Core gamers aren’t that comfortable with change, says EA’s Peter Moore

Wednesday, 2nd July 2014 10:00 GMT By Dave Cook

EA’s COO Peter Moore has discussed the nature of new trends in the games industry as part of a new interview, suggesting that core gamers are perhaps a little stuck in their ways when it comes to microtransaction and free to play titles.

peter_moore_12

Speaking with GI.biz, Moore expressed his excitement at the current state of gaming.

He said, “I think we’re going into almost a golden age of gaming, where it doesn’t matter where you are, at any time, any place, any price point, any amount of time, there’s a game available to you. And our job as a company is to provide those game experiences. And then on our big franchises, tie them all together.”

This ties in with EA’s plan to offer shared experiences across a variety of platforms, such as Battlefield 4′s Commander tablet mode, FIFA 14 Ultimate Team and its stock of mobile titles, the PC Origin store and multiformat console releases.

Free-to-play and microtransaction models are also coming to the fore, although EA has perhaps stumbled in this department, as the publisher recently admitted it could have done better with its treatment of Dungeon Keeper’s intrusive payment model. I had a big old rant about it in this article. Do you agree?

The problem – Moore feels – doesn’t lie just with EA, but the unwillingness of core gamers to embrace these new ideas.

“I think the challenge sometimes is that the growth of gaming… there’s a core that doesn’t quite feel comfortable with that,” Moore continued. “Your readers, the industry in particular. I don’t get frustrated, but I scratch my head at times and say, ‘Look. These are different times.’ And different times usually evoke different business models. Different consumers come in. They’ve got different expectations. And we can either ignore them or embrace them, and at EA, we’ve chosen to embrace them.”

So the problem isn’t in the business models themselves, but also with the gaming public. Moore went on, “There is a core–controversial statement coming from me, sadly–that just doesn’t like that, because it’s different. It’s disruptive. It’s not the way it used to be. I used to put my disc in the tray or my cartridge in the top, and I’d sit there and play. And all of these young people coming in, or God forbid, these old people coming into gaming!”

Speaking personally, I’m not afraid of business models Peter, I’m afraid of averts and having to pay to use core components of a game that should be part of the free product.

What’s your view?

Via PCGamesN.

1. AlchemyFire

No, core gamers are open to change. What they are not open to, is a stripped down half complete, rushed, bug ridden game, with the rest of the game sold as over-priced DLC

#1 6 months ago
  2. The_Red

I don’t think any one is comfortable with being ripped off, insulted or finding the game they just bought is unplayable.

Also, the example about buying the parts you like and the album comparison is beyond laughable. I really hope this is just BS PR talk because if he really believes in what he’s saying and the single track analogy, then the company is in worse shape than most anticipated after horribly lackluster E3 showing.

#2 6 months ago
  3. FreeZZa

Oh god… He’s so full of shit, sorry. Imagine you sell a usual house for 100’000£. But all of a sudden, you sell a house at 100’000£ but the windows are missing. No one likes and tolerates that.
    I don’t hate DLC and Microtransactions in general. RDR and Borderlands had some great DLC. And I think Microtransactions are ok if optional. Ryse got shit on for its Microtransactions, even though they were completely optional and just added one button when buying a new set of skills. And even if you bought them, you didn’t have an advantage because it’s goddamn Co-op only.

#3 6 months ago
  4. Llewelyn_MT

What an idiot… If something in the game is out of place and detracts from the game experience, a core gamer would mind, just like the next person. I expect to pay money for a game I can then play without stupid popups during gameplay encouraging me to buy DLCs to get one thing or the other. Some people complain when such things are marked as DLC-only in the menus, but I can’t really blame them. While I don’t see a problem there I prefer the game to just never mention any DLC at all. If I’m having fun I make sure to check if there is more content available (see Borderlands 2), I don’t need any in-game reminder.

EA had better make their games fun so that people want to come back and pay more instead of badmouthing people who do not approve of their intrusive in-game marketing.

#4 6 months ago
  5. Legendaryboss

“Core gamers aren’t that comfortable with change, says EA’s Peter Moore”

Well looking at the data he is not completely wrong. That may be set to change however, with Titanfall & Watch Dogs debuting well. We head into fall with Destiny, Evolve, Project Spark, Driveclub and others which should follow in those footsteps. There are more big name sequels than new IPs, which shows what gamers want.

#5 6 months ago
  6. DuckOfDestiny

“It’s not that we’re handing you a plate of shit, the problem is you don’t want to eat shit.”

CD Projekt are currently making many changes to how they do things, but I will lap their shit up as it’s made of pure gold.

#6 6 months ago
  7. bradk825

I’m not afraid of change, but I am afraid of not getting proper value for my money. I haven’t forgotten the day 1 DLC for Mass Effect 3, and guess who the publisher was on that one? It wasn’t even something that had been part of bonus material or anything, just a straight up piece of the game that had been a little delayed so instead of a day 1 patch they sold it seperately. Balls to that.

#7 6 months ago
  8. thegrimmling

All I am going to say is…. ME3′s DLC was abusive. Too many paywalls.

As a quasi-core gamer, love change. I used to play videogames from 1983 to 1997. Dropped out of gaming due to lack of variety and interest. Got back into gaming in 2004.

I almost left gaming again a few years ago due to everything starting to feel like a clone of a clone. But Indie games brought me back. Now I can play my Fallouts, Elder Scrolls, and games like UnEpic or Goat Simulator and have fun. Change and variety is what I crave.

Not everyone wants a different flavored GTA cone every month.

#8 6 months ago
  9. salarta

… Wait a second. Did he just essentially say that times are changing, but it’s the very people that cause the times to change, the consumers, that need to embrace the times?

That’s exactly what it looks like he’s saying. If a huge portion of your consumers are heavily resistant to the kind of change a company proposes, it’s not because they’re stubborn old fools unable to figure out these newfangled ideas all the kids are up on, it’s because what the company’s proposing doesn’t match the times. This is like if the people behind videophones had blamed the failure of videophones on the general public being too closed-minded to accept that new type of communication, instead of realizing it’s not what people wanted right then as part of the times.

#9 6 months ago
  10. TheWulf

We’re replacing our current system of Constitutional Monarchy with an Orwellian Nightmare,” David Cameron smugly told ravenous reporters in front of his residence at 10 Downing Street, “I understand that some plebes will rail against this, but we know that many people are just uncomfortable with change.

I need to stop playing NationStates so much.

The point is though is that change purely for exploitation really isn’t change at all, it’s the same as it’s always been, just worse. Change to provide quality games for a reasonable price (though not as cheap as a quid or two, as they are now) on the relevant app stores would be a noteworthy change.

Of course, it’s sad how many people eat up exploitation until they catch on that they’ve been exploited. Then they defend that exploitation rather than admitting to their own embarrassment. I remember a certain person supporting King quite vocally and shouting me down for speaking ill of them. And then the next day, the news was covered with articles about King’s general corruption.

Soooo… yeah. People just need to catch on quicker, and leave their damned humiliation at the door, for the greater good.

#10 6 months ago
  11. Verbalrob

Whatever happened to ‘The customer is always right’?

#11 6 months ago