You’ll soon be able to pre-order games digitally on Xbox One

Monday, 14th July 2014 16:32 GMT By Sherif Saed

Xbox One up until this point does not offer the ability to pre-order games digitally. This will soon be changing however, according to Sunset Overdrive developer Insomniac games.

The news comes from an episode of Sunset TV, the developer responded to a fan question asking if they’re going to receive the game’s Day One Edition content if they pre-order digitally. Community manager Brandon Winfrey’s answer was ‘yes’, and also confirmed that we’d soon be able to pre-order games digitally through Xbox One.

We’ve added the episode below, just because these are usually funny.

The game is out October 28, so we’re guessing this will come in one of the upcoming monthly updates Microsoft has been rolling out for Xbox One. Whether that also means pre-loading is coming, remains to be seen.

Thanks, Gamespot.

1. mightyhokie

Awesome. It keeps getting better and better.

#1 6 months ago
  2. KAP

Xbox One is so ahead of its time. Awesome. PS4… pah!

#2 6 months ago
  3. marporte

PC, PS4 and PS3 had that feature already. They MS is catching up to others in this regard. I figured it would have been like this day one since the original plan was to not have traditional disk sharing and DRM. What took them almost a year to implement it on their system?

#3 6 months ago
  4. polygem

Mindblowing. Orgasmic. NextGen.

#4 6 months ago
  5. Hcw87

@2+3

Meanwhile on PS3+4 you can’t even change PSN ID.

Mindblowing. Orgasmic. NextGen. indeed.

#5 6 months ago
  6. CyberMarco

@Hcw87 Such butthurt, much wow!

#6 6 months ago
  7. Hcw87

I never even pre-order digitally. Until digital games actually become cheaper than retail (which they should be allready) then i’ll start doing it.

#7 6 months ago
  8. salarta

And I’m sure they’ll be at the low, low price of $60.

The idea of preordering games digitally is obviously a good thing. I’ve just noticed on Steam that a large portion of the major releases expect people to pay as much as if the game was released physically, or give a very small preorder discount off that full price.

#8 6 months ago
  9. marporte

@Hcw87 Thanks for not answering my question and just stating a fact that has nothing to do with the subject.

#9 6 months ago
  10. marporte

Here is another fact since you want to bring up facts. PS3 and 4 lets you put in your own internal hard drive and not have several USB external HD for a system that is supposed to be “one box” That fact has nothing to do with that post like yours. But when you make posts like that it makes you sound bitter.

#10 6 months ago
  11. Hcw87

The subject in your case was that console A (XB1) was missing a feature console B (PS3) and C (PS4) have had for ages. I provided a similar example where console A has a feature neither console B or C has, or have any plans on implementing.

Also, what took them so long? God knows, it took them long enough to implement other basic stuff, so they obviously rushed the console release. That can be said of both PS4 and XB1 though.

#11 6 months ago
  12. marporte

@Hcw87 PS3 cloud saves first for consoles. Xbox live is superior but how come that idea didn’t come from MS first with its record breaking high failure rate and over priced HD and lack of usb saves devices for the longest time. That can also be said. I know what took MS so long making money on things they shouldn’t overcharge on. I don’t really to ask God why because it was all for sales on hardware but I see your point.

#12 6 months ago
  13. marporte

Like I said for a system the X1 had DRM so preordering digitally makes sense would have been day 1 since the real reason for any sort of DRM is profit and to reduce piracy. I am not slapping the X1 for not having it I just find it lacks logic with their new direction. It feel like they were going to have it and they changed their mind. Changing IDs is cool but I have no need to change my Xbox, Steam, or PSN ID. That is neat but it doesn’t really feel like a selling point over your competitors, I get what your trying to say but that was a lousy analogy

#13 6 months ago
  14. majormayhem70

Both consoles rushed their product to market. There are certain things that one does that the other doesn’t yet and vise versa.

I’m still waiting on Bluray 3d support that “neither” seems in a rush to implement. Looks bad on MS for pushing an “all in one console” that doesn’t support the feature, and even more shame on Sony cause last generations console does but this newer generation doesn’t . Huh? WHAT?!? WOW!!!!

#14 6 months ago
  15. marporte

@majormayhem70 Now that analogy makes more sense

#15 6 months ago
  16. Hcw87

Well, they kinda trashed their idea half a year before they launched their console, so for all we know, pre-ordering digitally would have been there at launch, along with all the other features they talked about (lending friends your games etc).

After they turned it around, they obviously had a shitload or work to do in order to release it DRM-free, so it was missing a whole bunch of features. If it originally was meant to launch DRM free like PS4, we might have had these features earlier, or even at launch.

