Ditch your DualShock 3; the PS4 controller now works with PS3

Wednesday, 2nd July 2014 00:08 GMT By Brenna Hillier

It’s patchy and it doesn’t support motion or vibration, but you can now use a DualShock 4 – the PS4′s control pad – with your PS3. Wirelessly.

ps4_glacier_white_dualshock

The DualShock 4 has always worked with the PS3 through a wired connection, but as Sony detractors just love to point out, the supplied cable is pretty short.

As spotted by Reddit users, the latest PS3 firmware update has quietly enabled wireless pairing of DualShock 4′s.

The PS3 views the DualShock 4 as a generic controller, so not every game will work, and as noted above, motion and rumble are right out. On the other hand, the PS4 version of the DualShock is arguably more comfortable than the oft-derided PS3 version, so your mileage may vary.

Pairing is managed through the PS3′s Bluetooth device management menu. The video below from TheSixthAxis explains how it’s done.

Thanks, Engadget, Gamefront.

1. Judicas

Might want to adjust the headline.

#1 3 months ago
  2. Brenna Hillier

@Judicas yeah, I saw it about 30 seconds too late. Typical.

#2 3 months ago
  3. psxman

Hah, literally days after I’d bought a new 3m Micro USB cable.

I suppose the only thing left is an official driver for PC.

#3 3 months ago
  4. Capt.N00P

Am willing to get CronusMAX for this kind of things espically my 360 one but i feel they are just a bunch of scammers! :(

#4 3 months ago
  5. Rat

That’s neat !

#5 3 months ago
  6. thegrimmling

They need to release an official driver for both PS3 and PS4 controllers for PC. I jumped to PC gaming and I’m stuck using an Xbox360 controller. The D-pad sucks. I use my controllers wirelessly.

#6 3 months ago
  7. Clupula

Why would anyone want to play without rumble?

I’ll never forget playing Xenogears right after playing MGS on PS1 and the lack of rumble was just really distracting to me. The game is great in so many other ways, but that tiny little addition would have made it a lot better.

#7 3 months ago
  8. Clupula

@thegrimmling I seriously doubt there will ever be an OFFICIAL driver, since Sony actually want people to, you know, buy their systems to use their stuff (which I’ve said is smart, many times).

That said, I can’t imagine someone hasn’t homebrewed one by now, at least, for the Dualshock 3.

#8 3 months ago
  9. aseddon130

“going to make a youtube video of a function people will like, lets make sure i wear pink flip flops then!!”

#9 3 months ago