Why Destiny isn’t “just a generic shooter”

Thursday, 24th July 2014 08:01 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Destiny isn’t just a generic shooter. It isn’t. Brenna will fight anyone who says it is.

destiny_playstation_exclusive_content_4

Destiny: shared-worlds shooter

destiny_playstation_exclusive_content_18

In case you’ve been living under a rock, Destiny is a shared-worlds shooter from Bungie, the original creator of Halo.

It’s currently in closed beta testing on PlayStation 3, PS4, Xbox 360 and Xbox One.

Everyone seems to be playing it constantly and you cannot be in the cool kids club if you aren’t.

I think it’s pretty obvious by now that I love Destiny. There’s really only one thing that I don’t like about Destiny, and you know what that is? People who don’t like Destiny.

There I’ll be, enjoying a chinwag with my mates about our latest radventures, swapping screenshots, laughing merrily, swearing it will eat our lives come September. And then along comes some tosser who for some reason feels he has to stick his oar into a private conversation and explain how much he dislikes Destiny.

Most of the time I just give whoever it is a Look (or the virtual equivalent, a failure to answer) and move on, because the last thing I want is for everybody to be required to like the same things. Sometimes I’ll have a little twitch under one eye, as when one chappie said Destiny was no good because one sequence of one mission takes place in the dark and he couldn’t find his enemy. Occasionally I’ll crush a wine glass if someone complains about something patently ridiculous like “you can’t shoot your teammates so it’s unrealistic” (arrrrrrgggghhh half of it is set on the fucking moon you mumpty). But generally I can keep my temper.

However: there’s one particular piece of criticism that just drives me absolutely bugshit, and that’s “Destiny is just another generic shooter”. In an industry saturated with generic shooters, why is it the first one to actually make a real effort to advance the genre in new directions is the one copping that flack?

I’m pretty sure a lot of this boils down to hipsterism; the hype for Destiny is so high that some people are going to come buckets over the chance to prove they’re too good for what we “sheeple” are enjoying, regardless of its quality. But let’s take them seriously for a minute, and talk about why Destiny is not just a generic shooter, shall we?

Because it’s an MMO, basically.

If you don’t like MMOs, I don’t blame you. But imagine if you took the good bits of MMO and stripped away all the bad bits and replaced them with glorious shooting? What you’d have then is pretty much Destiny.

I understand why Activision keep saying “it’s not an MMO”. MMOs are a difficult genre to sell. If you don’t like MMOs, I don’t blame you; they’re fiddly, grindy, and frustrating as all heck if you don’t have a tight crew to work through content with. It’s also not a genre that works well on consoles, for a variety of reasons (although Square Enix has really done a stellar job with FF14; credit where it’s well and truly due), and so avoiding the term in marketing is smart.

But imagine if you took the good bits of MMO (loads of content, co-operative play, an immersive world, raids, flexible character builds, doing emotes in stupid places) and stripped away all the bad bits (combat like a piano rehearsal, mandatory grouping, fiddly controls, nightmarishly complicated character builds, loading into instances, gold sellers) and replaced them with glorious shooting?

What you’d have then is pretty much Destiny. From the moment you launch Destiny’s first post-tutorial mission, you’re in an overworld, and other players are wandering around you. Bungie’s been very clever, though; when you’re on the field, you want be drowning in crowds. At most, you’ll see half a dozen comrades around you at a time, and usually significantly fewer.

So you’re playing with hundreds or thousands of other people, with all the benefits that brings. But you don’t have that horrible feeling of being unimportant in the grand scheme of things because there are hundreds of clones around you, breaking the immersion.

The Tower is played in third person, because Destiny is an MMO.

Moving into instances is seamless. (For those not familiar with MMOs, an instance is a discrete session which admits you and your party members only; randoms can’t come in and mess up your game – or help you.) You get a message informing you that you’re in a dark zone, and that’s it. If you’re in a party and one of you has wandered off, you may see a brief load pause, but that’s it. Most of the time you cross over just like stepping through a door. It’s marvellous.

Strikes are Destiny’s equivalent of raids and differ markedly from their vanilla MMO compatriots by not being a giant clusterfuck. You don’t have to sit around outside a dungeon shouting DPS 4000-6000 LFG for an hour before you find a tank and a healer, because there’s no holy trinity stuff. You only need two other players to tackle The Devil’s Lair (later strikes may support more players, perhaps) rather than half a dozen. Anybody can leap into a Strike without first having to sort out specific gear for the bosses they’ll encounter.

