Why is The Last of Us: Remastered happening?

Monday, 7th July 2014 02:03 GMT By Brenna Hillier

“The Last of Us doesn’t need a remake”, PS3 owners sob into their pillows. But Sony is pretty sure PS4 owners would like to try Naughty Dog’s lastest, too.

the_last_of_us_remastered

Judging by PSN data, most PS4 owners haven’t played The Last of Us, SCEE UK product manager Josh Walker told MCV. That’s one of the reasons why Sony greenlit a remake so soon after the game’s PS3 release.

“The Last of Us is considered one of the most significant titles of the last console generation, winning countless awards. It would be almost unfair for all our new fans to never play a game like this,” he said.

“We’ve looked at PSN data and can see a huge proportion of PS4 players haven’t experienced The Last of Us yet.”

Since The Last of Us really is one of those must-have PS3 titles, this fact corroborates earlier reports suggesting many PS4 owners weren’t on board the Sony boat last generation, jumping ship from Microsoft and Nintendo – or even joining gaming for the first time.

“This is quite indicative of the shift in the market and the many players who have migrated from competitive platforms that we’re glad to welcome to PlayStation,” Walker said.

The Last of Us: Remastered is a revamped version of the PS3 original which runs at 1080p and possibly 60FPS. It includes all the PS3 DLC, too. Expect it on July 29 in North America and August 1 in Europe and beyond.

Thanks, Gamespot.

1. Vigil

So in short “We have nothing coming out, and Last of Us was pretty cool, so here it is again to stop you asking about content lag.”

#1 2 months ago
  2. majormayhem70

Unlike the Halo Master Chief Collection, this is too soon. I’ll wait till I find it in a bargain bin and pick it up for the low low.

#2 2 months ago
  3. derpachu

Because $$$$$$

#3 2 months ago
  4. BrokenSpline

Its at the rank 20 in the USA for Amazon so there is a demand for it. SOny is doing exactly what they should.

Haters gonna hate.

#4 2 months ago
  5. derpex

TLOU is practically a new game to at least half (~4 million) of PS4 owners that never owned a PS3 and never had a chance to play it.

TLOU is one of the most critically acclaimed video games ever and sold 6+ million copies on PS3, it’s coming with full DLC and multiplayer, 1080p 60 fps with better textures and visual effects, and releasing at a discount price.

The only thing that companies care about when releasing remakes is whether it makes them money. In this case, it’s bound to make them lots.

#5 2 months ago
  6. fengato

The visual upgrade will be nice and all – it’s the consistent 60fps that’s important. TLOU was too much for the creaky PS3, and the gameplay was janky as a result of the uneven framerate. Looking forward to this game playing properly (just like Shadow of the Colossus benefited from running at a consistent clip.)

#6 2 months ago
  7. LovesALLformats

I agree. Def Sony needs the money. And doesn’t have anything other than LBP. Which never appealed to me

#7 2 months ago
  8. polygem

Medievil or GTFO

#8 2 months ago
  9. kisame

Because Milking the stupid cows is fun

#9 2 months ago
  10. Seventizz

I don’t buy Sony consoles, but if I did – this re-release less than a year old would make me nervous. I know everyone’s saying the 50% of users never owned a PS3, but I call BS. I still feel the new consoles are in their early adopter phase and this holiday the casuals will start to get on board.

#10 2 months ago
  11. Game Hunter

I bet the all the users who accuse Sony of milking the game didn’t read the article. I have an X360 and never had a PS3,and for current Gen I’m going for PS4.does that mean I have to pay another 200$ to play one of the most critically acclaimed games of PS3 or pay for the ridiculous rent prices of PS Now with my horrible internet connection (1024mbps,which actually equals 128 kilobytes per second)?Sony is giving the immigrants (can’t think about a more suitable word)a choice they never had before.yes,there’s also an intent of making another profit out of the game,but it’s their ip for God’s sake.they can do thousand remasters for it if they like.

#11 2 months ago
  12. gomersoul

I really like the fact that some of the most fantastic games of last gen are being remade to be enjoyed with even more details. The 360 and ps3 didn’t have the power to deliver the best possible experience, I wish more games were remade. Tomb raider anniversary was fantastic, this will be fantastic, as will gta. Now all we need is mgs1 remade and a few others that I’m sure we would all love to see given the new gen paintwork. If you don’t want remakes don’t buy them, but I do want them to enjoy all over again.

#12 2 months ago
  13. illuminatusv

It is Sony’s decision what games they want to release on the PS4. Why we discuss this? If Sony thinks they can make money out of it so let them do… I personally will not buy the game or the console itself after my experiences with PS3 and PSN, but others will do, thats fine!

#13 2 months ago
  14. Llewelyn_MT

I don’t feel like great titles like The Last of Us or Tomb Raider should not be re-released for the current generation if so much crappy games that don’t deserve it get it anyway.

P.S. Get a gaming PC. No “next gen” nonsense there.

#14 2 months ago
  15. aseddon130

Because when it came out most people said ‘why didn’t they save this for PS4′ or ‘why didn’t they release this on the much more powerful PS4?’ and Sony said ‘why don’t we just release it on both’ and the people who didn’t bother playing it on PS3 now get the opportunity to play it again in a better version.

That’s why.

#15 2 months ago
  16. Dragon

Some people have problems with companies releasing products for another set of people (like tlou PS4 here) . Some people even has problems how other people spend their own money on entertainment.
    These people reinforce my believe in great internet fuckwad theory.

