The Last of Us on PS3: “we were envisioning something that couldn’t quite be achieved”

Thursday, 17th July 2014 10:56 GMT By Matt Martin

Naughty Dog developer Jason Gregory has said that the PS4 version of The Last of Us allows it to reach the games full potential.

the_last_of_us_ps4 (1)

The Last of Us: Remastered is due for release at the end of this month and has been both praised and criticised for release on a new console system so soon after it’s release on the PlayStation 3.

But lead programmer at Naughty Dog Jason Gregory has said the game was always a little too ambitious for the PS3, and he feels like The Last of Us: Remastered is the complete experience.

“In my view, this is really the way The Last of Us should be played,” he told GameSpot.

“When you look at it on PS4, on PS3 we were envisioning something that couldn’t quite be achieved. It was very well achieved on PS3, but not quite. And on PS4 it feels like the game reaches its full potential.”

Due for release on July 30th, The Last of Us: Remastered will run at 60 frames-per-second although that can be locked at 30 FPS if the player chooses.

1. Legendaryboss

And go.

#1 4 months ago
  2. Beta

I always felt as though the game was being held back on PS3. Really looking forward to this, sold my PS3 version to a friend so I’ve got a bit of the cash already :)

#2 4 months ago
  3. zoopdeloop

@Legendaryboss
    nah too soon
    it will start shortly though :)

#3 4 months ago
  4. HOBO

“Please buy our game again”

#4 4 months ago
  5. Triggerhappy

I don’t know why people get their knickers in a twist about this re release. Why wouldn’t they want to reach a possibly new audience? I’ll definitely be buying it again, maybe not now but in a year or so yeah. Good to know it’s out there, also means I can give my little brother my PS3 copy.

#5 4 months ago
  6. Ghostly

my god this constant coverage of this fucking game movie bores the living shit out of me. Even more so considering they are releasing the same fuckin game all over again full price. What is up with this damn game being on every site every single day

#6 4 months ago
  7. ManuOtaku

I believe they could have given plenty of reasons without mentioning it couldnt be achived on ps3 for The level they had envisioned. it Doesnt seem fair for the ps3, sony and for them, they could had waited for the proper version on ps4. they sound a little bit like bethesda with skyrim.

#7 4 months ago
  8. DLTDawnlight

I hope the bootup load time is MUCH quicker.

#8 4 months ago
  9. polygem

awesome. the way it should be played. wow. man. huge boner. right here. day one! i take two!

#9 4 months ago
  10. Dr.Ghettoblaster

“Luxury” purchase I cannot afford right now

#10 4 months ago
  11. psxman

@DLTDawnlight I couldn’t say if it’s due to switching to a digital copy or due to updates, but boot up is within 5-10 seconds these days.

#11 4 months ago
  12. matirishhh

I’m finishing The Last of Us on PS3 for the 2nd time now, and can’t see anything wrong with it. This is still a benchmark for many games to come. My PS4 doesn’t need 60fps and upped textures, game will not gain much through this, but for those who didn’t play TLOU before, PS4 should be the one to go with.

#12 4 months ago