What is Lionhead’s mysterious non-Fable new IP?

Friday, 20th June 2014 10:29 GMT By Dave Cook

Fable Legends developer Lionhead Studios is prototyping several new ideas for its next big IP, and what’s more, they’ve got nothing to do with Fable.

fable_anniversary

Speaking with Eurogamer Germany, studio head John Needham confirmed that Lionhead’s creative director Gary Carr is currently heading up an eight-person incubator team that is prototyping new ideas for the team’s next IP, as well as potential new content for Fable Legends on Xbox One.

He told the site, “It’s a team of about eight guys we have in the studio who are trying to build the next big IP for us. They’re working on a couple of new prototypes for completely different games – not Fable related. They’ll also be working on new games we can put within Fable Legends as well.”

“The primary purpose of the group is to come up with new game IP, and we’ll hopefully this next year have something exciting to talk about,” he went on, suggesting that we’ll hear about this new IP sooner, rather than later.

It’s not the first time we’ve hseen rumblings of something new in the works at the Guildford studio. Back in February this job post made mention of an unannounced Xbox One title running in Unreal Engine 4.

A bit further back in January, Needham himself openly confirmed that Lionhead was working on new games, but couldn’t say more at the time.

Needham stressed that his team will try something completely new, concluding, “We’re going to come up with new IP.

“There is great IP in Lionhead’s history, it’s just spotty who owns what. Fable, clearly we’re going to be investing most of the studio’s efforts into that, but we’ll have some new IP to share with you soon.”

He added that whatever this new IP is, both it and Fable Legends will benefit from transparent development and open dialogue with Lionhead’s community.

What would you like to see Lionhead make next? Let us know below.

Via Eurogamer.

1. dazedonthemoon

It a called Elbaf and it takes place in the world of Noibla.

#1 2 months ago
  2. Dave Cook

@dazedonthemoon I heard it was called Darkbane and took place in the world of Ereshap.

(Making up bullshit fantasy names is fun eh? :P )

#2 2 months ago
  3. Luciferous

@Dave Cook Too early in my morning to know if you didn’t read his names backwards… Must… get… coffeeeeeEEEeeee…

#3 2 months ago
  4. Dave Cook

@Luciferous I didn’t even realise. Man I have a pounding headache today. Feeling properly pokey, so I’ll blame it on that ;)

#4 2 months ago
  5. OrbitMonkey

Transparent development and dialogue with the community? Oh dear.

Your a dev, don’t take tips from the monkeys, just toss them a peanut once in awhile, till its time for the big banana.

#5 2 months ago
  6. monkeygourmet

I still get a feeling MS are going to do a ‘Rare’ with Lionhead…

#6 2 months ago
  7. The_Red

@monkeygourmet Aren’t they already doing it though? A lot of talent left even when Molyneux was with Lionhead and if anything, Fable Legends is proof that the studio is being used to cater to the latest trends (OMG we must make a “4 player co-op” and “action oriented game” with “asymmetrical gameplay”.)

#7 2 months ago
  8. Gheritt White

Please be B.C.
    Please be B.C.
    Please be B.C.

#8 2 months ago
  9. bradk825

Call me crazy but I think Ereshap sounds like a great setting.

#9 2 months ago
  10. dazedonthemoon

@Dave Cook
    I seriously tried to read Erashap backwards cause I thought you understood where I was going, and was like ” what am I doing wrong?” Wasn’t until I read the other comments that I got it.

Wasn’t trying to chafe anyone’s backside, just a silly stupid comment. I’ve never had too much faith in Lionhead. The Fable games make me so incredibly excited for like the first 2 hours and then I’m utterly bored and fell like there is nothing at all to the games to enjoy. It’s weird cause I am a serious RPG nerd, and no other series has ever made me feel this way. Not trying to insult fans though, just giving my 2 cents.

#10 2 months ago
  11. TheWulf

Hope you’re feeling better, Dave. Don’t over-exert yourself when you have a migraine, okay? That sucks for your brain, and it’ll only make you feel worse. Take a nap when that happens, I’m sure the rest of the VG24/7 staff can cover for you!

#11 2 months ago
  12. TheWulf

But then, maybe that’s just me being overly empathetic because I suffer with the most obnoxious migraines, I’m very migraine prone, to the point where I think I rub the bridge of my nose more than Janeway does. Still, if it’s a bad migraine, don’t overdo it. Migraines are serious business, shouldn’t be ignored.

#12 2 months ago