of those who’ve actually suffered. This is why my least favourite part of humanity is the one that never suffers. The one I draw the line in the sand against — the extroverted, healthy, straight, white, cis-gendered man. They’ve never had a reason to suffer, they have it all. Instead, those fuckers tend to propagate the suffering, and if they aren’t responsible for it in the first place, they share it around.

Why? Without experiencing suffering, you have no empathy, you’re automatically a sociopath. So of course you don’t question whether the animal is suffering. Of course you don’t. You can’t. It’s contrary to your nature.

As an empath, I don’t want constant reminders that animals are being put to death in painful ways. Thank you. I actually find it upsetting, because I can’t just stop all of them from doing that. If I had my way, every animal death would be ethical and merciful, or it would carry a life sentence. Because suffering is a big fucking deal.

And animals suffer too.

I always did like you. I like you more, now. I don’t know what it is about you, but you have empathy. I don’t know where you got yours from, whether you’ve suffered a great deal, or whether someone close to you has, but you have a remarkable degree of empathy.

You’re human to me. You have qualities I think of as being human.

I think of a lot of people as just being cancerous tumours on the face of their earth, vile and parasitic, leeching away at everything. Extroverts that leech away at my energy, only to drive off in their showy cars (because fucking vanity) which spew pollutants into the air. And the stupidity of most people is poisonous, too, because they don’t think. It’s not that they don’t think about how their actions affect other people, they just don’t think.

So those creatures cause sickness in humans, animals, and the world alike. And I’m not a primitivist, I’m a transhumanist, but most scientists are always discussing ethics and considering what they’re doing. It’s the average extrovert that poisons the world more than any scientist ever could. After all, it’s not the scientist that pushes the untested product out onto the market, it’s the extroverted, sociopathic CEO.

I treat people as I perceive them to be. Either tumour or human. I don’t have a lot of respect for cancerous tumours whose only purpose is to hurt the earth and the life around them, to cause suffering. That’s where I draw the line. And I’m all too aware of the kinds of people who’ve made me suffer, I’m also aware of the groups with the lowest average intelligence, which often have oppositely high levels of anger and bigotry.

I don’t see them as scum, I don’t want them dead, I just see them as a disease born of a lack of function. They lack empathy, they lack ethics, and they lack either emotional or intellectual intelligence (sometimes both), resulting in sociopathy or stupidity (or sometimes both).

I think the ‘cure’ for earth at this point is to ensure that everyone has the same basic level of emotional and intellectual intelligence, along with a similar ability to grasp ethics and feel empathy. That would probably turn our world into a utopia overnight. I mean, when I look at right wing war-mongering politicians, I see that it’s down to a lack of intellectual intelligence combined with a lack of empathy and ethics, they’re just very extroverted people who care only for their own herd.

And it’s often infuriating. It can even be more infuriating because they lack the intellectual intelligence to even understand my issues with them. I’m sure that we’ll see some flames against this post that completely miss the point, it happens with regularity. And they’ll be angry, too. They always are. That’s how I’ve managed to segregate people into the categories of human or tumour. They’ve become pretty easy to figure out.

You can see the cancerous ones in this thread who, with all their stupidity (and thus, lack of ethics) and all of their emotional immaturity (and thus, lack of empathy) don’t understand that it isn’t the death of the animal that’s the problem, but rather the ethical treatment of the animal so that it doesn’t have to suffer throughout.

And then it becomes a semantics argument about ethics and empathy, because they don’t really understand what those words mean, since they don’t possess the critical capacities to grasp them. And so it goes. So it always goes. Such is our race, separated as it is.

And yet, despite all that, all I want for them is to have the same capabilities that I have: Capacities for intellectual and emotional intelligence, empathy, logic, and ethics.

It’s hard to realise why you shouldn’t make another suffer though when you don’t even feel guilt. I think the amount of sociopaths that exist within our society is growing all the time — and not because there are more of them, but because in the past they hid, whereas now they have strength in numbers on the Internet. They lack any ability for feeling, so of course they’re not going to care about feelings.

And that’s just how things are.

You saw an animal being slaughtered in a way that made it suffer and it upset you, it upset you because you’re a human being with the capacity for emotion for other creatures. I respect you as a fellow human.