Despite that, Strikes offer much of the satisfaction of raids – long, multi-stage fights with bosses who hit really, really hard. The chance to co-ordinate with your comrades and the great satisfaction that brings.

Maybe you’re just not getting it?

Look, none of us like things we don’t precisely understand – I don’t like entire genres involving base-building and clicks per minute – and Destiny is a weird game. If you don’t get it, you don’t get it.

That said, I really, really, really like it, and I wish you did too. Why don’t you cast your eye over some of our Destiny guides to give you an idea of what you’re missing?

This beginner’s guide to Destiny breaks down the basic concepts, for example. Go on, give it a go. We’re not going to shut up about it, seriously, so you may as well get on board.

Character building is a delight. All three classes have broad similarities, in that they each have a super, a grenade and a melee power, all on cooldown timers. Although the beta is capped at level eight, allowing us only a glimpse of how this will progress, investigating the later power tiers and the single subclass in the menu reveals picture of growing complexity and synergy. Is your playstyle run and gun? There are options for that in every class. More of a careful sniper? Options for that. Fond of melee or grenades? Hell, son; build for it.

Switching between these options is instant and easy, so you can adjust as you collect new gear, and best of all the whole thing is so simple – because you only have three powers, your build choices are nowhere near as complex as the huge number of abilities and stats most RPGs offer. Despite that, it’s still tactically satisfying to nail down an approach – and to have it challenged by a tough foe, sending you back to rethink your strategies.

And yet. You absolutely don’t have to do that, if you don’t want to. Players who experiment and discover optimal builds will have an advantage, but if you’re really just into shooting, you can just shoot. Destiny has all the good bits of an MMO, and none of the bad, and yet it is at the same time a genuinely fun shooter that rewards twitch skill and tactical play alike: the stat jiggery-pokery is an added bonus for those who want an advantage, or to take their game to the next level.

If you want to jump into PvP you’ll find a multiplayer shooter along the lines of Halo and Call of Duty and what have you. If you want to call that a generic shooter I’ll have to concede that you may be justified, because it’s not something that interests me and I’m not qualified to judge it. But out there on story missions and Strikes? Working together to chain super attacks? Managing your three cooldown timers with exquisite timing? Rushing to join strangers in public events, or disappearing with your crew into an instance? That’s an MMO. And it’s a good one.

Other reasons Destiny is not a generic shooter include: you can double jump, you can do emotes on the post office roof to annoy your fellow gamers, and you can dance spectacularly. Present your counter-arguments.

1. polygem

+ 1 big fat 1

#1 2 months ago
  2. The_Red

Why Destiny IS just a generic shooter:

1. It’s art direction is bland mix of Halo and Mass Effect without an ounce of inspiration.
    2. It’s mission design is comparable to a bad MMO that actually forces players to play mostly same-ish areas during STORY parts. (Note that while being like a MMO isn’t inherently bad, being like a BAD MMO is)
    3. It’s a shooter with promise of loot and multiple guns that in the end performs like an early prototype for Borderlands (Before cel shaind was added).
    4. It’s PVP sections are the lamest and blandest forms of competitive action that would look bad in mid 2000s.
    5. It’s voice over and story is so random and uninteresting that they had to talk about “revamping” some stuff.
    6. It’s technical visuals are really really behind for new gen systems and only good for PS3/360.
    7. Even with said average tech visuals, it doesn’t run at 60fps.

The only good thing about it is the great (And admirable) amount of polish. Sadly, said polish has confused or tricked many people into thinking it’s better than it actually is. Destiny is not a turd. Just the most generic shooter shown since Fuse. And it proves that while you can’t polish a turd, you can polish something this generic to make people excited about it.

#2 2 months ago
  3. dkpunk

@2 couldn’t have said it better myself.

#3 2 months ago
  4. Negduke

Really enjoying it but I just wonder how long I will enjoy it.

#4 2 months ago
  5. YoungZer0

@The_Red

Word. I really would love to check out this game, but the art-direction is so fucking insanely BLAND. I saw a picture of milk that looked more inspired than this game. Seriously, after Bungie left the Halo franchise, the game’s art-direction suddenly became so much better. I dunno who does the character-design, but it just fucking sucks. Most of the design don’t make a lick of sense. The helmets specifically look as bland and impractical as is humanely possible.

