The best games on Xbox One

Thursday, 19th June 2014 15:30 GMT By Dave Cook

Xbox One launched in November 2013 and since then the format has been bolstered with several new releases. Join us as we run down the best games on Microsoft’s new-gen format, and add to the list as other notable games release.

xboxoneblack

OK, so maybe the Xbox One didn’t get off to the best start, what with all of Microsoft’s policy u-turns and silly decisions from the suits.

But look, it’s all about the games at the end of the day, so just like we did with Wii U, we’ve decided to compile a list of the best games on Xbox One.

We’ll add to this list as more notable games launch, and don’t forget to throw us your own suggestions in the comments below.

Dead_rising_3

Dead Rising 3

This Xbox One debut from Capcom Vancouver is very silly indeed, giving players the entire city of Los Perdidos to explore. Within its sun-baked streets your find the ingredients for some seriously insane zombie-slaying weapons and super-charged vehicles that defy all reason. Once you’ve flaming Dragon Punched your way through a pack of brain-chompers you’ll never look at zombie games the same way again.

We reviewed Dead Rising 3 here, and were surprised to learn that it’s the perfect entry for those turned off by the time-based format of the first two games. You can turn it on if you wish, but this is potentially the most accessible, fun and memorable entry to the series so far.

super_time_force

Super Time Force

Developed by Capybara Games, this time-bending indie gem might not look like much if you’re not a fan of retro visuals, but trust us, Super Time Force is some truly mind-bending stuff. Fans of 2D shooters like Contra and Gunstar Heroes will adore the explosive gunplay on show, but that fire-smothered gloss hides a deeper, more engaging premise.

The ability to mess around with time to create copies of your pint-sized hero is incredibly smart, and makes you consider your approach through each chaotic stage over and over until you start to obsess over every second of your best speed run. Though it looks simple on the surface, you would do well to check this one out, even if you’re more of a Call of Duty and FIFA type.

wolfenstein_the_new_order_1

Wolfenstein: The New Order

This image says it all really doesn’t it? As we mentioned in our Wolfenstein: The New Order PS4 review, this is a blood-splattered, bullet-spewing, audacious hark back to the id Software original. Machine Games has retained all that chunky heft and turned it into a decent story.

In this alternative 1960′s setting, in which the Nazis have conquered the world, everything is fair game. You see people’s faces smashed in, chainsaws being used to interrogate victims and more. That this shooter has some sense of story, narrative backbone and purpose amid all that blood and mayhem is actually cause for applause. Above all that, it’s a fun, fluid shooter. Try it.

1. Eregol

*obvious troll* That’s all the games on Xbox One
    ;)

#1 6 months ago
  2. Rikki

God damn I love Super Time Force!

#2 6 months ago
  3. bradk825

Solid list. I have many of them.

Can’t wait to see the annoucements for July’s games with gold. There’s only a couple of “I hope it’s not X” games. Namely Lococycle and Peggle.

#3 6 months ago
  4. ManuOtaku

I would had added ryse, thief and tomb raider.

#4 6 months ago
  5. Doppleganger

@Eregol Does this mean PS4 only has 1 page and WiiU have 7?

After reading the comment of Ryse not being on the list I’m not even continuing with this article. What a joke!

#5 6 months ago
  6. LovesALLformats

All I’ll say is MS sold me Sunset Overdrive and Halo Master Chief collection, hope a Halo xboxone bundle will b available. Plus TBA Quantum Break, Crackdown, Gears. Nice lineup from a company that doesn’t have as many as exclusives as Sony, but they are clearly trying to change their image. And these little steps aren’t going unnoticed.

#6 6 months ago
  7. Judicas

You chose super time force over Ryse or Killer Instinct? You should be ashamed.

#7 6 months ago
  8. FoureyesZero

Most of these games are multiplatform kind of strange to put games on the list that are better on pc or ps4.

#8 6 months ago
  9. CyberMarco

From that list only 1 game is a “true exclusive”, the rest are multiplatform/PC or soon to be available on PC too.

#9 6 months ago
  10. Bomba Luigi

Good list and all, I just always think they are kinda strange. I mean, its a “look how much fun you coud have with an Xbox One!”-List and theres only one Game on the List you need a Xbox One for.