And I guess that’s all I wanted to say.

You continue to fail to understand that he’s not talking about the death of the animal, but the gross conditions in which the animals are killed. See, I see you as a tumour because you’re a thicko, you lack emotional and intellectual intelligence, thus you’re something of a low-functioning sociopath to me.

Furthermore, you seek to hurt him just because he’s a vegetarian, that also suggests sociopathy to me. You’re not a human being, and I doubt you ever will be until you’re augmented with the factors that make someone human. Until then, you’re just a tumour, and your pretence to humanity is a charade.

I have compassion.

Hahahahaha. Oh goodness me. No, my dear tumour, you don’t. You have no idea what compassion is.

Most [...]

[citation needed]

[...] of those animals live a perfectly fine life, and then are slaughtered quickly.

No, no they don’t. They’re really don’t. And no they’re not. You haven’t been to an abattoir, have you? I have. He has. You’re speaking from a point of ignorance to try and convince people that you aren’t this tumorous monster that we think… no, that we know you are.

You probably think that battery-caged hens have a fulfilling and happy existence, don’t you?

Sometimes, evil is just borne of stupidity.

Which explains the gross lack of thriving prey animals in our world–oh, wait. Um. Did I miss that memo? No, probably not, it’s more likely just stupidity again.

In fact they live better than a lot humans on the planet, [...]

What? [citation needed, bucko]

[...] especially since they barely have any concept of consciousness.”

Well, neither do you, frankly. I mean, what is self awareness? What does it mean to be conscious? You have no fucking idea. You’re an automaton, a tumour in human form. You’re less self aware than domestic pets, frankly, and you live better than they do.

So I don’t really think that’s a qualifying factor.

But you’re one of those nasty, cancerous little tumours that believes animals feel no pain. If animals feel no pain, it means we’re free to do whatever we want with them, right? I bet you’re also primitivist and religious, I know your type. You disgust me. Away! Away with you! Disease this place with your stupidity no further!

But there’s still one post to go. Sigh.

Nnno, that’s not how it works, thicky. It’s sad that sadness is often a component of intelligence because the intelligent person is more attuned to the complexities of the world. You’ve all ready shown your gross ignorance, so you’ve proven that your bliss comes from that. You’re happy because you’re stupid, not for any other reason.

You see reality in a glibly, gleefully simple way. In a moralistically black & white way. A religious way. Animals are lesser creatures for the great thing that is man to abuse any way they want, and that is right. That’s how you see the world, without any of the shades or layers that a more intelligent person perceives. A stupid person genuinely thinks that animals are lesser creatures, so they don’t suffer, so it’s easy to be happy about whatever horrible things you do to them. Right?

Are you a pet abuser, too? You’d be the type.

So, no, you don’t understand life and the world at all, because you don’t have the awareness you claim to have. You see the world in a simpler way than even some insects. Frankly, according to your world view, those insects are now entitled to a better quality of life than what you enjoy.

You believe in your own superiority, but that superiority is an illusion of your religion, and you believe you’re superior because you’re told to. But you’ve never actually questioned it. You’ve never stopped to think about it. Because you never think. Again, I know your type, all too well.

But at the end of the day, it’s all bluster. You’re dumb, air-headed, and you know very little, and understand less. Polygem might have been too polite and well-mannered to explain to you what sort of creature you are, but I’ve put up with your like for long enough.

So, yeah. Let’s put you in the abattoir and give the fruit fly your home, because if you think about what you’ve said, that’s actually what you want.

I’ll say this once: You’re not very bright, are you?

#12 2 months ago
  13. TheWulf

Poop. I missed a tag.

And #11, do shut up. Please. Your gross stupidity is painful and embarrassing to me. You’re shameful to the human race, in that you think of yourself as human. You’re really not. You lack everything Polygem has.

Your words are painful to someone with any amount of intellectual intelligence.

Please. Stop. Talking.

#13 2 months ago
  14. Not The Eyes

@TheWulf haha get a load of this guy. Are you new to the internet, or just plain dumb?

#14 2 months ago
  15. Not The Eyes

@TheWulf ah dude, I really must thank you. My partner and I were almost falling of our chairs chuckling at your funny little tirade – we skimmed a litte – suffice to say you’re a little verbose.