I’m still glad the game comes out though, as it seems to inspire a lot of CCP’s Legion, which already looks thousands times better art-direction wise.

#5 2 months ago
  6. TheWulf

I’ll stand by what I said about it, though! Not that it’s generic, it really isn’t, but that so many parts of the aesthetic are stolen. When I look at screenshots of Destiny, I find it genuinely jarring.

Welp, that’s from Mass Effect. Oh, hey, that’s from Phantasy Star Online. That’s from Warframe, oh yes.

I’m okay with an aesthetic being inspired by something, but if you have it inspired by too many things then it becomes this mismatched mess with no real identity of its own. It isn’t generic because the games it so liberally stole from aren’t generic, but it doesn’t really have a soul of its own. There’s nothing that really jumps out and says “Hi, I’m Destiny!

Even the Ghost drone is somewhere between something like the Portal personality cores and the hover-over-shoulder robots of Phantasy Star Online. It’s just a big mish-mash of stuff from various sci-fi sources. I don’t want to dislike Destiny because I adore sci-fi and I’m quite fond of Sony’s console, but…

It just feels like a grab bag of stuff.

Generic? No. But where am I looking to see something that’s distinctly, uniquely Destiny?

I’ll give you that a lot of MMOs have had this problem. I’ll give you that, because I’ve always said it myself. Warcraft was always a rip off of Warhammer and it was never going to be anything else, from that point on, many MMOs liberally borrowed from WoW. Wildstar has borrowed so much from various MMOs that I have the same feelings about that.

It’s just stronger with Destiny because I’m a very artistically inclined person and this kind of thing throws me for a loop. This isn’t borrowed mechanics, this is shoplifted art.

And it feels lazy. I can’t respect something that isn’t its own thing. I’m sorry.

It just bothers me. :I

I mean, look at something like Fallout, Fallout has its own unique aesthetic running through it, which is why I have so much love for it. You can, quite literally, look at anything from Fallout then nod and say, yeah, that’s Fallout. Whereas the stuff from Destiny could be any of the three games I mentioned. That’s the difference.

Same with Ratchet & Clank. You can look at something from Ratchet & Clank and instantly know it’s from there, because it has such a uniquely defined aesthetic. It took retro sci-fi and made its own thing out of it.

Warframe (their angular techno-organic stuff), Mass Effect (their segmented armour and holography), and Phantasy Star Online (just the general colourful mecha aesthetic) all have their own identities, too.

So it’s not generic, per se, but I don’t understand what it’s trying to be. You know? It’s this, but it’s this, but it’s this, but it’s this and any kind of cohesion or personality it could have is lost in the melange. It doesn’t have any unifying theme. I tend to think of it as the game’s soul, something that gives it identity and personality all of its own. Something that makes it succinctly that.

All of the things I mentioned I could look at a screenshot of and instantly recognise by their aesthetic. But not Destiny. It’s not generic, it just… doesn’t have a soul, because it tries to steal too much.

#6 2 months ago
  7. TheWulf

I’m glad I’m not the only one that recognises that its aesthetic is just a grab bag of stuff. I’m really sorry, Bren. Maybe it IS fun to play, maybe it IS awesome, but speaking purely about the aesthetic, it has no soul.

Artistic soul and vision are important to me in games, because they’re rare, and if you steal from some of the best, then you’re not going to be generic, no. But artists are going to notice, they’re going to sit up, say ‘hang on a mo,’ and actually realise that, visually, nothing in the game is at all unique to the game. It’s all come from somewhere else.

You can’t steal soul and vision. It doesn’t work that way. That’s what Destiny is trying to do. It works for some people, I guess, but not for me. For all of Mass Effect’s faults, it had soul, it had vision, it was artistic, and it had personality, it had identity, you could tell it was what it was. For example, there are no other robots out there quite like the geth in Mass Effect. Sometimes I want to hug the art people behind the Mass Effect series simply because the art design is just that good.

But stealing it doesn’t make the game that stole it also that good.

And, yeah, I’m glad I’m not the only person who’s bothered by this. I hate to be at odds with one of my favourite VG24/7 writers, but whilst not generic, there’s just… nothing to Destiny. It’s stuff from other places. But nothing that says ‘this is Destiny.’

Even the bloody logo almost looks like Y-fronts.

And that’s been bugging me for the longest time, but I never said anything out of good taste.

