How does Destiny PS3 compare to PS4?

Tuesday, 22nd July 2014 00:26 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Destiny is an absolutely beautiful game, and even more impressively, the PlayStation 3 version doesn’t trail too far behind the PS4 in terms of looks.

Destiny_16

The footage below compares Destiny PS3 and PS4 side by side, and while you’ll definitely see some difference, it’s amazing how much similarity there is between the two.

Digital Foundry goes into lavish detail, as usual, on the differences between the versions. It sounds like the PS3 version has some issues with pop-up and inferior shadows, as well as a lower resolution, but overall sounds pretty impressive.

“Yes, the textures, lighting and effects are dialled back to varying degrees and the image quality takes a noticeable hit when switching back and forth with its technical successor. But the world still looks consistent – and if Bungie’s aim is to prioritise a stable 30fps experience during both campaign and multiplayer, this is already a job well done,” the site wrote.

It’s also worth noting that this is beta code; not only is it likely already out of date, but Bungie has a couple of months to optimise and bug fix before Destiny launches in September for PS3, PS4, Xbox 360 and Xbox One. We’re looking forward to seeing how the Xbox versions look when the beta opens later this week.

1. halberykM

for they first game on PS3 that’s a great achievement!

#1 2 months ago
  2. fengato

” it’s amazing how much similarity there is between the two.”

Destiny was designed from the outset to target the old boxes – I gotta say that find it wholly unsurprising that it looks very similar on PS3/4. It was always going to be a cross-gen up-res/texture job. Terrible shame that 60fps wasn’t targeted for current platforms.

As previous gen software sales are tanking hard (despite the install base advantages), I wonder if Bungie’s parity strategy will pay off.

#2 2 months ago
  3. jmg24bad

I watched the video dualshockers did. and to be honest. ps3 looked good. but it was no where near the level of ps4

#3 2 months ago
  4. OmegaSlayer

For the difference of power between hardware PS3 and 360 version are going to look insane

#4 2 months ago
  5. Game Hunter

Please tell me you can play this game solo without an internet connection. is that to much to ask?

#5 2 months ago
  6. Game Hunter

Nevermind,did some research and found out it doesn’t. Fuck this life.

#6 2 months ago
  7. polygem

I think this is a good thing.
    The Destiny beta is the most beautiful next genesque game that I have played yet on my ps4. It’s the first game that made me think that buying into a ps4 early was a good idea…so what this means is that bungie did an outstanding job with the ps3 version as well. Overall this is good for ps3 players and ps4 players or not?

#7 2 months ago
  8. Dimaco

@7 +1

#8 2 months ago
  9. fengato

@polygem

It’s funny, you’ve justified your PS4 purchase with Destiny – conversely I’m tempted to skip the PS4 version (my main platform) and gamble on a PC version becoming a reality. 30fps first person games just don’t work for me anymore (especially in competitive). 343i have the right idea by moving all future Halo projects to 60fps.

To those who say ‘the average persons can’t feel it’ – I’d argue that COD would never have become so successful on consoles if it had a higher res (720p) though a janky 30fps framerate. It matters.

#9 2 months ago
  10. polygem

@fengato

i have a gtx 780ti powered PC and even if a PC version of destiny would be out, i´d still prefer the PS4 version.

i like playing shooters on the consoles.

not that i couldn´t handle one on the PC. i have played COD4 and a few others pretty competitively on one but i just love controllers. it feels so much better to me with the triggers, the haptic feedback etc. mouse and keyboard feels like playing a point and click adventure game to me. totally not my thing.

i had no issues whatsoever with destiny on ps4. so it runs with 30fps. i don´t give a single fuck. it feels great. the competitive mp feels balanced, smooth, fast. it feels good. that´s what counts for me.

imo playing mp shooters on consoles comes with some advantages as well: everone is the same. same hardware, controllers. that´s pretty cool.

i didn´t enjoy halo 4 as much as i did enjoy halo reach. not even Close. it´s great to have 60 fps but it also is just one piece of the puzzle isn´t it?

what´s important: does a game run smooth and fluid, does it FEEL good – to me destiny felt fantastic.

i leave the mathematics to someone else.

#10 2 months ago
  11. fengato

@polygem

I’m not some tech whore who demands big performance numbers (lord knows we have enough of those fools ’round here). Thing is that I simply didn’t find the alpha or the beta to run smoothly. Felt like there was significant input lag, plus a kind of judder that just made it feel old. Perhaps it’s the frame pacing bug that Digital Foundry have noted. I don’t know, just gives off the vibe of going back to a previous gen game (from a tech standpoint.)

We’re agreed on controllers – I miss triggers and vibration/feedback when forced to use keyboard/mouse. I’m guessing that Destiny on PC (when it finally appears) will have pretty stout controller support though.

#11 2 months ago
  12. polygem

@fengato

i hear you but i personally think that it runs great. i really feel like that :D

regarding controller support on the pc…that could make me switch versions as well then…IF, they would have some dedicated controllers only servers / playlists. otherwise players with controllers would have a disadvantage against M&K players obviously.

i have been thinking about that for a long time, i really believe that on the technical side of things something like that (controller dedicated gamemodes/ servers on PC shooters) needs to become a reality asap and if anyone would be willing to do something like that, i think it would either be valve or bungie.

many pc guys will now say: why would anyone do that, it doesn´t make any sense, it would be a HUGE downgrade to mouse and keyboard…in fact though, it could make a whole lot of sense for a whole lot of players and it would be a huge deal for PC gaming in general. it would be good for PC gaming in General, helping it to become much more accessible for the mainstream market. building bridges.

#12 2 months ago
  13. YoungZer0

Looks impressively bland and uninspired on every platform.

#13 2 months ago
  14. polygem

@YoungZer0
    Hey dude this is the destiny thread not the far cry 4 one…just saying.

#14 2 months ago
  15. fearmonkey

PS4 version is the PS3 version with higher res textures and particle effects, and possible volumetric fogging and lighting improvements. This was what I expected, not surprisng. What is surprising is that the Xbox One has taken time to get to 1080p when its not much of a major increase over the 360 version, just textures and resolution mainly, maybe better filtering and antialiasing.

#15 2 months ago
  16. deathm00n

@YoungZer0 I’ve played it and you couldn’t be more wrong. I’m really sick unispired shooters, but Destiny is nowhere near a uninspired game. At first I was skeptical, “looks like a reskined borderlands”, how wrong I was. The gameplay is simply outstanding, it’s been much time since I’ve played a responsive game like Destiny. The level design is amazing too, the difficulty level is set just right, not easy but not impossibly hard. And the Raid-like dungeon, oh man, how amazing it is.

Really, don’t let looks decieve you. This is NOT just another shooter.

#16 2 months ago
  17. deathm00n

And both PvE and PvP are really good, I myself enjoy PvE more, but the PvP is very good too.

#17 2 months ago