I really must tip my fedora to you m’lady!

Also, I thank you for wasting that much time replying to me – truly you must live a fulfilling life.

#15 2 months ago
  16. matirishhh

@Polygem – I’m with you buddy I’ve been a Vegetarian for years now!
    But DSR is partially right.

We have a free will. If someone enjoys eating corpses let them do it. It is pointless to argue about that.

I don’t eat dead animals, because this is not what I was born for. But I can’t forbid other people to do that. It is their choice.

And UBI you fucked it up this time. No FAR CRY 4 for me for promoting barbaric rituals #fuckthisno!

#16 2 months ago
  17. YoungZer0

@Not The Eyes

Oh my god, stop triggering his otherkin senses, you shitlord.

#17 2 months ago
  18. YoungZer0

@matirishhh

You don’t eat dead animals? Does that mean that you eat living animals? Are you keeping them alive and eating them one by one? That’s fucked up, man.

#18 2 months ago
  19. matirishhh

@YoungZer0 LOL! How do you play video games if you can’t read man? That is sick!

#19 2 months ago
  20. YoungZer0

@matirishhh

I’m not the one who’s feeding on living animals. O:

#20 2 months ago
  21. matirishhh

@YoungZer0 Dude! I said I’m a Vegetarian. You know what that means?

#21 2 months ago
  22. xxJPRACERxx

@Not The Eyes
    I agree 100% with everything you said. And yes, I think they have a grudge against Ubisoft and like to suck Activision dick.

#22 2 months ago
  23. Calistarius

I really hope the “thewulf”will, one day, mature and gain enough self-awareness to cringe as much at what he’s written online as everyone else does. But then some people can live their entire lives never getting past that whole self-aggrandising “free-thinking philosopher alone in a world of cretins” wank-thing and just get laughed at their whole lives wich is fine too – but then me and everyone else has to keep scrolling past those inane walls of text while looking for comments worth reading.

#23 2 months ago
  24. YoungZer0

@Calistarius

Tumblr would have to disappear for that to happen.

#24 2 months ago
  25. polygem

there is actually always a lot of wisdom to be found in the wulfs posts if you´d actually take the time reading them.

sure he is angry but to be honest with you guys, if you take a very close look at this world and take all your filters off, i mean all of them, letting it all sink in, taking it for what it is, you will have a very, very hard time not to get angry. you will start to question your own day to day routine. the way you interact with the world.

people look away. that´s the big agreement. it makes life easier. this is the easy way my friends, the lazy way, the egoistic way – in that regard the wulf really has a point. he just refuses to look away…and that´s basically the key difference here.

if he throws his unfiltered views at you – it hurts – it shows in your replies to him every single time.

#25 2 months ago
  26. budoshi

The way animals are produced and then killed to feed the massive among of mouths required these days nothing more nothing less. its a necessity, a sad one indeed but i doubt the whole human race can survive only on vegetables there nt simply enough around, and as the stronger species rule over the weak.. its how life works..its a must to be able to feed almost everyone.. that have money to pay for it at any rate, lets not forget that many are starving in this world that would gadly eat that hamberger you so refuse to even look at…i don t judge ..just saying that we have little choice in the matter,and i dont see it more gross or wrong that a tiger eating a gazelle ( http://animalstime.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/what-do-siberian-tigers-eat.jpg ) alive and then leave half the carcase there.. Guys life is too short to start to limit yourself on only tomatoes and eat all you want live aplenty you could die tomorrow and your sacrifice wont change how the world works ..because its fucked up beyond repairs.

#26 2 months ago
  27. YoungZer0

@polygem

“you will start to question your own day to day routine. the way you interact with the world.”

But he doesn’t do that though. If he did, he’d see just what a hateful person he really is. That there’s no real excuse for his actions (or lack thereof), just because he attacks a majority.

He sees himself as something better, simply because he thinks he’s different. If you spend some time on tumblr, you’d see that it’s a sea of hateful individuals, just like him. Saying sexist, racist or phobic shit on an hourly basis all under the disguise of social justice.