Even the logo isn’t particularly great. I don’t know. It’s like they don’t have good artists or art direction. And that kills a game for me.

#7 2 months ago
  8. polygem

Holy crap…i don’t get you guys. Imo destiny looks and feels like a game that has nailed how a modern shooter game should be like.

I can’t go back to any other shooter now.

The artdirection is spot on. This franchise is aimed to be here 10 years from now. With the clean haloesque aesthetics they will be able to achieve a consistent look

#8 2 months ago
  9. polygem

Sorry guys. On the rush. On a phone. Accidentally posted while getting on the metro train. You guys make me angry :D will finish my initial post later. RRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!

#9 2 months ago
  10. Dog4life

@polygem

gotta agree.

Its damn fun coop game.
    Sure to myself it felt a lot like Borderlands meets Halo. And that’s not bad thing at all.
    Simplistic described it felt going back to borderlands , but much more dynamic combat and polished product.

I like the art style, old Russia has stunning backgrounds and great design. The game has some good visual effects and runs smooth even with really a lot of enemies on screen ! (especially last mission on earth felt crowded like serious sam)

For those they dont like it and going straight forward bashing it…. hold on guys and judge the final product.

#10 2 months ago
  11. _LarZen_

Destiny woke me from a long gaming fatigue. I love it.

#11 2 months ago
  12. YoungZer0

I mean just look at the character on the right in the head image. Look how stupid his design is.

He wears a leather coat, with somewhat of a sci-fi cut, but not like a warrior, but more like a scientist. Also features a douchebag collar. Then you have a completely impractical and useless shoulder pad, which just looks dumb and doesn’t even feature pockets or anything useful. Neither does it protect the body.

Then you have the helmet that actually looks like it was made for dogs.

The only acceptable design is the one on the left, which looks kind of cool. The helmet I mean, the body armor looks useless.

#12 2 months ago
  13. Legendaryboss

Exactly i fear the fun factor will run out eventually, even taking into consideration that the level cap may end at 20.

Topic: The glimpse of the story was you’re a dead warlock, hunter or Titan and you were brought back to live to help defend against the Fallen via a variety of missions. Story at this point seemed like, defeat group of enemies, send ghost to do stuff and watch a cutscene explaining what you’re fighting for. Can’t diss the music. Events are bonus, quick and in the moment. PVP is different/standard, with overpowering elements. The UI is fine. Its good, but nothing special, the full release might tell a different story.

#13 2 months ago
  14. juantonio86

Destiny made me not to hate the fps genre and the mmo genre also…I’m really pleased with the game….came as a surprise for me since I nornally skip games like these…but Destiny is just nailing it.

#14 2 months ago
  15. Erthazus

It’s a generic MMO shooter. End of story.

Firefall did this before Destiny. End of story. Who thinks that it is some kind of modern shooter then he is a retard. It is a 2000 year old game design at best with generic PVP and PVE system that is ripped off from Guild Wars.

and I like MMO’s. It’s just bungie created the most generic MMO out there that has been done for eternity already with Activision marketing. It’s generic as fuck. Go.. I dunno. Play Firefall. Same thing but better mechanics and it’s Free.

#15 2 months ago
  16. BrownBanana

#2 I could not agree more! Though I find the graphics really nice for an MMO.

Destiny is the blandest and most generic shooter, that I have played in a very, very long time. The mission-design is extremely boring and the shooting mechanics are the most generic thing of them all.

I see destiny as a boring MMO edition of borderlands. None of the humor, none of the fun cellshaded grapchis and none of the imaginative weapon design.

I am very surprised, that anyone would not call this a generic shooter. I cannot for the life of me understand, that any seasoned gamer would find Destiny so appealing. I find it appallingly boring.

And I really have given it a fair chance. Played both alpha and beta a good amount of hours. But I cannot see myself play the finished game. The central game mechanics are just boring and uninspired.

Halo had such fun shooting and AI and vehicles. None of the are to be found in Destiny. I saddens me greatly.

#16 2 months ago
  17. _LarZen_

On thing everyone should stop saying is that Destiny is a MMO. It is in no way a MMO. It’s a “shared world shooter”.

Not to be mixed with a Massively Multiplayer Online game.

#17 2 months ago
  18. Erthazus

@_LarZen_ It’s a MMOFPS. It is based on Guild Wars.
    It’s not a fucking “shared world shooter” pr propaganda from Activisoon and Bungie. It is a full fledged MMO since it’s existence that is based on Guild Wars 1 server matchmaking.

