What do you think of Don’t Starve’s controversial multiplayer?

Monday, 14th July 2014 01:12 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Don’t Starve Together is as hotly debated as it is anticipated. Take a look at prototype footage to get an idea of what Klei is aiming for.

dont_starve

Don’t Starve is getting multiplayer in an upcoming update, which has caused friction in the fan base.

Developer Klei Entertainment acknowledged these concerns when announcing Don’t Starve Together, because earlier in proceedings it had made a comment to the effect of the game remaining single-player.

The decision to divert resources into multiplayer development hasn’t pleased some fans, but Klei seems to be taking the project quite seriously and is, as usual, planning to have the community provide feedback throughout the whole process.

In this spirit, here’s the first gameplay footage of Don’t Starve multiplayer. You can read more about the expansion on the Klei forums, and let the indie know what you think of how it’s shaping up. Keep in mind this is early prototype footage, so don’t stick the boot in too deeply.

1. Untold stories

I would love it as the game is hard enough by yourself already unless you’re the robot. Having your resources shared will in my case be tougher

#1 2 weeks ago
  2. The_Red

Sorry but chasing multiplayer is stupid. Adding pointless MP features to a perfectly good singleplayer experience just screams of “WE WANT MP MONEY!”. Now I know they aren’t charging separately for MP but just look how EVERYONE is chasing that concept and pointlessly implementing it in their game.

Just look at Assassin’s Creed Unity where MP equals having 3 clones of yourself on the map and RUINING stealth. This is why I LOVED a game like The Forrest. They didn’t feel the need to shoehorn an unnecessary MP mode. Then there is the beautiful Wolfenstein TNO that went full singleplayer regardless of its genre (FPS).

#2 2 weeks ago
  3. BrokenSpline

I honestly can’t wait. I am not sure what people up in arms about this feature as this is one game that can utilize it.

#3 2 weeks ago
  4. Praglik

As always, no one is forced to use it. My girlfriend is a hardcore fan of Don’t Starve and she is waiting for ages for Don’t Starve to be multiplayer so I could play with her.
    Thanks Klei, do not listen to every player and try to make a game you’re proud of, that’s the only important thing.

As the quote attributed to Henry Ford says: “If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses.”

#4 2 weeks ago
  5. YoungZer0

Looks like a lot of fun.

/someone who enjoyed the singleplayer

#5 2 weeks ago
  6. Llewelyn_MT

@The_Red
    How os co-op in a survival game “chasing multiplayer”? Survival is among the best genres for that.

#6 2 weeks ago