There is one place where Wii U is outselling PS4

Wednesday, 9th July 2014 16:47 GMT By Sherif Saed

mario_kart_8

That place is Japan, according to the Media Create charts for the week of Jun 30 to Jul 06, Nintendo’s console has sold 9,961 units this week and 10,653 units last week, overtaking PlayStation 4′s 7,876 units and 8,059 units for the same weeks.

Interestingly, the Wii U had only one game in the top 20, Mario Kart 8, which had sold 9.386 units that week and 512.223 units to date in the region. Which actually exceeds Nintendo’s own estimates. Though this number was based on an earlier date.

Despite losing to the Wii U, PlayStation 4 had three games in the top 20, all of which totalled just above Mario Kart 8′s number for the week.

Nintendo’s lead could be explained by the lack of interesting software currently available on PlayStation 4, that and Mario Kart 8, everyone loves Mario Kart.

Thanks, NeoGaf.

1. Clupula

I really think it’s just a case of Mario Kart being popular with the Japanese (but obviously not TOO popular, since the Wii U not only didn’t supplant the 3DS or Vita in sales, but is still sub-10k), and nothing on the PS4 currently being.

#1 3 months ago
  2. Legendaryboss

So Media Create (alongside store updates) vanished for weeks and it returns in half-hearted fashion… Well okay, I’ll just click on the neogaf link to get the full details.

Oh dear the market is still averaging on depressing. Yokai Watch is doing well in anticipation for Yokai Watch 2. Freedom Wars did big numbers over in Japan, unlikely to happen in the West considering the decision Sony made with Japan Studio games. Oh well they will never reach that 1 million target now, 500k at best. The laughable performance of Wii U & PS4, just says it all.

#2 3 months ago
  3. Dragon

Yeah right. Instead of ripping off headlines from neogaf (and wrong headlines at that , it would be better to publish the media create chart which comes on every wednesday as done by gematsu and many other sites. I wonder if the inference (which is hilariously wrong) made just so it attracts more clicks.

And Wii U has been outselling PS4 for more than a month now, but I guess that was too much research.

#3 3 months ago
  4. polygem

Great innovative concept. Fun console with amazing games…that’s all there is to say really. People not buying into it miss out…of course they are bitter.

#4 3 months ago
  5. Dragon

@Legendaryboss ,
    That one million thing is hearsay that people/clickbait media love to spread. One member of dev team only said that it would be nice if it sells 1 million. That was never the expectation for a new IP, on Vita nonetheless.
    FW did better than expected and the hold this week is better than expected too (2nd week is better than GE2 2nd week). Its a big success for Vita already.

#5 3 months ago
  6. ManuOtaku

I believe that this will be a turning point for the wiiu, and e3 made some people change the perception torwards wiiu. Showing/releasing good games and a commitment to not abandon it, really made people see wiiu under another light, to the point of consider it a worthy second console.

Of Course the situation with ps4 and One exclusives also helped, but as with each passing good nintendo game released, the wiiu value will increase and it will shine the brightest late in the lifecycle.

#6 3 months ago
  7. Dragon

“No, this isn’t a joke. The Wii U is indeed selling more units than the PlayStation 4, and it has been doing so for two weeks in a row.”

Its not a joke for anyone who follows Japanese sales figures btw. Its a simple fact when you compare wiiu lineup to ps4 lineup in japan, which is pathetic.

#7 3 months ago
  8. Legendaryboss

Oh.

Turning point? Well okay if you say so, heavy commitment to one system means the other gets slim pickings.

#8 3 months ago
  9. OlderGamer

Imo, Dragon, the line ups for all three consoles are greatly lacking in all territories. I think the hardware has been selling off the promise of great next gen gaming. A promise that has largely been unfulfilled.

#9 3 months ago
  10. polygem

i have said this all the time. it´s shortsighted to judge if a system will be successful within it´s first few years. a lot of things can change in a console gen. dragon and boss have been the most vocal wiiu doomsayers this site ever had, repeating their story week after week…i hope you´ll still be around in a few years, when the wiiu lifecycle has ended and the wiiu situation can finally be judged. i am pretty confident that this will teach you a lesson or two.

#10 3 months ago
  11. onlineatron

who ordered the ‘make all out headlines as obtuse and buzzfeed-y as possible’ mandate on vg247? used to be a person could read this website without feeling like they came to the wrong place

#11 3 months ago
  12. Legendaryboss

Seriously what does Wii U’s “success/doom” have do with anything? Console sales of new consoles aren’t too hot in Japan.

But since YOU bring it up, it is not my problem if you don’t like the reality of situation that you would prefer me to postpone my viewpoint for a “few years” so you can accept the ‘truth’ at a later date (or not hear it all). If the situation changes, the viewpoint changes. Real simple.

#12 3 months ago
  13. Dragon

@OlderGamer ,
    PS4 lineup in Japan is objectively bad. Why? Since there are just no games. This week ps4 got a akibas strip which already came on ps3 and vita, and failed miserably.

That is not a problem worldwide. There are tons of games for ps4 and x1 and much more coming, wiiu is dead aside from once in a while ninty game.

