PS4 system architect Mark Cerny is working on a new game

Monday, 14th July 2014 16:00 GMT By Sherif Saed

Legendary developer and PlayStation 4 system architect Mark Cerny is working on a new indie game for the system, and has talked a little bit about it last week at Develop.

Speaking to Eurogamer at Develop, Mark Cerny told the site that the game is fully funded, but offered no name or date for it, unfortunately.

“I have a few projects. I’m getting sort of an indie title going – it’s not really indie because it’ll be fully funded. But it’ll be nice to be on a project where I know the name of everybody on it, as opposed to one of these largest triple-A titles that staffs hundreds. It’s a very different experience. Also you get to try more concept-based work because it’s smaller. That should be very exciting,” he said.

Cerny did confirm that the game will be developed for PS4 and that he has a genre in mind for it.

1. TD_Monstrous69

Hope it’s better than Knack is all I can say. Which was interesting in concept, but just too repetitive in gameplay.

#1 5 months ago
  2. tezzer1985

@TD_Monstrous69

What game these days, isn’t repetitive

#2 5 months ago
  3. fearmonkey

@TD_Monstrous69 – All I heard was bad reviews about Knack, then I finally rented it and loved it. I finished it and almost finished a 2nd playthough, It was a great game to use for Vit’a remote play as well, I played most of the game that way.

Cerny’s name was on the game, but actually he didnt focus on it as much as he wanted to, as his focus was also on the PS4 launch, I think he said that his time spent on it was like 20 to 40 percent.

He said after it was over, he would like to get a small team together, and make something closer to an indie game, so he is doing exactly what he wanted to do.

#3 5 months ago
  4. Legendaryboss

Knack 2, Believe!

#4 5 months ago
  5. polygem

Knic Knacs

#5 5 months ago
  6. TD_Monstrous69

@tezzer1985 touche’, but then there was the writing, which was ghastly. I can forgive repetitive gameplay if there’s good writing, but good writing went on vacation for this one, and didn’t come back. Every character was some stereotypical arch-type, and the main character’s nothing more than some complicit henchmen for a scientist who’s said to be a genius, seems almost amazing he can boil water let alone discover Knack.
    And @fearmonkey, I kinda got that vibe from this game, that Mark Cerny wasn’t 100% there on making this. But also, don’t assume I’m criticizing the developer by criticizing the game, I’m just saying, Knack was a bad game, in my opinion. Not the worst, but disappointing none the less.

#6 5 months ago