”Changing IDs is cool but I have no need to change my Xbox, Steam, or PSN ID.”

I’m guessing you’ve never been in clans. People switch clans up to several times a year (i was in a few clans in the late days of the original Xbox, then into X360) and having the option to change your Gamertag/ID is a very convenient feature.

On PS3+4 you have to make a new account for a new ID, which means you’ll lose your trophy collection and saves (not 100% sure of the saves though). So yes, it’s not a minor feature, but something that should be common. It kinda reminds me of the terribad Wii+WiiU system where your account saves on the actual console, which means you’ll lose ALL digital games, savedgames etc, if you sell it.

#16 6 months ago
  17. CyberMarco

@Hcw87 Sure you can change your name on XBL, for a price…

#17 6 months ago
  18. Hcw87

Which i’ll gladly pay, and would gladly pay if the same was offered on PS4. People on my friendlist (XB1) change gamertags surprisingly often, so it’s not exactly a underused feature.

#18 6 months ago
  19. polygem

i´ve been saying this for a while now…the real next gen is pc and wiiu…it. just. is.

:D

#19 6 months ago
  20. polygem

@polygem
    you can draw dicks on the wiiu and try to camouflage them so the admins wont kill your post.
    people say trophies can make you play and experience a game differently…well, the wiiu puts that on a whole new level :D
    seriously, those playstations and xboxes are boring machines. ps360´s with a new paint job. nothing to get excited about really. they are for a generation that believes in marketing and not in gameplay.
    :D

#20 6 months ago
  21. marporte

@Hcw87 Saves are preserved but having to change your name to a clan is name is still not a major feature to me. Xbox focuses on mainly on online shooters which is a money maker this is more of a way to keep up with PC since that market is the king of the genre. One ID is fine because I plan on doing more than shooters my next gen console as a source of online entertainment.

#21 6 months ago
  22. polygem

all these systems have their pros and cons. there is no perfect system. it doesn´t exist.

#22 6 months ago
  23. iMacEagle

what’s the point pre-order overpriced game in digital store? PS3 has it for long time. I buy sometimes games from store but only in sale. Never in full price.

#23 6 months ago
  24. Legendaryboss

Oh dear.

#24 6 months ago
  25. Panthro

Xbox is becoming the best and one of the most accessible gaming platforms of all time and thats pretty much fact, if you need proof read the article above to see reality, thats my opinion anyway so arguing with it wont do you butthurt fanboys much good as its also pretty much a fact.

#25 6 months ago
  26. Legendaryboss

@Panthro Alter ego still up to it’s tricks?

#26 6 months ago
  27. marporte

X1 is leagues better than 360 and the original. But both systems started strong and got lazy when it came to exclusives and AAA when MS feels they are doing well enough. This shock minor shock to their ego this gen as well as the new head of the division should warrant much better things. I just hope MS can keep up the momentum and make some new first party IPs in house.

#27 6 months ago
  28. CyberMarco

@Hcw87 And that’s why you are a blunt fanboy my friend, you can’t even distinguish when something is utter and total bullshit. You even have a Steam account, where you can change your name how many times you like for the price of FREE!

At least be honest to yourself…

#28 6 months ago
  29. Hcw87

…I’m a fanboy for stating i’d pay for a PSN ID change/XB1 gamertag change? That’s some reaching logic right there.

Also thanks for stating the obvious regarding Steam.

#29 6 months ago
  30. marporte

Out of curiosity when you change your ID on steam and Xbox does it message your friend’s list of the change?

#30 6 months ago
  31. fearmonkey

@Panthro “Xbox is becoming the best at 720p and upscaling and one of the most accessible gaming platforms of all time considering it has a underpowered GPU and thats pretty much fact if your a fanboy, otherwise PS4 has more going for it, if you need proof read the article above to see reality but please dismiss the digital foundry articles that show PS4 plays everything better, thats my opinion anyway so arguing with it wont do you butthurt fanboys much good as its also pretty much a fact as thats what i believe so it must be true, and the faeries brushed their mystical magic powder on it and thats going to bump it up to 108-p 60fps so there.”

I fixed it for you. :)

#31 6 months ago
  32. Panthro

@marporte

Can’t speak for Xbox but Steam doesn’t.

If you go on there profiles and click an arrow by there name it shows you all there previous names thougg

#32 6 months ago
  33. Panthro

@fearmonkey

PC master race

#33 6 months ago
  34. CyberMarco

@Hcw87 So you are alright with paying I guess, well can’t me more obvious…

#34 6 months ago