Destiny’s most cringe-worthy line is now a t-shirt

Monday, 23rd June 2014 15:31 GMT By Sherif Saed

Out of all the possible things that players could’ve taken away from the Destiny alpha, the infamous, cringe-worthy “that wizard came from the moon” line, was the most notable thing. Now Destiny developer Bungie has turned this meme into a t-shirt.

that wizard came from the moon

The badly delivered line by Peter Dinklage was turned into a meme as soon as players heard it during the alpha testing phase of Destiny. Bungie has went ahead and turned it into a t-shirt to commemorate the time players spent in the alpha, and already the t-shirt has become the best-selling item among its current inventory, it said on Twitter.

Here’s a video of the meme in case you were living under a rock during the past few weeks, courtesy of YouTube user sevenisyellow.

Thanks, Polygon.

1. dsr

I think VO is the single weakest part of the Destiny. Singleplayer voiceover was alright, but in multiplayer, it was really bad and not very inspiring, unlike Halo and COD.

#1 6 months ago
  2. Obernox

XD That vid!

jesus.

#2 6 months ago
  3. bradk825

LOL. Would have been even better in his Tyrion accent.

That is one of the most badly delivered lines in gaming. Bungie seems to be a good sport about it though.

#3 6 months ago
  4. OrbitMonkey

Well just how are you supposed to deliver a line like that, Mr fancy pants videogame journalist?

#4 6 months ago
  5. Sherif Saed

@OrbitMonkey http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-vLOAoksNY1Q/URFUvHAoV6I/AAAAAAAAJXE/ebJVVqBVqKE/s1600/not-like-this.gif

#5 6 months ago
  6. zombizmo

I can’t really believe how much this whole thing has blown up. Sure the dialogue isn’t the greatest thing in the world, it has never been Bungies strongest point, but I do think that Dinklage along with the MP VO all do fit in their own special way. I’d rather have what we have than ANOTHER wacky side-kick.

#6 6 months ago
  7. Rikki

Nothing wrong with the line. And the delivery is fine, he’s supposed to be a robot! Do you want a Robot showing emotion? NO! You don’t! That’s how we all end up dead!

#7 6 months ago
  8. polygem

from what i have seen in gameplay videos – i think he did a great job – i don´t get the negative feedback the VO receives…sure, it is a bit cheesy but in a good way. was cheesy in halo too.

#8 6 months ago
  9. The_Red

@dsr I think everything in Destiny is like this piece of voice over. The whole game feels rather uninspired and generic to me.

#9 6 months ago
  10. OrbitMonkey

After Game of Thrones it must have felt like reading lines written in crayon.

#10 6 months ago
  11. Odie Esty

@dsr In situations like these, it’s usually smart to hit backspace and type something better.

#11 6 months ago
  12. Odie Esty

I really wish devs would realize actors and voice actors are not the same thing.

#12 6 months ago
  13. Kreion

@polygem
    Depends which Halo you’re talking about, CE is more comical than the later games for sure.

Either way i don’t think this is that bad? I don’t know that context of that clip, but it sounds like he’s just informing you of something. I don’t get the fuss?

#13 6 months ago
  14. OrbitMonkey

^ You know how teenage girls make a huge drama over any little thing?

This is that, but by grown men.

#14 6 months ago
  15. BrahManDude

the worst part was “It’s the Hive” i rolled my eyes so hard

#15 6 months ago
  16. Catgirlmasterrace

@Rikki except the “he’s a robot, he doesn’t have any feelings/emotions is invalid.

If he didn’t have those, then why would he say stuff like “I’ve got a bad FEELING about this..” or exclaim stuff like “OH NO!”. It’s stupid.

It’s just hands down bad voice acting. Is what it is, no need to defend it.

#16 6 months ago
  17. TheWulf

>___>

I don’t know how to feel about this. I’m not sure whether to actually feel bad for Bungie, or whether to groan at just how awful that is.

#17 6 months ago
  18. TheWulf

It’s not just that, either! I mean, I take umbrage at it being generic, but what gets me is how blatant their theft is of Digital Extremes’ and SEGA’s stuff. In footage I’ve seen, I could literally like-for-like with various Phantasy Star Online iterations and Warframe. Not to mention that some of the more human armour looks like it was lifted directly from Mass Effect, adding a cape doesn’t make it less stolen.

I just can’t get over how much aesthetic theft happened with this game. It stuns me. It stuns me more than EA, SEGA, and Digital Extrems haven’t brought a collaborative lawsuit against them for their theft. It’s not just generic, but it’s a generic kludge because nothing fits.

This, that, and that feels like it belongs in different games — because they do. There’s stuff in Destiny that would fit perfectly with the aesthetic of Mass Effect, Warframe, or Phantasy Star Online, but to take from all of those and throw them into the same game, it just doesn’t work. It creates a sort of aesthetic dissonance that’s as hard on my eyes as it is my artistic inclinations.

I just can’t understand how it could have happened.

Did someone just sit down at Bungie and suggest ‘hey, instead of developing our own art assets, let’s steal art assets from a bunch of popular games and insert them into ours with only minor alterations‘? And was that then met by a bunch of vigorously nodding heads?

I can’t get over it.

And I can’t get over how people haven’t called them on it when it’s so damned obvious.

#18 6 months ago
  19. TheWulf

I mean, I felt that Titanfall was kind of generic, grey, and dull looking, but at least it sort of had its own aesthetic. Really, what bugs me the most is the obvious theft. This is Blizzard levels of sleaziness, frankly.

Bungie, stop trying to be the new Blizzard with all of the theft.

#19 6 months ago
  20. polygem

i still don´t get it. look, some parts in bioshock infinite (by that female characer you´ve been supposed to care about) have been so unbelievably annoying. it was overacting to the extreme and it made me laugh out loud many times AND roll my eyes at the same time because it was meant to be taken seriously. it was pretty embarrassing if you ask me.
    same can be said for some parts in the last of us – but not to that level.
    VO in games, even the praised ones…i haven´t really seen anything that has truly moved me. in fact it is for the most part pretty damn flat dialogue presented in a way too dramatic tone.

this here is cheesy – and, at least that´s what is hitting my antennas here, by design.
    hello boys…this is an announcer voice in a videogame where you are shooting digital bullets into each other with your virtual oversized alienphasers.

#20 6 months ago