Destiny devs helped Sony make the PS4 controller better

Friday, 20th June 2014 11:31 GMT By Dave Cook

Destiny developer Bungie has admitted to helping Sony make the PS4′s DualShock controller better for shooters, years before both companies entered into a partnership over the game.

destiny

Speaking with TechRadar, Bungie community head Eric Osborne revealed that the studio was talking with Sony before it started its move into next-gen development.

“We really didn’t know where anybody was going,” he began, “but it became really clear talking with Sony at the outset that their vision really aligned with where we wanted to go.”

He added, “They worked with us, of course, on core systems and the controller itself – making it better for shooters, helping improve that for players, helping include and improve the social aspects of the game.”

And here we are today, with a report that Destiny’s PS4 and PS3 bonus content will be exclusive until Fall 2015, and the game is Sony exclusive in Japan.

It’s no secret that both Bungie and Sony have been close for some time now, but Osborne’s insight suggests that those conversations have been going on for a few years. It’s also worth noting that Bungie was released from Microsoft’s ownership in 2007.

Via CVG.

1. polygem

the controller is great – for shooters though, i can´t say that i prefer it. i personally prefer that the xbox controller fully rests in my hands, the wiiu pro pad does that as well. it feels natural to me. the dulashock…it feels more like you are holding it because of the lower stick placement.

i always thought that i had a problem with the symetric analog stick placement of the dualshock but that´s not the case. i like playing shooters on the wiiu pro controller – they are symetrical there as well.

on the ds they are just placed too low and too close to each other for my taste.

this is just personal preference though.

overall, i think the ds4 is probably the best controller for a wide variety of games/ genres. it has a great weight, good feel and build quality, the d-pad feels just right to me- perfect, the shoulder buttons feel nice, the face buttons are clicky and nice, the sticks are very precise.

#1 4 months ago
  2. polygem

“and the game is Sony exclusive in Japan.”

oh, didn´t know that actually but i thought, while watching some character creation videos, that they definitely putted some very japanese looks into this one too.

will be interesting to see if destiny will become successful in japan. it could very well be the case i think.

#2 4 months ago
  3. majormayhem70

I do enjoy the DS4 for most games except for shooters. I still prefer the offset stick control for FPS ( Xbox 360/ Xbox One). It’s one reason why with all the PS4 exclusiveness (timed or permanent), I will be ignoring that and purchase Destiny on the X1.

#3 4 months ago
  4. dazedonthemoon

I don’t know but as a rabid Halo enthusiast, the DS4 feels right at home, shooter wise. Especially for Destiny. I prefer the dualshock for every genre and now it’s even with xboxs controller for shooters IMO. I don’t quite get why everyone needs to have one control stick above the other. I think the DS4 fixed all the major issues the DS3 had. Still like Xbox controller too but it just feels like it was made especially for shooters only.

#4 4 months ago
  5. ManuOtaku

The ps4 controller is great, it really did address all the weak points of the previous dualshock model, but For FPS the xbox is better suited, but if a gamer only owns the sony console, will be very please, because the improvements came especially to address the FPS genre.

For Me that i do own both, FPS, i will pick them on the one, jusy for the controller issue.

#5 4 months ago
  6. Spider Law

Gaming since ’86
    PS4/DS4 are now my favorite controller, ever, overall.
    I havent had any gripes with it yet. All previous controllers worked and i enjoyed using them but i always said “they should have done this…” or “that”. Not once have i said it with my DS4.

The Wii U pad can go fuck itself though. Im always using the Pro over the pad. Especially with MK8 and M3DW

#6 4 months ago
  7. Catgirlmasterrace

Personally I love shooters with the DS4. It feels really really great. In my book it’s just THE best controller in history, hands down. Even holding it makes me happy. And the touch pad? 10/10.

#7 4 months ago