________________________________________
    Although I have to give it to the author. He successfully attracted the quota of clicks required with the heading. No wonder the quality of vg247 headings has gone downhill since the revamp. Its funny that some people are mistaking it as some form of wiiu renaissance.
    Protip from someone who follows Japanese sales numbers for both media create and famitsu every week – it isn’t.

Btw, I remember us getting articles on how vg247 has increased readership before the revamp. Dont remember them after the revamp. Coincidence?

#13 3 months ago
  14. polygem

there is a difference in saying: the wiiu doesn´t sell so good right now, let´s see where this goes or saying: the system is dead already, a complete failure.
    huge huge difference…but i see, you are looking for your backdoor already.

#14 3 months ago
  15. Legendaryboss

Again your problem, not mine.

#15 3 months ago
  16. polygem

@Legendaryboss
    i wouldn´t call it a problem but that post perfectly reveals your attitude towards almost everything.

#16 3 months ago
  17. Legendaryboss

Thats the spirit, Poly!

#17 3 months ago
  18. polygem

@Legendaryboss
    Unfortunately that’s your spirit yes…making it so hard to openly discuss stuff with you.

#18 3 months ago
  19. Legendaryboss

Then don’t bother, I’ve already gotten bored.

#19 3 months ago
  20. polygem

@Legendaryboss
    Then don’t bother as you said you wouldn’t a million times but then you still always reply. I think it is because I am hitting a nerve, having a point :D

I will continue to tell you how I feel about your questionable posting style and shady conclusions as long as I believe it’s necessary.

#20 3 months ago
  21. Game Hunter

console sales in Japan are pathetic compared to EU and NA.just shows that cheap f2p can easily fool Japanese people into throwing tons of cash in their faces.

#21 3 months ago
  22. Talkar

Awesome!
    I just bought a Wii U last saturday, and that was only because of Mario Kart 8 x)

But now i have my eyes on Super Mario 3D World.
    Which i hope is as great as it looks, since the last time i played a Mario game was Super Mario 64 on well, my N64.

#22 3 months ago
  23. Game Hunter

Microsoft should cut the cord of Xbox in Japan.it’s an absolute waste to launch X1 in there.

#23 3 months ago
  24. Dragon

@Game Hunter,
    “.just shows that cheap f2p can easily fool Japanese people into throwing tons of cash in their faces.”
    f2p games are popular worldwide, so what is your point? And what platform for f2p are you talking about? And btw, your statement is patently false and can be taken as slightly racist, mind you.

#24 3 months ago
  25. Game Hunter

@Dragon you westeners can’t resist to call people racist(not all of you,but they are many of em out there).it’s ridicolous because big AAA devs in Japan rip their arses to make a game only to gain less money than their f2p devs who put much less time in games while their games are downloaded because they’re free but earning tons of money afterwards with microripactions.

#25 3 months ago
  26. Dragon

@Game Hunter ,
    “it’s ridicolous because big AAA devs in Japan rip their arses to make a game only to gain less money than their f2p devs who put much less time in games while their games are downloaded because they’re free but earning tons of money afterwards with microripactions.”
    That is a worldwide phenomenon.
    It may sound as gloating, but on this site, no one follows Japanese sales as much as me (among old-timers). In Japan, its simply a case of handhelds being preferred over home consoles. It could be because Japanese society is more “busy” than western ones and prefer portable entertainment for that reason. 3DS and Vita , also mobile games do good for that reason. Its not about f2p. Let me give a solid example for that-
    Puzzles & Dragons is a famous f2p mobile game for gree, yet they made a 3ds version and it sold beyond expectations (over 1 million).

That said though, its true that mobile market is causing the console market (including handhelds) to shrink. Games are enjoyment. I don’t get why anyone should be called a “fool” based on what they enjoy, much less generalize a country based on that.

Just so you know, I am not a westerner.

#26 3 months ago
  27. Game Hunter

@Dragon well in that case I apologize because of that statement.

#27 3 months ago
  28. Dragon

@Game Hunter,
    Its ok dude. Its just that I find any country specific generalizations (bad ones) rubbing me the wrong way. Philosophically, I feel those generalizations are the cause of most hatred present in the world.
    Sorry.

#28 3 months ago
  29. lexph3re

I just bought a Wii U last week in US… It should increase american figures……

And also….. “that and Mario Kart 8, everyone loves Mario Kart.”…… Ni

#29 3 months ago
  30. Untold stories

You know I knew Mario kart was a system seller that’s why I bought one, but I never knew that it would be this big

#30 3 months ago
  31. dreamcastnews

Hmmm, I think the sales figures for the Wii U in Japan are solid for how the market is now, if this was like 2009 for example, it’d be laughable. It is a shame really as the console is pretty good (for my needs, anyway) and I find the PS4 an awesome system too and both deserve better than this, I think if the Wii U can keep spiking in sales when a new release comes, it may stand a chance of being respectable in terms of sales, nothing amazing but considering it’s lagging behind the Dreamcast still – it’s sure a stark tale that home console gaming needs to change in the next generation.

I’d be interested to see what Hyrule Warriors and Bayonetta 2 do, I have a feeling that they may not have the impact that I’d expect.

#31 3 months ago