You’ll be able to play Nintendo 64 games on Wii U soon enough

Friday, 20th June 2014 11:57 GMT By Dave Cook

Wii U will see its Virtual Console store bolstered with Nintendo 64 classics soon, if a new update to Nintendo’s site is anything to go by.

Super Mario 64

CVG spotted that the Wii U Virtual Console site has been updated with a blurb that reads:

“Check back regularly for the latest releases, including the future addition of titles from the Game Boy Advance and Nintendo 64 systems.”

That’s nice Nintendo, but just give me the GameCube version of Smash Bros. Melee untouched and as I remember it and I’ll give you all my money.

Just me? Anyone else?

Want more Nintendo action? Check out our ever-growing list of the best games on Wii U.

1. OrbitMonkey

Goldeneye? Perfect Dark?… OCARINA??

Gulp…

Must… Resist… Nostalgia!!

#1 1 month ago
  2. polygem

i absolutely love VC

#2 1 month ago
  3. Luciferous

@OrbitMonkey Give in to it, let the nostalgia flow through you…

I miss long ass Goldeneye tournaments!

#3 1 month ago
  4. fengato

This very same statement has been on a nintendo.com page for months. Can’t be bothered reading the CVG comments to see if others have made them aware of this.

#4 1 month ago
  5. fengato

Here we go – 2013

#5 1 month ago
  6. Gheritt White

The N64 and its catalogue of games was and is literally the most overhyped piece of tech in videogames.

Well, next to the Dreamcast anyway.

/bait

#6 1 month ago
  7. salarta

Ah, so THAT’S why the Gamecube cartridge shaped hole I cut into my (non-existent) Wii U isn’t working! They just haven’t patched in the function yet!

#7 1 month ago
  8. Gheritt White

@salarta Leaving a message for you on the forums…

#8 1 month ago
  9. Gheritt White

@salarta Forum seems to have disappeared. I would like to connect with you in real-life, but need a private way to communicate. Ideas?

#9 1 month ago
  10. salarta

@Gheritt White It looks like the forums are there, just that the link isn’t available on the main pages. I don’t know if this is accidental or deliberate on VG247′s part, so I’m not going to link to it here.

You can also reach me at raltese@yahoo.com . I’m not too concerned about sharing it here because if someone really wanted to, they could find it really easily elsewhere on the internets.

#10 1 month ago
  11. Digital Bamboo

@Gheritt White Not sure if serious after the /bait, but I partially agree that the N64 is remembered as being better than it actually was/is. There were really only a handful of standout games released during its lifespan, many of which *cough* Goldeneye don’t hold up today. IMO, Ocarina is the most overhyped game of all time (that or GTAIV).

It came at an awkward time when 2D had basically been perfected, and 3D was very rough around the edges–(but it was 3D!)

However, one thing that I’m sure you’d agree on that makes the N64′s entire existence extremely important in the history of gaming is the fact that it had Mario 64. That is and remains a monumental achievement, a true turning point in gaming, and probably the single biggest system seller ever (if not in numbers then in terms of exclusive killer app status and justification in and of itself to own a video game console).

#11 1 month ago