I didn’t want a Destiny special edition until I saw this trailer

Wednesday, 9th July 2014 00:18 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Destiny has three different special editions available and although the text descriptions Bungie offered yesterday were pretty dry, this video detailing the contents made my credit card fall out of my wallet and beg me to use it.

Destiny Ghost edition

As detailed yesterday, Destiny has two physical special editions as well as a digital version for those who like to keep it all in the cloud.

The common content of all three is pretty cool – a collection of exclusive in-game items and access to both planned expansions.

But the physical stuff found in the Limited and Ghost editions? I wasn’t keen. I don’t need more tat cluttering my house.

Then I watched the trailer below. Okay, so: I’m still not going to shell out for a plastic Ghost replica, but suddenly I want that Guardian Folio so much my chest hurts. Tragic fangirl? Looks like it. This is the first triple-A game I’ve pre-ordered since Skyrim.

Destiny is coming to PlayStation 3, PS4, Xbox 360 and Xbox One in early September. Pre-order score beta access, and PlayStation owners take up arms on July 17. Xbox players will have to wait two additional weeks to join in.

1. Vigil

The Ghost Edition sounds cool as it’s a mini Peter Dinklage in a box, but the price is extortionate at £149.99.

#1 2 months ago
  2. Capt.N00P

“Xbox players will have to wait two additional weeks to join in.”
    from July 23-27

#2 2 months ago
  3. TheWulf

I’m not interested in the game, but I do like the Ghost replica.

Gods, the Ghost thing just reminds me of how much it’s taking off of PSO though, in so many ways. I mean, PSO had these little, hovering bots that hung around behind your shoulder and offered various forms of combat support.

I’d be into Destiny if the writing wasn’t so bad and it didn’t feel like the assets were stolen from a bunch of games I all ready liked.

I guess… what gets to me most about Destiny yet is that I haven’t seen anything at all that marks it as an individual entity. Its identity seems to be entirely borrowed, with nothing to say what it is, what’s at its core, what the essence of the experience is. It feels like a general grab bag of stuff, but I’m not seeing the passion. I’m not seeing what makes Destiny, Destiny.

#3 2 months ago
  4. polygem

@TheWulf
    Listen to the bungie podcast. Seriously. Very entertaining. It also becomes very clear that they took a lot of care to make the game feel unique. In fact it is crazy how deep their thinking goes for this ip. I am super confident that this one will become a benchmark for the video game culture as a whole.

#4 2 months ago
  5. polygem

That said…I can’t decide which version to get
    XD planned to go digital but this limited edition is tempting indeed.

#5 2 months ago
  6. Brenna Hillier

@polygem I still tend to use discs for games I think I’ll want to keep installed, ’cause of limited HDD space, otherwise I’d probably do that too, since the in-game stuff is what matters to me.

Well, I mean, that was my thinking before I saw this…

#6 2 months ago
  7. polygem

@Brenna Hillier
    i think i will preorder the limited now, i can cancel the preorder later if i will change my mind and then go for the digital version instead…but i don´t want to see this being sold out and then realising that i desperately want it :D
    good point about hd space btw. especially with ps4 and PS+ in mind. probably clever to keep the hdd clean for all those upcoming plus games of the next years.

#7 2 months ago
  8. Revolting

I’m super torn on this. I really want that Ghost edition, but I refuse to pay the extortionate price. It’s a reasonable price in US dollars, but in the UK, GAME (who have the exclusive rights to the Ghost edition) are charging very nearly double what Americans will pay for it. it’s ludicrous and infuriating.

@Brenna I was thinking the same, but actually I may have changed my mind. For a game I’m likely to play a hell of a lot (and keep coming back to when there’s new things to, mmo-lite as it is), I’m thinking it’s actually more practical to not have it on disc, as games you’ve installed from disc on PS4, you need to keep putting the disc in to play. I’d like to not have to do that for a long-term commitment game. (Thinking in terms of wear and tear rather than laziness.)

#8 2 months ago
  9. polygem

@Revolting

Hey hey, don´t make me confused again xD

i just preordered the limited Edition for 109 euros and it feels indeed a bit insane tbh.

i hope that the digital content will be worth it.

it would be handy to have the game on the hard drive. i am torn on this as well. i would prefer it if the limited edition would have a download code in the case or in a special envelope instead of the gamedisc…that would be my perfect choice.

#9 2 months ago
  10. Luciferous

What I took from the trailer…

The player Character is VOICED??? I did not know that and now I am extra sold!

I’ll probably go for a digital edition, depending on the cost.

#10 2 months ago
  11. Revolting

@polygem Yeah, unfortunately on PS4, if you install a game from a physical disc (which still takes the same amount of HDD room as if you’d downloaded a digital version!) you have to have the disc in the drive to play. It’s how they authenticate. Remember the awesome “here’s how you share a game on PS4! Just hand over the disc!” video from E3 2013? This is the downside of that. Disc in tray to play, even though it’s filling up your HDD.

@Luciferous Yeah, that totally took me by surprise too! It was a nice little confirmation that there’s actual story here, not just drop in and shoot. Which we’ve always known, but a lot of the game’s detractors seem to insist is not the case.

#11 2 months ago