Destiny is Guid Wars in FP mode with raids, PVE content and PVP. End of story.

#18 2 months ago
  19. polygem

the game is as polished as a nintendo game and it plays as well as a mario kart. they nailed the feel for the game – for a shooter. they nailed a formula. the artdirection is outstanding as well. the game is overloaded with style and soul. look at the moon, the venus, the skyboxes… in fact it is a relief to finally play an inspiring game again that creates such a great gaming universe with so much love for the details…finally an ip with some real potential. something that works.

you guys realise that the armor sets are just starter sets (that are supposed to look lame so the gear you´ll earn will feel even more awesome to you?) you realise that the spaceships are starter ships (we all have played reach – space battles will come to destiny), the weapons are starter weapons, the level cap doesn´t meant that it all ends at Level 20. you can level your gear, your gun, craft things etc., you are aware that the enemies we encounter are just early grunts? have you accidentally entered one of the caves yet? those dark, atmospheric, creepy caves?

the beta is a teaser, a supertiny piece of the game and what is there just feels right.

i bet that some of you will eat their words at some point. pretty sure about that.

this game is a lifesaver for the shooter genre in general.

people calling this ambitious project generic or lazy must really try to look a bit deeper into things.

this one is new and fresh through and through.

#19 2 months ago
  20. _LarZen_

@Erthazus It’s not a MMO even if the game has realms/instances. Not even close…
    It’s a shared world shooter and that’s just fine. It’s a cool game. But it’s not a MMO.

And what’s up with the language?

#20 2 months ago
  21. harr0w

I fail to see how its original. It has a shared lobby system with instances/areas for set numbers of players. Everything else has been borrowed from other shooters like halo, borderlands, mass effect, call of duty. But to be original in the shooter space is going to take something monumental and this just isn’t it.

#21 2 months ago
  22. NotPanthro

Looks pretty generic to me.

#22 2 months ago
  23. polygem

@harr0w
    imo it is not so much about creating something completely new, like from scratch…that´s not what this game tries to achieve. what it does is taking parts of existing genres and merging it together for something that then feels fresh in it´s own right. the way destiny does that is very well thought out and expertly crafted.

that´s the most important aspect of it really: the way they handle it is what it makes so good. everything makes sense, feels good. what works is in and has been refined, what doesn´t work has been thrown out.

sure. other games have tried similar stuff but here it is done just right for the first time.

i have personally expected that and i have been preaching it the last 2 years.

if one dev could make a project like this work it is bungie.

i am just superglad that my expectations have been mad (they have been huge)…so very very happy about that.

#23 2 months ago
  24. polygem

@polygem

have been “mad” and “met” at the same time :D

#24 2 months ago
  25. OrbitMonkey

I love it. I can see my characters feet in fps mode :)

Anyways if this was also out on pc, half the internet would immediately stop complaining ;)

#25 2 months ago
  26. Panthro

@OrbitMonkey

You know what else I think pretty much sucks … Borderlands 2, and this is what Destiny reminds me off… Just a bigger Borderlands. Meh.

I might be wrong though and it could turn out incredible, but so far it isn’t looking good.

#26 2 months ago
  27. Alatarvinyamar

What I would see as the stumbling block is more around the leveling side. We all know that a Level 10 Paladin can’t exactly join a Level 50 Raid in WOW, but I can jump into any CoD/BF/UT/Quake game and play. I might get my ass handed to me but there’s nothing to stop me playing and getting a couple of kills apart from my innate lack of skill. In WoW I simply wouldn’t have the DPS/Armor/Health to be able to compete.

Not sure how that works in Destiny. I’ve always felt the leveling arc acts more as a disruptor to casual play than anything else. Will I be able to jump into Destiny with my mates who play more/less than me and have a blast on a Monday night or will different leveling speeds screw us up?

#27 2 months ago
  28. OrbitMonkey

@Alatarvinyamar, As long as your mates pick a raid suitable for your level, you’ll be fine.

Even if they bag all the kills, you’ll still share all the xp.

#28 2 months ago
  29. The_Red

And I just realized that instead of “Its” in my first post, I used “It’s” for all of my lines. Edit button :(((

Back on topic, just because something is polished (Destiny and some Nintendo games) doesn’t mean it’s great. Thankfully most Nintendo games have a fun core, are full of personality and often innovate or improve older gameplay elements (Even when a pointless Mario IP is attached to them).