#27 2 months ago
  28. polygem

@budoshi

the thing is: if you want to feed everyone on the planet you have to adapt to a vegetarian lifestyle, getting rid of the overconsumption of meat.

what do you think does a cow eat? in fact, the meat production wastes tons of food and other ressources. you are getting much less “food” from a cow than you would if you´d just use the grains you have fed it with for human consumption directly.

mass meat production is a huge waste of water as well and one of the main reasons for third world hunger as well as for global warming.

it is a key problem we are facing today and it needs to change.

in the end you are only harming your own species with it as well in the long run. that´s the irony.

this is all well known since the 70´s actually.

this “the stronger rule over the weak” thing that the christians use that all the time to justify their meat consumption…

…do you want to be a merciless dictator or a compassionate, fair, caring ruler?

i´d know which way i´d choose.

the way i see it we have a huge resposibility and not the universal right to kill everything that might be weaker than us.

that´s the thing humanity still needs to learn imo. otherwise we will only kill ourselves in the long run.

i don´t feel like discussing this atm though because, like i said, eventhough this is a very important topic, i have really gotten tired of discussing it with people over the years. it is basically the same discussion over and over again.

i don´t mean that as an insult now…it just really is :D

#28 2 months ago
  29. Calistarius

@polygem Really. You’re seriously defending him at any level at all. And wisdom? This is someone who tries to put people down with:

“Yes, the world is easy to understand if you collapse it down into the most basic, black & white, binary elements. If you remove all the nuances, if you take away everything that makes being alive actually worth it. Hell, even I’m going to say that I’m still trying to understand how life and the world works, and I know for a fact that my intellectual intelligence dwarfs yours by magnitudes. You’re just arrogant, you have so much faux arrogance to go with all of that ignorance and stupidity.”

And in the same post writes:

“I treat people as I perceive them to be. Either tumour or human.”

“Black & white, binary elements” indeed. I’m not gonna go further with this discussion because I really cant read another line of wulfs pathetic, hateful, nazi-sounding rhetoric (“You’re not a human being”), and just added you to the list of commenters I’m going to completely ignore, for calling any of this “wisdom”. Holy fucking shit.

#29 2 months ago
  30. NotPanthro

stop crying, animals die.

#30 2 months ago
  31. polygem

@matirishhh
    Sorry man. Didn’t see your post. Nice one. Good choice :D

#31 2 months ago
  32. polygem

@Calistarius
    No problem mate…but just take it with a grain of salt. Read between the lines.
    Try to understand where his anger is coming from. Put it into context. He is disappointed about the human species as a whole…and I cannot blame him for that. It is understandable.

#32 2 months ago
  33. YoungZer0

@polygem

Well, he’s definitely not helping with changing it’s current situation. If anything he’s making it worse with his hateful charades.

#33 2 months ago
  34. xxJPRACERxx

I train 5 days a week and the majority of what I eat is meat and eggs + vitamins. I won’t gain muscle mass by eating salad.

#34 2 months ago
  35. YoungZer0

@xxJPRACERxx

There’s a reason why not a single construction worker is a vegetarian. They need energy. They won’t get it through salad.

#35 2 months ago
  36. budoshi

@ polygem ( you can look it up for yourself very easily and educate yourself and i highly recommend doing just that to anyone. it could become a life changer. don´t be afraid of it…all you have to do is to stop looking away really.)
    I think its a bit arrogant to think you found it all and understand it all.. seriously whose is to say and to know who is not educated or his? you dont know me, maybe i read all about it but like i said just dont care? life is too short to eat only salade and maybe peoples dont want to eat only grains? and such? did you thought about that?..human are carnivorous species and need the vitamins meat gives.. just so you know your sacrifice wont change anything in the world only you will miss things.. if you dont like eating meat that a different story ,but if you do , its your lost not ours, and (the stronger rule over the weak” thing that the christians use that all the time to justify their meat consumption…) i dont know what your talking about im not even christian.. its the rule of the world we live inbe cause IT is simple as that.. im not saying i like it its just the way it is, …if the world goes to crap one day, the strong will walk over the weak because its how human being are survival at all costs.. now its not different, not because of religion..We were like this even before religion ever existed.

#36 2 months ago
  37. DarkElfa

@TheWulf Please shove it up your ass and have a burger.

#37 2 months ago