Save your pennies for 2014′s killer holiday game releases

Tuesday, 22nd July 2014 15:17 GMT By Matt Martin

If we’re currently living through a summer release drought you’d better be prepared for a games flood beginning in September. HOLD ON TO YOUR WALLETS.

borderlands_the_presequel (9)

The sun from the summer release drought is baking us. No games are being released. No games are being bought. Brenna’s already suggested a few things you can do to keep gaming during these barren times. The only other alternative is to go outdoors and socialise but we don’t like the sound of human contact.

What you need to do is put all that money you have for ice-creams and cool drinks in a savings account in time for September. Because that’s when all the games start to spill out onto shelves. By October those shelves are creaking and so is your wallet, and come November you’ll be robbing old ladies to pay for your games fix.

We can’t list every digital and DLC release on the horizon, nor those without a solid release date, but here are our pick of the games that are going to Hoover up your cash at the end of the year. Mark the dates in your diary.

September 2

the_sims_4

The Sims 4
The Sims are back! You can buy this for your dad.

September 9

destiny_playstation_exclusive_content_9

Destiny
The first big console AAA release of the season. We’re on it like a tramp on chips.

September 23

Disney-Infinity-Marvel-Super-Heroes

Disney Infinity Marvel Super Heroes
We’re not even going to pretend we’re buying this for the children. Ain’t no shame in collecting toys.

fifa_15_2

FIFA 15
We’re never tired of football. Bring us football every year.

September 26

hyrule-warriors-e3 (26)

Hyrule Warriors
It’s not a proper Zelda game but it looks fun. Let’s get involved!

September 30

forza_horizon_2_5

Forza Horizon 2
The first big racer of the season. Let’s throw some vehicles around in the dirt.

persona_4_arena_ultimax_6

Persona 4 Arena Ultimax
Niche game alert! This will sell about 4 copies but those that buy it will be really, really happy.

Next – October, the month that will crack your wallet open like a nut.

1. aseddon130

GTA V, Forza Horizon, Fifa 15 and Halo Master Chief Collection are definates, eyeing up Alien Isolation and Far Cry 4. Thats me done.

#1 3 months ago
  2. Hcw87

Diablo 3 Reaper of Souls is coming for consoles mid August. It will make the wait for the rest of these games less of a strain.

#2 3 months ago
  3. The_Red

Wow, it’s actually pretty thin for me (Just 2 games):
    Lords of the Fallen and Dragon Age 3. I like Sunset Overdrive but not enough to buy a XB1 for it.

#3 3 months ago
  4. Goffee

You could have at least added Danganronpa 2 (October) for the Vita… inspired mentalist detecting!

#4 3 months ago
  5. Ghostly

september games for pc not on this list

Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm
    IL2 Sturmovik Battle for Stalingrad
    Sherlock Holmes Crimes & Punishments
    Gauntlet
    Stronghold Crusader 2
    Dead Rising 3
    Lords of Xulima
    Styx Master of Shadows

october pc games not on this list

Raven’s Cry
    Legend of Korra

november pc games not on this list

Project Cars
    Dramfall Chapters

pc games not yet dated

Etherium
    Grey Goo
    Invisible inc.
    Planetarry Annihilation
    Rune Master

#5 3 months ago
  6. polygem

Destiny. Bayonetta. The last repurchase of us. Diablo III. Hyrule warriors. Maybe alien. Maybe evil within. Maybe Lords of the fallen. Definitely dark souls 2 dlc. That’s about it I think.

#6 3 months ago
  7. Catalyzer

Some more games that havent been mentioned but deserve to be in the list:
    gta 5 , hyper light drifter , vanishing of ethan carter , avatar legend of korra , tengami , never alone , ori and the blind forest , raven’s cry , the talos principle , pillars of eternity , dreamfall chapters, DR 3 – PC ,
    And some more as @Ghostly pointed out.