Desinty is NOT like those games.
    Destiny is:
    - The definition of a game without personality. Bungie needed a face / icon / mascot / “character vehicle” like Master Chief to make us interested in the world and without him or any real central character (Unless we count Peter D’s horrible character and voice work) there no sense of attachment to the world (And the actual world / lore aren’t interesting enough on their own to work like a immersive MMO).

- A game with a generic and boring core. This is NOT fun shooting. You want fun shooting? Try the new Wolfenstein. If you want REALLY fun shooting the nails FPS formula? Go back to Doom 1-2, Quake, Blood or Duke Nukem 3D. Some of the weapons and contact effects in Destiny are not just bad, they are “Pew Pew” bad.

- Without a single innovation. The PVP elements are the lamest 2000s modes without any new feature or rule set. PVE is really just what Erth described (Wow, I’m agreeing with Erth!). The weapons and other elements are super toned down form of Borderlands guns. Seriously, not a single new gameplay feature can be found here.

- Seriously, at least Fuse had interesting weapons while being generic as all hell.

@OrbitMonkey
    I’m not a Bungie hater. Halo 1 is one of the best FPS games I’ve ever played and that’s including Doom 1-2 and Blood (My all time fave FPS games). I am also a PS4 only owner (this gen), don’t play any AAA game on PC and know a lot of people like myself who are complaining about Destiny. If the game was on PC, it would still get all the same complaints (And perhaps even more since they would probably lock frame-rate at 30fps).

#29 2 months ago
  30. OlderGamer

I like it. However, I am disappointed with a few things. The lack of AA is an eyesore. It doesn’t alway run smooth. The pvp is terrible, sorry it just is. A few other things here and there. Plus I wonder how long I will want to keep playing, but I think i will get enough out of it to justify the purchase. Imo, best new console shooter in a while. If it matters, I play on ps4. I sold my xbox one.

#30 2 months ago
  31. Erthazus

@_LarZen_ It’s a mmo. If you think that it is not a mmo than you don’t know the genre.
    Shared world shooter is just a PR nonsence to hide it’s real genre because “MMO” genre has become synonymous with “stale” and other shit.

Destiny design is the same design as Guild Wars 1. It’s the same game.

@polygem, you talk too much and can’t even say one ambitious thing about Destiny compared to other FPS games.
    Destiny is mediocre FPS game with mediocre graphics, art direction. It has poor online infrastructure with Borderlands-esque loot system.

So far the only thing that is good is music… Okay. and nothing else.

#31 2 months ago
  32. polygem

@The_Red

we wont agree about this anytime soon :D

#32 2 months ago
  33. polygem

@OlderGamer

I love the pvp. it is just the perfect mix between a more codish feel and halo. it doesn´t take forever to take someones shields down like in halo and it also isn´t a pure twitch reaction, saw you first, killed you first kind of thing.

you have some time and room to evade a kill often.

you also dont have a scenario where teammates constantly “steal” your hard work on an enemy by getting the very final shot at the guy and then the kill, like in halo. i love that.

it definitely didn´t click with me at first but i have now played it A LOT and i completely dig it.

you know what´s the very best about the game? that BEEP Sound when you get a kill. it sounds exactly like in the original lost planet, or at least how i recall it. that BEEP is great :D

#33 2 months ago
  34. Erthazus

I like how some crazy people are brainwashed and think that it is not a MMO but use Bungie’s stupid PR nonsence “Shared World Shooter”. Lool. It has all the systems that World Of Warcraft or Guild Wars one have.

It’s a MMOFPS with hubs, raids and all of the systems that modern MMO’s from 2000 have. It’s idea of SoloQ or “Premade”with friend while attacking together at public raids or PVP is exactly the same thing as in Guild Wars One had. It’s an old MMO game design feature.

#34 2 months ago
  35. polygem

@OG:
    when even you sell a console…it is saying A LOT.

#35 2 months ago
  36. sebastien rivas

Guys this is a fucking video game, NOT PICASSO!!!

Just about all games you find are in fact taken from or inspired from or by something already existing.
    Now what is true is that inspirations or literally parts taken from previous work are in limited quantity, used sporadically and smudges/blended enough to make something new.

If Destiny is not pulled to court then there is no plagiarism; therefore assets are NOT just taken from your favorite old game.

