Whip out your wallets: the Steam Summer Sale is upon us

Thursday, 19th June 2014 18:15 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

It’s upon us. Lock up your wallets. Lock up your wi-fi. Lock up your PC and run for your life: the Steam Summer Sale has started.

steam summer sale

Daily Deals include The Witcher 2 for $3.99, Far Cry 3 for $7.49 and more.

Flash Sales include Mirror’s Edge for $4.99, Hotline Miami for $1.49 and others.

Community voting has started as well.

Hit up the sale here and find out how to survive it on Reddit.

1. Talkar

Aye, and they have the audacity to actually put a game that isn’t even out yet on daily deal!
    Valve, get your shit together!

#1 6 months ago
  2. Kane Seere

@Talkar It’s not up to Steam, they ask the publishers which games they want on sale and at with per centage. If capcom decided that Dead Rising 3 should get a 25% discount on it’s pre-purchase that’s up to them and not Steam.

#2 6 months ago
  3. Triggerhappy

…but the point is they are not on deal… Grid Autosport and The Forest have also been sneaked in to the deal section at full price lol. Anyway I’m not actually complaining, I just got Far Cry 2 & 3 together for £6 odds.

#3 6 months ago
  4. BrokenSpline

@Kane Seere

Uh no that is not how it works. Steam buys digital keys at wholesale at a price between retailer and publisher and then Steam deems the price worthy enough in the case of steam they are selling items at a much lower profit in hopes to make it back up by the bulk of them being bought vs what they would sold at regular price.

#4 6 months ago
  5. Panthro

@Talkar

How dare they make a game cheaper for people to pre-order? … You are stupid.

@BrokenSpline

Uhhh nah.

#5 6 months ago
  6. Panthro

@Triggerhappy

That isn’t the deal section it is the ‘Top Sellers’ section.

#6 6 months ago
  7. Triggerhappy

Lol there still in there with all the deals down the bottom, I was gonna say it’s a bit miss leading but all you need to do is look at the price :P

#7 6 months ago
  8. Marvin the Paranoid Android

“Lock up your wallets. Lock up your wi-fi. Lock up your PC and run for your life”

♫ TNT, oi, oi, oi, TNT ♪

#8 6 months ago
  9. DarkElfa

I have enough games I don’t play already.

#9 6 months ago
  10. salarta

I decided to get Mirror’s Edge. I don’t think I’ll care about it one bit, but I still got it nonetheless. $5 is cheap enough, and it’s not made by anyone or anything I’m actively boycotting.

#10 6 months ago
  11. fearmonkey

This is way to early…I would rather have had this in July…my poor wallet!

#11 6 months ago
  12. Hcw87

It’s a gem. Get it for the atmosphere/visuals alone.

#12 6 months ago
  13. Panthro

@salarta

Yep, one of the first few games I actually loved back when I had a PS3.

#13 6 months ago
  14. monkeygourmet

Lost Planet 3 please!

#14 6 months ago
  15. Kane Seere

@BrokenSpline You have no clue how discounts works for Steam.

#15 6 months ago
  16. Digital Bamboo

Some games I want are on sale now, but not cheap enough.

$5 for a newish AAA game (I haven’t played) & I’ll bite. Already got The Witcher I & II, Mirror’s Edge, and a few others weeks ago for less than that.

Gotta conserve my last few steam dollars.

#16 6 months ago
  17. Digital Bamboo

nm, just paid $5 for the Orange Box. Mainly wanted it for EP:1 & 2, but I’ll take Portal for $1.

Also snagged Blood Dragon for $3.79(?) I was sure you had to own Far Cry 3 to play it, but apparently you don’t.

#17 6 months ago
  18. Digital Bamboo

No edit button. OK, 3 posts in a row it is, then.

Maybe this is common knowledge, but evidently The Orange Box also includes The Lost Coast, even though it isn’t listed in the contents on Steam.

#18 6 months ago
  19. CyberMarco

Guys, golden rule of Steam sales.

!!!NEVER BUY A GAME IF IT’S NOT ON DAILY/FLASH/COMMUNITY SALE!!!

Wait for the game you are looking for to be in one of the categories above before buying.

#19 6 months ago
  20. salarta

@CyberMarco Silver rule of Steam sales: if you miss one of those special sales, wait until the event of the summer sale period to see if it’ll be given a second (sometimes third) go-around. The Daily Deals especially tend to get one last hurrah on the last day.

#20 6 months ago
  21. sebastien rivas

Exactly, that is what Steam sales are for.

Games that you don’t necessarily care for but still have curiosity for it and would like to try but you would never buy it at retail price.
    It helps everyone and steam too so… why not

#21 6 months ago
  22. polygem

proud of myself. didn´t buy anything YET.

tempted to pick up dishonored for 7,49€ but will try to be that guy and wait for the flash.

@DB: great choice on the orange box. i was tempted to get it as well eventhough i have it on a secondary steam account already.

@monkey: yeah. indeed! i am also interested in lp3, haven´t played it yet. HUGE fan of LP1, actually still one of my favourite last gen games, especially the mp (post grab mode!) was a true blast the time it came out but i didn´t enjoy 2 at all, that´s why i skipped 3.

i just received a hardline beta invite for ps4 so for now i will finish trine 2 and try that new bf game on ps4 :D

#22 6 months ago
  23. Reddpayn

DONT GO BELOW -60%!!!!!!

#23 6 months ago
  24. Xbone

@BrokenSpline You got it sooo wrong, its almost funny (its sad actually). The publishers/developers decide how much cheaper they wanna sell their games.

#24 6 months ago