Assassin’s Creed: Unity is a “new narrative start” for the series

Wednesday, 9th July 2014 12:51 GMT By Dave Cook

Assassin’s Creed: Unity marks the beginning of a new narrative arc for Ubisoft’s franchise. Bye bye Desmond.

assassons_creed_unity

Speaking with Examiner, creative director Alex Amancio said of Unity’s plot, “It’s a new start, it’s a new narrative start. That is symbolized by a completely new context for the present day

“You’ve seen a little bit of an evolution with Black Flag, [but] we’re not going to do the same thing. What we’re doing with Unity is really the beginning [of] this new cycle of Assassin’s Creed games

“Because it’s new, we can actually explain it properly because nobody is going to feel like it’s redundant. I would say that Assassin’s Creed Unity is the best entry point for the franchise since [the first Assassin's Creed].”

Unity really does sound like a fresh start, as far as Amancio’s explanation is concerned. What are you expecting from the game’s modern day plot arc?

Via CVG.

1. jdfoster00

I feel heavily invested in the meta story. If they go away from that now it would be a disgrace to all the fans who have supported the game all these years. Should deffinitley have more story elements in the game regarding the meta story not less or just forget about it!

#1 6 months ago
  2. Luciferous

@jdfoster00 I need to know where things go after the end of Black Flag… Who were you, what is that crazy First Civ wench up to?

Hopefully it finds ways to fit these in to this ‘new’ starting point.

#2 6 months ago
  3. thegrimmling

New start = No icky girls allowed.

#3 6 months ago
  4. Tormenter

But they didn’t finish the previous ‘narrative start”.

I’m getting really po’d with video game makers so thoroughly marginalising story..

That’s it, I’ve made up my mind.. I’m not buying anymore PC games (buying) unless they start giving us proper finished stories.. I’m sick of being led by my nose through story after story only of it to be overblown,self conscious rubbish (Bioshock Infinite), plain unfinished (the complete story in a sequel that doesn’t happen, or apparently they feel they don’t even have to continue the story in a sequel even thou they said..) or just short incomprehsible crap (just pick one.. OH, OH, Murdered Soul Suspect).

I’m buying no more narrative driven AAA, because they ignore the most important part.. the narrative.. video game writers simply can’t write them to save themselves (as a general statement, exceptions prove the rule.)

From now on a game has to prove to me that it’s not just going to be all fur coat and no knicker. If the game can’t prove to me it has satisfying plot beats and an actual acceptable conclusion that ties up floating plot points. They no longer get bought, there are too many games out there now to simply buy those that can’t prove their worth.

So that’s it. I have a new level of acceptance for my video games, if they try to tell a story… they’d better fucking tell it.

#4 6 months ago
  5. salarta

@Tormenter It’s possible that the new game will continue the broader narrative of past games, only from the perspective of a different character and their ancestry. Even so, I think there are many creative works that get cut off before a real conclusion. The experience along the way is more important.

What I’m far more concerned with is that this “new narrative start” translates to “no girls allowed, unless we have time left over after polishing the windows on this one building here.” They’ve drawn a line in the sand that says you can’t have a female protagonist in a main installment of this franchise, only in spinoff titles created to be played on portable platforms. The implication being that they tow to the idiotic corporate line of “We think our audience is mostly men, so we can only ever have men for main series protagonists, but we might throw women a bone if we aren’t too busy throwing money for that sort of work down the drain in favor of elaborate and terrible marketing schemes.”

#5 6 months ago