May the game be truly cool and good is left to personal experience.

#36 2 months ago
  37. Panthro

@sebastien rivas

The problem with games taking “too much” inspiration from other games is that it just repeats the experiences you’ve already had but with a new coat of paint.

At this point first person shooter games are becoming more and more generic by the year, hardly anybody is trying anything new and they are just rinsing and repeating and ‘staying safe’ in order to not lose on an investment.

Boooooring!
    The real madness here is the people complaining about the people who say it is generic and want something new.

#37 2 months ago
  38. Kampane

Even though Destiny isn’t that original, it doesn’t mean that it’s a bad game. I do feel like it likes a sort of soul though. It really just feels like Bungie was trying to create the universe that it did with Halo, but fell miles short. Destiny is at its base, Borderlands with better graphics. The story about the Darkness seems a little weird and out of place to me, although it still interests me. Although the previous comments ranted about the visuals, I don’t really have a problem with them. Could they be more original? Yes. But they do create a really awe dropping background. The enemies in Destiny are Halo copies, The hive=flood, Knights=Elites with sword. Which isn’t a bad thing, but it again shows Bungie’s lack of creativity with the enemies. The character models of the enemies look Ok, but the character customization is really well done for the players. My one big problem with Destiny is the Crucible. The Crucible is an unbalanced hot mess. When the game is released and players reach level 20 with rifles dealing 120 damage, how will a level 4 player defend himself? He won’t. The balanced multiplayer that Bungie created in Halo is gone. This isn’t “competitive” this is as an arcade multiplayer with ridiculous one shotting pistols and ground smashes that quad kill enemies with ease. The Crucible is a terrible attempt at competitive multiplayer, and from a developer that created one of the best competitive games in existence, I would have expected something more.

#38 2 months ago
  39. _LarZen_

@Erthazus A MMO have 50-100 people in a same instance/realm/world. Destiny has nothing near that.

It’s not a MMO.

#39 2 months ago
  40. Kampane

@Kampane Forgive the grammar errors I made everyone… they really need an edit button on here.

#40 2 months ago
  41. Kampane

Also I like Peter Dinklage’s voice acting. Well maybe because I’m a Game of Thrones fan.

#41 2 months ago
  42. harr0w

@polygem your right bungie are a masterclass when it comes to development studios. I just expected something as mold breaking as halo was when it appeared back in the day.
    I think like others I set my expectations a little to high. The genre has stagnated and instead of getting the huge leap I wanted we got a something that has pulled together a lot of the right pieces of recent fps games but not another ground breaker.

But I’m sure it will still be a blockbuster bungie shit gold after all.

#42 2 months ago
  43. xiaolinstyle

Not a one of these whiny overblown complaints about Destiny will keep it from becoming the next cultural phenomenon.

#43 2 months ago
  44. OrbitMonkey

You know Destiny will be huge, just from the amount of debate a simple Beta can produce :)

#44 2 months ago
  45. The_Red

@polygem
    Yeah, it’s a deadlock :)
    Hopefully one day during this gen, we will find a game to agree about after (Bloodborne!).

#45 2 months ago
  46. The_Red

@sebastien rivas
    As much as I disagree with Brenna, Poly and other Destiny fans, I disagree a 100 times more with the first part of your comment: Games ARE art.

Super Mario 64, StarCraft, Batman Arkham Asylum and Demons Souls are nothing short of Picasso. Some create truly new experiences like Tetris or Street Fighter. Others take inspiration from their colleagues and THEN add their own imagination, ideas and touches to the mix.
    Games like StarCraft take elements from many other titles (Like previous Blizzard works) and use them to make truly inspiring, engaging and entertaining works of art. Just because games are fun, doesn’t mean they are not art.

To me, Destiny is the sort of game that has taken inspiration from others to create something rather soulless, bland and mostly generic with lots of polish. Like a lame Hollywood blockbuster.

(Also apologies for derailing the conversation into the “games as art” debate but that is something I truly and passionately care about)

#46 2 months ago
  47. deathm00n

Loving how the bad points about the game are:

1) Bad character design – completely subjective. I find it awesome, they were bold to make medieval like armor in a sci-fi setting. Other people may find it stupid and that’s okay. Subjective point, +0

2) Borderlands copy – thought the same thing before playing it. Completely wrong, I stand corrected. It’s like someone took the core concept of borderlands and made the gameplay VERY good and removed the excess drops and stupid guns.

