Quantum Break escapes Xbox TV cull

Friday, 18th July 2014 08:56 GMT By Matt Martin

Remedy’s Quantum Break – a TV and game hybrid – will go ahead as planned, despite Microsoft closing down its Entertainment Studios.

quantum_break

The Xbox One manufacturer said yesterday that it is cancelling plans to create original TV content for the home console.

Quantum Break is Remedy’s ambitious TV and game hybrid, where all episodes of the show will ship with the game disc. Players can work through chapters of the game and watch episodes of the show in any order they please.

The project “will be released next year and the game and show both remain on track,” a Microsoft spokesperson told Polygon.

“The news of Xbox Entertainment Studios has not impacted our progress and we’re excited to share more details of Quantum Break at Gamescom in August.”

Microsoft is closing the Entertainment Studios as part of massive cost-cutting measures that include the laying off of over 18,000 employees. However, some TV projects already at various stages of development will be completed, including the Halo TV series.

1. The_Red

Why? The whole “trans-media” experiment is stupid and pointless. I don’t want a TV show mixed with my game and this is coming from someone who LOVES watching most modern TV series.

Let TV greatness remain where it belongs (Game of Thrones, The Wire, Breaking Bad) and let the gaming focus on pure gaming. I fell in love with Remedy because of Max Payne and Alan Wake’s qualities as pure games, not because of the TV related stuff in them.

#1 3 months ago
  2. jonnymelamet

@The_Red I agree and disagree with you.

I agree that most shows and games don’t need to be linked, but it seems as if Quantum Break was designed from the ground up to be this kind of experience.

If it was just shoehorned in to do so then yes, kill the show with a stick.

I think trans-media is one of the next stages in how we consume media. If done right, it can have multiple story lines, one in each medium, that together would for a fully fledged universe. However, if done wrong (Defiance), it is either completely uninteresting or a massive mess.

#2 3 months ago
  3. The_Red

@jonnymelamet
    Maybe this is a matter of personal preference but I DON’T WANT to consume media this way. Trans-media is everything I hate about possible future of entertainment. I want to be fully immersed with a book when I’m reading it and I do NOT want to have to play a game, read a comic or watch a show to learn more about it.

This is Matrix trilogy all over again. I liked those movies (Yes, even the 3rd one) and I enjoyed some of the Animatrix parts but having multiple story lines across the animation project, movies and Enter the Matrix game was terrible. It doesn’t matter how good or bad each story was or how well it was integrated it, it is still unnecessary and annoying. Let the game be JUST the game, the show be JUST the show and book be JUST the book.

Imagine if Game of Thrones would suddenly leave parts out of the books and force people to follow said scenes by watching the show. Then, they would cut the show and say read the removed chunks in book. The GOT book and TV series are both great but if they even try the trans-media route with them (Even for a second), many fans will abandon both in a heartbeat (And rightfully so IMHO).

#3 3 months ago
  4. onlineatron

i thiiiink all of quantum break’s ‘tv’ stuff is in the game, on the disc, so it’s completely separate from the xbox originals stuff anyway

#4 3 months ago
  5. majormayhem70

I’m all for allowing creators create. What may seem seem similar on the surface may be quite different and more creative as you delve deeper. I WANT THIS GAME. Any questions???

#5 3 months ago
  6. bradk825

So it looks like just about everything already announced is not getting cut, Halo Nightfall, Halo, and Quantum Break are the only ones I’d heard of and they are still being made.

#6 3 months ago
  7. Legendaryboss

@majormayhem70 “Any questions???”

#7 3 months ago
  8. majormayhem70

@Legendaryboss Lol. I don’t care who stole the cookies… Wait, are these cookies the chocolate chip macadamia cookies?!? I love chocolate chip macadamia cookies. Damn it, who in the hell stole the chocolate chip macadamia cookies?!?

#8 3 months ago
  9. Opalauge

Sometimes investigation can save time because you don’t have to write an completly pointless article.

#9 3 months ago
  10. ddtd

@onlineatron You’re right, it is. It was never a part of Xbox Entertainment Studios.

#10 3 months ago
  11. ddtd

@bradk825 There were a bunch announced just last month, including a new Tim and Eric show, but none were in production. It seems the only ones safe were the shows that were already underway.

#11 3 months ago
  12. ps4fanboy

Episodes of tv show along with game on disc?
    Thats just long length live action cinematics/cutscenes for game.

#12 3 months ago