The best games on PS4

Friday, 20th June 2014 08:08 GMT By Dave Cook

PS4 entered the market in November 2013 and since then Sony and its third-parties have flooded the system with plenty of new games. Which are the best of the bunch? Find out in our ever-evolving list.

ps4_hardware

You can also check out our ultimate lists of the best games on Wii U and Xbox One.

The PlayStation 4 had a strong start out of the gate when it launched in November of 2013, even if Watch Dogs infamously slipped. Sony’s indie stance started right from the beginning and thanks to PS Plus, gamers have found themselves rather spoiled for choice each month.

But what are the best games of the bunch? We’ve compiled a list of the essential PS4 titles out there right now, and feel free to suggest new additions below as they come.

infamous_second_son

inFamous: Second Son

Sucker Punch made its PS4 debut with the story of a petulant dick and his ability to absorb super powers from other Conduits in Seattle. Although Delsin is a bit of a chump his journey across this lavish new-gen environment is filled with comedy moments, fast-paced action, and mind-boggling visual trickery. It shows what sandboxes of the new generation should look like, even if the distractions in that space are a tad familiar.

As we said in our inFamous: Second Son PS4 review, there’s a certain brand of glee that comes with swooping across Seattle with angel wings made of video static, only to ground-pound into a group of enemy troops, before frying them all with a barrage of neon power. It’s fun, graphically sound and worth your time.

transistor_art

Transistor

The second title from Bastion developer SuperGiant Games, Transistor is a superb experience that manages to hold several interesting concepts together as a coherent whole. When we reviewed the game at launch, we praised its isometric combat that jumps between real-time and paused decision-making, along with its striking art style and musical score.

What stands out, however, is that the protagonist – a singer called Red – is mute, and the leading voice is that of the Transistor weapon itself. This creates a compelling narrative filled with sorrow and loss as the city of Cloudbank unravels around the player. It’s rare for an indie title to shine this brightly so early in a new console cycle, but we’re happy Transistor did back in May 2013.

final_fantasy_a_realm_reborn_ff14_19

Final Fantasy 14: A Realm Reborn

Holy crap it’s an MMO on console that actually made the transition from PC without suffering massively for it. OK, A Realm Reborn isn’t the first game to have done this, but Square Enix seriously swallowed its pride and took Final Fantasy 14 right back to the drawing board, listened to its fans and produced something much, much better. That’s a rare and wonderful thing. Best of all, you needn’t be an MMO regular to get involved.

The re-tooled Final Fantasy 14 throws many quests at you across its vast world, but they can be completed quickly, so that you don’t have to dedicate hour after hour of your life just to get a few steps further in the quest. Square’s whimsical fantasy world delivers a real sense of high adventure, and its reams of content make the monthly fee a little harder to argue with. If you’re on the MMO fence, it’s worth trying the free trial.

1. onlineatron

how you make this list without including towerfall sportsfriends and don’t starve is beyond me.

#1 1 month ago
  2. Dave Cook

@onlineatron Did you read the part that said the list is evolving and will grow from here? :)

This is just the start.

#2 1 month ago
  3. KAP

Yep. Wolfenstein is one hell of a game, I loved the plot so much. Out of all the PS4 games I’ve played since launch, Wolfenstein is my fav.

#3 1 month ago
  4. onlineatron

heck dave those games are ace they should have been first pass addition no questions asked dave :0

#4 1 month ago
  5. Dave Cook

@onlineatron Well yeah Sportsfriends is badass isn’t it? Well, it’s been suggested, as has Don’t Starve, they’re up for consideration in the next round :)

#5 1 month ago
  6. Dave Cook

@KAP it’s great eh? Some of the dialogue falls flat, but largely it keeps you going through all the mayhem.

#6 1 month ago
  7. zoopdeloop

i like what you’re doing there Dave
    many(mostly hypocrites) discount multiplatform titles now for every console, but not you :)

hypocrites goes to those that at one point were yapping how multiplatform titles performed better on one console than the other and made it big exclusive deal,while now where the other firm has the edge they’re like “Pc is the better experience” (which has always been)etc… sour grapes i tell ya

#7 1 month ago
  8. dazedonthemoon

Read pretty much the same article on Kotaku a couple of days ago… Some of the games are different but the timing is just… I love you guys but even I can’t help but notice a lot of similarities in recent articles. I’d like to see more original stuff rather than imitation.

#8 1 month ago
  9. Dave Cook

@zoopdeloop Thanks :D Multiplats are very important.

#9 1 month ago
  10. Luciferous

Tomb Raider – Definitive Edition should be on here, definitely page four material!

Make it so whilst I go play with Lara some more.

#10 1 month ago
  11. Opalauge

Props for not mentioning Killzone SF…cause it sucks and is by far the worst representative of the series.

#11 1 month ago
  12. monkeygourmet

I was going to pick up a PS4 next week, but thinking about it, I will maybe hold off for a bit.

I can’t see a huge amount of difference between the Wii U’s struggles in the first year and the PS4 / Xbone’s line up at the moment.

