How does Battlefield Hardline justify a $60 price tag?

Friday, 11th July 2014 09:20 GMT By Matt Martin

Steve Papoutsis, exec producer on Battlefield Hardline, has defended the game’s content and revealed more details of the upcoming shooter.

battlefield_hardline_2

Speaking with fans directly via Twitter, Papoutsis answered a criticism from some players of the beta that the game feels like Battlefield DLC and not a standalone game.

He also hinted at new maps, heists and other features, as well as confirming support for 64 player maps. Read the full exchange below, as presented on the Battlefield blog.

1. dsr

He is trying to counter every question with “we’re working on it” or “its already fixed” or “development is an ongoing process, stay tuned”.

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.

#1 6 months ago
  2. The_Red

It’s a BF4 mod. Doesn’t matter how much content you cram it. EA just wanted a quick and dirty BF game to fill the 2014 slot and forced it upon poor Visceral after (After EA raped their Dead Space franchise).

#2 6 months ago
  3. OrbitMonkey

So basically we’re shitting on this because Battlofield 4 was a mess?

Poor Visceral.

#3 6 months ago
  4. polygem

shit game stays a shit game, no matter the price tag.

#4 6 months ago
  5. Malmer

In some ways they brought it upon themselves to be called an expansion pack by calling it Battlefield. If it was simply called Hardline and nothing else then no one would have called it an expansion pack (even if it is, which I doubt though). So with the added exposure of calling it Battlefield they get some negativity as well.

#5 6 months ago
  6. Legendaryboss

Wait a second? Did Battlefield Hardline already launch? Hows the story? Whats the resolution & FPS on consoles? Was it broken or was it working? Can’t believe we are in fall already!

Wait, it is just opinions based on the beta? Not the full product? Oh dear… Until it launches all your opinions about the ‘game’ is invalid.

#6 6 months ago
  7. CyberMarco

Sorry for off-topic but since the forums are a graveyard I thought I should comment here.

I just received the Turtle Beach headset I won the other (btw got it in less than 3 days) and OH-MY-GOD!!! I’m a believer now, the audio quality is beyond amazing. This is my first pair of headset as I haven’t had any experience before.

I played a round of BF4 Obliteration on hardcore (with no mini-map) and the sound was a major factor to understand my surroundings. Not only was I able to hear footsteps for meters away, but the whole environment was alive. The grass, the foliage, the gunfire was superb. Seriously what kind of sorcery is this?

Thank you VG24/7 for the opportunity, I don’t think I’ll be able to game without them now. I’m a believer! :D

#7 6 months ago
  8. harr0w

Oh look they learnt how cut, copy and paste. I’m glad there’s companies out there like EA who take pride and have passion in creating games and not robbing the consumer blind. :/

#8 6 months ago
  9. Negduke

Quite enjoyed the beta but don’t think i want to be paying out for another battlefield yet.

#9 6 months ago
  10. Llewelyn_MT

@CyberMarco
    Were you actually playing Batllefield on speakers?! What kind of nonsense is that? :D

#10 6 months ago
  11. Dog4life

My biggest complain is bad netcode and bad rush maps for BF4.

I’m happy if Hardline solves this issues mentioned and i will be willing pay full price.
    Sure it’s not a new game, more like a big dlc. But still happy if they do things right.

And hey sorry guys, many sequels are lame copy &pastes ;)

#11 6 months ago
  12. CyberMarco

@Llewelyn_MT Yeah I know, but not anymore. Death to crappy stereo Hi-Fi systems, long live headsets!

#12 6 months ago
  13. Malmer

@CyberMarco What about good Hifi systems?

#13 6 months ago
  14. CyberMarco

@Malmer Those are welcome too, didn’t scratch the off my list. =)

#14 6 months ago
  15. ArithonUK

New modes? New NAMES for the same modes. New models? Where, because the same generic buildings from BF4, right down to the cranes and bus stops were the same. New gameplay? Putting back the grapple from BF2 isn’t “new”. New animations? Is a re-skinned model moving, a “new animation”?
    What part of “this is a mod” are they unclear on? Half-Life(1) was a quake mod. BF: Star Wars was a BF1942 mod, DayZ was an ARMA mod – you can change more than the name and it is STILL a mod.
    Same game modes, same weapons, same game mechanic, same sound effects, same map scenery/models/buildings.
    I’ve no objection to a mod. BF:Hardline is lightweight fun, but it isn’t a BattleField game and it most certainly ISN’T A FULL PRICE GAME!
    Not worth £60 ($100+ USD) which is what it is priced at here in the UK. They’re just taking the piss.

#15 6 months ago
  16. polygem

@Legendaryboss
    like your opinion about the wiiu is i assume…….because you don´t own one.

#16 6 months ago
  17. polygem

@CyberMarco

for me – headphones/ -sets only for gaming – always. even on the handhelds.

good to hear (lol) you enjoy them – let´s play destiny soon and check out that mic too…screaming @ motherfuckers while shooting them in the a-hole.

#17 6 months ago
  18. Legendaryboss

@Polygem
    1st error: Wii U is irrelevant & isn’t a beta product but if thats what you think I’m in absolute shock. 2nd error: Don’t own one = never ever played it. 3rd error – fact: You know nothing as always.

Heres the taste of my impressions: Its overhyped, by you, its not getting a Pokemon MMO, Zombi U is average, two upcoming games isn’t enough/nor does it make it a viable purchase – the end. It is not my problem that you muddle the facts used, in place of what i think of Wii U, thats a completely different perspective altogether.

#18 6 months ago
  19. polygem

@Legendaryboss
    Yeah….Oh dear, seems completely invalid.

#19 6 months ago
  20. Legendaryboss

I don’t know why I even bother…

#20 6 months ago
  21. OrbitMonkey

Welp, I hope no-one here wanted another Deadspace.

If Hardline is a hit, thats all EA will have visceral make. If it sinks, EA will shutter them.

#21 6 months ago
  22. polygem

@Legendaryboss
    I know, because only then you will learn…deep inside you know it.

#22 6 months ago
  23. dontbescaredhomie92

Seeing as this is clearly a copy and paste job then I’m going with no, they can’t.

#23 6 months ago
  24. tracyis300

The best question was “why do cops have RPG’s?” Hahaha his answer was questionably?

#24 6 months ago