@Game Hunter,
    That makes too much sense. +1

You should let the internet community decide what you want to buy and what you enjoy and what you want to spend money on. Also, since I am a fanboy salesman , I will end by saying that as a mature gamer, you must buy a wiiu, gaming pc, and every other console the internet demands, because single platform owners are supposedly bona fide fanboys and they should become a part of glorious multiple console owning master race.

#16 2 months ago
  17. polygem

@Dragon

Also, good points about multiplat gaming!

I just preordered this for PS4. Will give it a second chance. Thought the game was just ok but the mp is great. Could help me as a filler til destiny releases.

#17 2 months ago
  18. jeuxvideo4life

Never played tlou on ps3 , this is definitely a nice move from Sony.
    Haters these days are so pathetic.

#18 2 months ago
  19. Game Hunter

@Dragon well I got to sell a kidney to buy all of those lol.

#19 2 months ago
  20. nikk900

Wonder if all the people hating are of the same opinion when it comes to GTA V being remade already.

#20 2 months ago
  21. Bomba Luigi

Money, there isn’t really much more. I Love the Last of Us, was my Favorite Game of last Year, but thats kinda Point: Last Year. Doing a Remake of a One Year old Titel is showing me that Remakes are really getting silly now. First Tomb Raider, now this and GTA5, its a strange Industrie.

But when it sells, what it probably will, then I can understand why they are doing it. Its easy Money, you don’t say no to easy Money. I wouldn’t.

#21 2 months ago
  22. Jonabob87

“We have no worthwhile exclusives coming up so let’s recycle the PS3′s swansong.”

As if that’s not enough, the PS4 version of the game looks virtually identical in every way with the exception of the resolution and framerate changes. Not a single current gen asset to be found. Sad.

#22 2 months ago
  23. Dragon

@Game Hunter ,
    Internet doesn’t care about that. You must own all (or pretend to own all), then continue writing salesman speeches on every article why x console sucks and you must y console to be a real mature gamer.
    _______________________
    “This essentially shits on the memory of the PS3 by taking away the one last special game it played host to. Now the sweetest memory of Sony’s last gen console is the inferior version of a game.”
    So much fail…

#23 2 months ago
  24. Jonabob87

@Dragon What’s a failure about that?

#24 2 months ago
  25. Legendaryboss

Theres one thing you people should be complaining about, you haven’t yet, so i will leave you to figure that out (its real obvious btw). I touched on this in another thread but I’m just going to sum up.

Internet = Raging Minority. Everything you despise is being fuelled by the millions. Multiplats matter more now than ever so stop ignoring them. Of course you don’t have to believe that…

#25 2 months ago
  26. Dragon

@Jonabob87 ,
    Because memories dont make money. Almost every awesome PS2 game was remade for PS3. Did that brought any harm to PS2′s legacy?
    There is your answer. Its an entertainment product. People who like it would buy it and others should realise its none of their biz and should turn the other way.

#26 2 months ago
  27. mightyhokie

Obviously money.
    I have an XO but did have a PS3 and I can wholeheartedly suggest this game for ANYONE who hasn’t played it before. Its the best game Sony’s put out. Ever. Its a masterpiece and certainly one of the greatest games ever made. So if you have a PS4 and haven’t played then you must get this one.
    As for re-releasing these games so soon, if you have played it already it seems a bit stupid to go out and get it again just for upjumped graphics. I don’t feel that I got to spend as much time with GTA5 as I would normally (i had it for the 360 then my wife surprised me with the XO and I’ve never looked back). But I couldn’t just go out and spend another $60 to buy it again just for graphics. I think Halo collection is a great deal because like some of y’all have said its been a long time since those games came out. But even something like Mass Effect series (possibly my personal fav series) I don’t think I could spend a ton of money on them just for better graphics. Although if they released XO versions of Bioshock and Infinite…SOLD!

#27 2 months ago

ignorant cunts

#31 2 months ago
  32. polygem

LOL

#32 2 months ago
  33. OrbitMonkey

To the peeps complaining, you would understand if you had to update your record/vhs collection.

#33 2 months ago
  34. ManuOtaku

I will not get this version, as not gon a get GTA V, or didnt get Assasins creed BF, tomb raider etc., i did played all this games past gen, not worth getting them for improved visuals alone.

Although, i do grant that for people that didnt get them, is a great deal, and happy for them, is great having options, especially when it also helps the industry and gamers, mutual benefits is a great thing, when they are handle like in this case.

#34 2 months ago
  35. Dr.Ghettoblaster

I like the concept of bringing last gen games “remastered” and improved for next gen systems, just feel the price should be lower than $50-$60 as it’s exactly that…..an old last gen game on a new next gen system.

#35 2 months ago
  36. airsick7

Angry internet people can spin this negatively, but why?

A lot of my friends who switched from Xbox to ps4 are VERY enthusiastic about buying this game. I’ve already played it, but I don’t see the harm in it reaching a bigger audience.

I think it speaks volumes for Sony’s first party efforts that people want to play a last gen exclusive so badly. You don’t see many people clamoring to play any 360 exclusives from last gen.

#36 2 months ago
  37. Rosseu

^Amen

I’ve played the hell out of the PS3 version and I actually want to buy the PS4 one!

#37 2 months ago
  38. derpex

“A lot of my friends who switched from Xbox to ps4 are VERY enthusiastic about buying this game.”

Exactly. It’s just deranged microsoft shills who hate anything to do with Sony. They can keep lying and hating and everyone else will buy and enjoy one of the most critically acclaimed video games of all time.

#38 2 months ago