But thats just me, nothing really wrong with the List. Its just one of these Strange habbits of the Gamingworld.

#10 6 months ago
  11. Doc Robotnik

I automatically discount cross-gen or remastered games from any list of ‘why I should by ‘X’ console’.

I’m still waiting for something to convince me one way or another. I’d get both, but monies.

#11 6 months ago
  12. derpachu

@CyberMarco Says “best games on Xbox One”. Not “best exclusives”

#12 6 months ago
  13. bobnice

@Bomba Luigi

that’s exactly how I feel about both Xb1 and Ps4, the only game worth playing for me on ps4 was Infamous second son which really only lasted for about a weekend, and forza 5 and titanfall was the only reason I needed an xbox one, I couldve used my PC for titanfall but its pointless in all my close friends are playing in on the One. But I get what your saying.

That being said I cant wait for TLOU remastered, dont really give a shit about the order (looks like a QTE movie) but the exclusives im very much looking forwards to are Halo Master Chief Collection, Forza Horizon 2, Quantum Break (this year?), Sunset Overdrive and Fable Legends. Gonna be an expensive year for games

#13 6 months ago
  14. unknown_gamer

@derpachu
    Funny because those games plays and looks worse on Xbox than the other system

#14 6 months ago
  15. dkpunk

Needs more Killer Instinct, PvZ:Garden Warfare and Ryse.

#15 6 months ago
  16. Kreion

@unknown_gamer
    That doesn’t discount them – the games them self are still good. Though for only console games I’ve never cared if games were down-scaled to 900p – never really noticed it myself, but that’s personal preference,

As someone who is going to by an Xbox One – I can honestly say that there’s little that would actually sway me from one console to another if I weren’t a Halo fanboy (don’t bother insulting me for that). Both consoles have good games, the X1 is less powerful but imo has better functionality with features like the clipping etc. The PS4 has more goodwill behind it than anything else, the power difference is irrelevant to me as I have a gaming PC. The exclusives don’t really excite me for either console…but they still look like a laugh.

The next year will be far more important with big exclusives coming out for both companies – games which will take more advantage of the systems power.

#16 6 months ago
  17. OlderGamer

Nothing on that list gets me turning my XBO on. XBO collects the most dust of the three new systems.

Best system for exclusives games: WiiU.

Best system for cross-platform gaming: PC.

Best system for Indies: PC.

Best system between XBO and PS4: PS4.

^^All my opinion, your millage may vary.

And yes, TF is really just a CoD with mechs. Hawken is a Mech game. As is MechWarrior Online. And no, I am not a lazy gamer. Just one with a different opinion of a Video Game.

#17 6 months ago
  18. ddtd

@CyberMarco This is a list about the best games you can get on the Xbox One, not a list of the best exclusive games. It’s for people who have a X1 and want some guidance as to what to get for it.

#18 6 months ago
  19. ddtd

@unknown_gamer His point was the same as mine. It’s not a list of the best place to play the game, or the best exclusives or versions. It’s simply a list of games you can get if you own and Xbox One.

#19 6 months ago
  20. Dave Cook

The reason there are less exclusives on this list is because many of them aren’t as good as the multi-platform titles. I personally like Ryse as I thought it was Roman Streets of Rage, but is it better than something like Wolfenstein or Watch Dogs? Objectively we agreed no.

#20 6 months ago
  21. dkpunk

@Dave Cook Better than Wolfenstein? No. Better than Watch_Dogs? IMHO yes.

#21 6 months ago
  22. super3001

article is negative from the start.

compare to style of ps4 article.

you cannot hide the bias

#22 6 months ago
  23. dazedonthemoon

@super3001
    Really??? Your bias level is over 9000

#23 6 months ago
  24. super3001

@dazedonthemoon

so? I dont write for news site.

idiot.

#24 6 months ago
  25. ddtd

@dkpunk “Better than Watch_Dogs? IMHO yes.”

Eh, I guess that’s true. However; I will say that even though I had fun playing both, I didn’t want to pick the controller back up when I was done with the stories.

#25 6 months ago