The third party situation is usually the main thing people use when drawing comparison, but, in the case of the PS4 / Xbone, most of the games have been cross – platform.

COD, BF, AC, NFS, Tomb Raider, FIFA etc…

They have all bridged gaps, but I also see a lot of complaining on sites like Neogaf that Sony have left the PS4 with large gaps in between games like Infamous etc… Drive Club being a classic example of a launch game being pushed way back for extra ‘polish’.

I don’t really count Indie titles (as much as I love them), as the Wii U has tons of those too, it’s not really the same the ‘full fat’ experience.

MS has done pretty well in that respect, a fair few exclusives at launch and a few more coming through out the year.

The problem I find with third party titles on consoles, is, only one console will provide the best experience. Last gen it was primarily the 360. It bested the PS3 on many third party titles so I only used the PS3 for exclusives.

Likewise, this generation, the PS4 looks to have the advantage (I’m obviously leaving PC out of this as it trounces them both).

Exclusive’s are what get people excited and the PS4 is severely lacking IMO. Some big titles are promised, but look lucky to make it into 2015 (Uncharted for example), and some have already been delayed (The Order, Drive Club etc…).

What we are left with is a year of re-makes and third party stuff I can play elsewhere. To me, it shows people were sooooo desperate for a new console, they bought blind on the promise of what was to come.

It also worry’s me that the 360 / PS3 are still being supported so readily. Of course, there’s a huge install base, but we won’t really start seeing what these consoles can do until the old generation is abandoned or though exclusive titles (which are thin on the ground).

To sum up, I’m surprised people are so happy with the PS4 / Xbone yet at the same time have criticised the Wii U / Nintendo for lack of games, remakes (Wind Waker) etc…

What people have been complaining about and the reality of the situation seem out of whack to me.

#12 1 month ago
  13. ManuOtaku

I would had added, knack, lego movie, thief, trials fusion.

#13 1 month ago
  14. Spider Law

Personal Faves so far
    Killzone Shadow Fall
    Tomb Raider
    Knack
    Lego Marvel
    Warframe
    Need For Speed Rivals
    Resogun
    Wolfenstein

#14 1 month ago
  15. OlderGamer

Hell of a good post MG.

Imo, despite the system sale numbers, I think this next gen stinks by in large. I like some of the WiiU exclusives. And I think mostly the games on XBO/PS4 are alright. I think too few 1st party exclusives. I think E3 was filled with games that weren’t coming till 2015 or later, and that was conviently over looked by the media and fanboys alike.

Everyone wants an amazing new next gen experience…but these systems just aren’t delivering that in my book. Shoddy resolutions, lower then ideal frame rates, cross gen releases, continuation of long term franchises, over hyped new IPs that failed to deliver(TF and watchdogs), and games that keep getting pushed back. What is amazing about that?

I can not think of one single Killer App on either XBO or PS4. I mean nothing. I own all three new systems, so I guess that makes me a hypocrite. If anyone was thinking about buying a next gen system but wasn’t sure…I would caution them to wait. To each their own, we all know that. But if I had it to do over again, I would still buy the WiiU(would have waited and not bought one at launch), but I would have saved my cash on both PS4 and XBO. They just need more games. And games that make you stand up and notice. I don’t need CoD 15, Halo 9, AssCred 7 or whatever, but something new, outstanding, amazing, screaming “Next Gen”. So Far I haven’t seen it.

#15 1 month ago
  16. Rafa_L

I’m still not sold on next gen. I’ll buy a PS4 when bloodborne and wither 3 comes out.

#16 1 month ago
  17. ManuOtaku

@monkeygourmet agree with your post, i do own all new consoles, and iam still playing more with the past gen systems, and wiiu.

Games Like drakengard, the witcher 100 knights, south park, FF X hd, and future games like persona, borderlands prequel, kingdom hearts hd, etc, are really taking my attention and playing time.

But there are few games this year that I wait with great anticipation, like shadow of mordor, sunset overdrive, etc. But i did bought both consoles because here in venezuela prices goes up all the time due currency conversion issues, ps4 cost me almost 4.500 $ and one 5.000 $, in order to have a reference wiiu cost me two years ago 1.500$, so you can see despite having similar prices, how was the increase in just two years, therefore in the future, if i had waited probably it would cost me 10.000 $ or more. So It Is like an investment for the future, iam saving money. But if it wasnt for that i would had waited, past gen consoles are still getting games.

#17 1 month ago
  18. fearmonkey

I enjoyed Knack way more than the snoozefest that was LEGO: Marvel Super Heroes.
    I don’t see why anyone loved that game, i tried to like it but it was just so meh.

So far for me, Watch Dogs, Infamous:SS, and Knack were the best PS4 games I have played.
    Knack didnt deserve the punishment it recieved. When i played it, I was expecting a crappy game, and I was surprised how much I enjoyed it. The game was at least a 7.5 but I would have given it an 8.

#18 1 month ago