#7 3 months ago
  8. The_Red

@Catalyzer
    Holy shit, these are some seriously awesome games that are missing from the article.
    GTA5, Hyper Light Drifter, Legend of Korra (If reviews are good) and Pillars of Eternity are also must buys for me.

#8 3 months ago
  9. Clupula

Not much on this list do I want. Persona 4 Ultimax and The Evil Within and that’s pretty much it. I will observe Dragon Age: Inquisition to see if it’s more like Origins than 2, though. If it is, I will pick it up.

For JRPG gamers, though, September is going to be hell with Ar no Surge, Fairy Fencer F, and a whole shitload of other games. You guys can have most of these.

#9 3 months ago
  10. Hirmetrium

Jesus christ October. Publishers really have failed when they need to shove all those games into that window. that second week alone looks awful.

Also, no smash bros? fail. Also missing a title on Hyrule Warriors.

#10 3 months ago
  11. Catalyzer

@The_Red : yeah , and to be honest these are many many good games to keep me occupied until Feb 24 until the Witcher 3 releases :D
    Right now if you ask me i’d just purchase :
    Gta 5 , DA:I , Hyper light drifter , FC4.(i’ll have to save a lot to even pick these all up)
    If reviews are good , i’d like considering – Lords of the fallen , ACU , evil within.

#11 3 months ago
  12. Rockstar Vienna

GTA V, The Crew & AC Unity for me.

#12 3 months ago
  13. fearmonkey

I am definitely getting the following
    Dragon Age: Inquisition
    Destiny

I am definitely getting the following, but not necessarily at launch.
    Borderlands: The Presequel
    Assassins Creed:Unity
    Farcry 4

I am waiting to see reviews and opinions on the following
    Shadow of Modor
    The Evil Within
    Evolve
    Alien Isolation
    Lords of the Fallen

Good year to be a gamer :)

#13 3 months ago
  14. RandomTiger

Not much for me there. Not on launch anyway.

#14 3 months ago
  15. Obernox

WHY IS ADACHI THERE WITH A PERSONA, LOOKING LIKE A BAD GUY AND STUFF? I HAVEN’T FINISHED P4G YET. OMG THANKS, OBAMA.

#15 3 months ago
  16. Obernox

Nah, joking. Major spoilers though.

#16 3 months ago
  17. Obernox

Man, i made dinner for that guy…

#17 3 months ago
  18. AmiralPatate

GTA V day one for me. As a matter of fact, I’m only waiting for the release date and/or special edition.
    Maybe Far Cry 4 too, but Uplay isn’t playing in its favor.
    Dragon Age, I’ll wait to see if it’s more like DAO or DA2. At any rate, I’ll wait for a price drop.
    I’ll probably get Wolfenstein if it’s on sale, maybe Watch_Dogs but once again, Uplay.

#18 3 months ago
  19. Froseidon

Where is Super Smash Bros. 3DS? :(

Welp, besides that note, it is gonna be an expensive time :S Dragon Age: Inquisition, Destiny, Assassin’s Creed: Unity and depending on reviews, Shadow of Mordor (though I am sure reviews will be fine, that game looks awesome!). Possibly Lords of the Fallen, gonna wait for a hopeful Dave Cook article on that one since it looks similar style to Dark Souls.

#19 3 months ago
  20. Froseidon

@Froseidon
    Edit: Shit, I never noticed he left :(

#20 3 months ago
  21. dazedonthemoon

Destiny, Dragon Age, and Fairy Fencer F are all day one purchases for me. Sooner than that is Tales of Xillia 2. I’m also hoping Freedom Wars gets a date before the end of the year. Gonna keep an eye on Alien Isolation and Evolve. Oh and of course I’ll pick up the free version of Driveclub, not into racers enough to buy.

#21 3 months ago
  22. Deepo

@Obernox: Wasn’t really a spoiler until you made it one. Thanks.

#22 3 months ago
  23. Obernox

Ah shit, my bad.