3) Uses ideas from other games – the most stupid argument in any game. Don’t like stolen ideas, go back to the 80s games, where everything was new and fresh. And it’s even more dumb to use this against destiny wich did a very good job of blending diferent ideas. It’s not Halo, it’s not Bordelands, it’s not COD, it’s not Guild Wars. It’s a blend of all this with an very polished gameplay that makes you wish every other shooting game was this responsive. And for me, gameplay > story > design > graphics.

#47 2 months ago
  48. YoungZer0

@deathm00n

I dunno. I remember watching a video about that, but I think they missed the mark.

Medieval armor made sense. It offered protection. This just doesn’t look like it. I would’ve loved the game to pieces if it took more inspiration from medieval style armor.

compare this:

to that:

The third titan is the only one I’d declare to look a little bit medieval.

#48 2 months ago
  49. zombizmo

The best thing about Bungie has always been about how easy to it is to get into their games, and yet it never feels insulting, like a CoD game. This game has a level of polish you rarely see in any other FPS. Not once did I think to myself, “why can’t this mechanic just work this way? It would be so much easier!” Armor is never grossly mismatched causing you to curse your choice of attire. All the weapons are solid to control and viable benefiting anyone who takes the time to learn them, and enemies while not the smartest are as fun to fight as the Elites and their meat shields. As far as I can feel this has the chance to be their best PVP since Halo 3, I can’t wait to try out the other modes. After this weekend it’s going to be a very long wait till September.

#49 2 months ago
  50. bradk825

I have to agree on the hipsterism bit. I don’t have any other way to explain how anyone wouldn’t be loving Destiny. It’s popular, therefor must be uninspired, rehashed etc etc. Meanwhile, a side-scrolling adventure that looks like it was made for NES is an “indie gem” that is completely original and must be praised, or you are the dumbness. Welcome to 2014.

#50 2 months ago
  51. polygem

not generic. fact.

#51 2 months ago
  52. marporte

It has a distinct feel to it, guns and classes handle different enough. Looking at the character tree and subclass tree (I hope there will be more than one subclass to select down the line) the way some of the unique and legendary weapons level up and can be customized this game could lead to some epic raids at later planets. Your class is also relevant like battlefield. Even though you can equip any weapon some classes excel at long, mid, and close range combat and have different stat parameters and you can probably modify your own play style further with subclasses. I expect since this Bungie, the weaker maps are going to be shown in the beta as far as PVE and hopefully there is team deathmatch or regular deathmatch or CTP. Story missions felt different on higher difficulty and there was a change in how ferocious enemies were in different modes instead of just doing increased enemy damage with the same foe placement like 90% of the shooters out there. I expect AI and strategy will play a big deal replaying missions on higher difficulty since there is a world of difference and we haven’t got to legendary difficulty. Borderlands didn’t really have me playing or changing the way I play in new game plus against badass or ultimate class enemies it was the same exact games but enemies hit harder. There is also item creation since we got materials that we can find as well as when we breakdown obsolete equipment and weapons. You can also customize certain armors with shaders to get your own personal appearance to those who paid attention to the vendors and went everywhere in the beta. As far as story goes it is very slow, a few MMOs but since this is a beta it would be stupid to tell you what is in store for you over the next several hours. It feels like an MMO where you can go it alone but when a raid comes or event comes you can use teamwork to get extra XP and there are hidden bosses a one I came across was invincible and can kill you with a single sword swing but it had a ghost log in that room. It is better than the average shooter and at least at level with the average MMO it is a matter of how much deeper the rabbit hole goes before the first level cap. As far as console shooters go this is pretty above average features when you look at the whole picture. There is more depth to this beta then the entire game of Watchdogs(which really isn’t hard to do). For me its a buy and if that glass ceiling is not that high then I will just trade it in cause holiday trade in values are through the roof

#52 2 months ago
  53. BelowZero

@YoungZer0 Check this armor out… definitely inspired by medieval armor. Just had to wait another 2 levels after i found it, but max was 8 in beta.
    Last image here …. http://www.gaminganimal.co.uk/home/destiny-helmets/

and last but not least this image of an arm…

#53 2 months ago
  54. BelowZero

Last image here …. http://www.gaminganimal.co.uk/home/destiny-helmets/

and last but not least this image of an arm…
    .derp