#23 3 months ago
  24. Legendaryboss

This article came at the right time! Right B4 the delays ;)

#24 3 months ago
  25. dazedonthemoon

@Obernox
    Keep doing stuff like that and maybe they’ll finally add an edit/delete button!

#25 3 months ago
  26. karma

Far Cry 4 is the only one i’m hoping will be good tbh. Everything else either looks 1. dumb and pointless, 2. became stale and boring years ago, 3. is another *sigh* social / online / MMO gamey “shoot me in the head and put me outta my misery” type experience, or… 4. I never liked it in the first place. Srly this list just depresses the hell outta me.

I’m waiting for Fallout 4. Its the only game I actually care about. Really hope Bethesda dont dumb it down like they did Skyrim. Gamers shouldn’t have to mod the hell out of their own games just to make them fun and interesting.

#26 3 months ago
  27. Takeshi

Alien: Isolation
    Dragon Age: Inquisition
    Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor
    The Evil Within
    Assassin’s Creed Unity
    Lords of the Fallen
    Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare
    Far Cry 4
    Pokemon Omega Ruby / Alpha Sapphire

Jesus, I won’t have money for 2015!

#27 3 months ago
  28. TheWulf

Quite looking forward to the new LittleBigPlanet, it’s being developed by Sumo Digital. I’ve found that despite some spotty development, they actually have a lot of really interesting ideas to bring to the table. It was they who designed the Sonic racing games, which are grand exemplars of the karting genre to be sure.

A lot of people I’ve spoken with actually prefer Transformed to Mario Kart 8. Frankly, I like Transformed even better than I liked Double Dash, and Double Dash was my favourite Mario Kart. A lot of it has to do with the boats and the planes, a risk Nintendo would never take. But more than that, each lap of every race tends to vary between a little different, or incredibly different. I love that about it.

Having simplistic tracks where every lap is the same is always a complaint I’ve had about Mario Kart, it made it feel like Nascar to me, and I’m not really a fan of that. Transformed runs with the assumption that the player is smart enough to adapt to a changing track that changes as they race along it.

Also, the hidden shortcuts are of a better calibre, too. I’m still finding some of them, whereas I usually figure Mario’s out within the first week of play. (I actually don’t suck at karting games.)

And now, they’re bringing that ingenuity to LittleBigPlanet. I’m excited, to be honest. I’m very excited, just so long as they don’t phone it in, like I felt they did a bit with the Doctor Who adventures.

The new Skylanders is also a compelling prospect because it marks the return of Toys for Bob to the franchise. One of the things I lamented to fans and parents alike about Swap Force was that the characters were actually notably less imaginative than what I’d come to expect from a Skylanders game. Admittedly, it was still leagues and leagues ahead of any competition, but it also didn’t quite live up to its predecessors.

And the balance was severely suspect, too. It was like Vicarious Visions didn’t really know what they wanted to do with all the characters that weren’t theirs. Their new characters played brilliantly, but old Skylanders could be a bit meh. That’s a problem that Giants didn’t suffer with.

So whilst Swap Force was good, and enjoyable, it wasn’t Toys for Bob.

Star Control II made Toys for Bob legendary in my opinion, and they’ve always had a massive penchant for well done science-fntasy, too. Not just Sar Control II, but Skyrealms of Jorume and Pandemonium as well. Skylanders just continues their science-fantasy tradition, and I love them for it.

So to see them returning for Trap Team? That has me on the edge of my seat.

Plus, there’s a werewolf. They finally added a damn werewolf! I am very pleased by this development.

And the remakes of the only Pokemon games I ever truly enjoyed (Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald) before X and Y became a thing. X & Y + Ruby & Sapphire? Yes please. That’s an equation that I like.

So, at least a few titles there that I’m interested in.

#28 3 months ago
  29. budgiefeet

A 2tb hdd would be handy.

#29 3 months ago