Bloodborne is all about challenge and accomplishment, like Dark Souls

Thursday, 19th June 2014 09:33 GMT By Dave Cook

Bloodborne developer From Software makes some pretty difficult games that reward perseverance with a sense of real accomplishment. Thankfully, director of the new PS4 exclusive Hidetaka Miyazaki has stressed that it’s being created with those values firmly in mind.

Bloodborne

It follows my analysis of this leaked Bloodborne PS4 gameplay footage. I’m a Dark Souls nut, so I’ve cast my fanatical eye over the video to offer some theories.

Now, speaking with 4Gamer, Miyazaki said that the From Software of today is quite a different team from when he helmed Demon’s Souls, given that it has more resources and multiple projects on the go at once.

When asked if the studio’s mentality towards Bloodborne has changed due to its status as a triple-a PS4 exclusive, he replied, “Well, it is difficult to say. As for Bloodborne, the development scale is now big in its own way, but on the other hand we still have habits that are strongly with us.

“Rather than it being conscious, it is something that feels natural, and at the same time, there are cases where the notion of a little shifting the axis is a result.”

He added that it’s important to the team that its games still feel “From-like” in nature, bearing all of the traits that have made the studio’s output so endearing in the last generation.

“I think that there are many aspects to it,” he went on, “in the sense of something being something special. Are we even sure of what actually defines what special is? I don’t think it can be pin pointed. As to what I think special means, I hope special is the type of company we can be.”

No matter where the shifting industry takes From Software or what Bloodborne’s exclusivity means, Miyazaki wants to retain the hallmarks of the Dark Souls series.

“First of all we have a new hardware, and with that a new title. I think this game will become very challenging for us as we move forward.

“But on the other hand, what’s at the base, for instance, is still an attempt to create a game that you as well as people who like games will enjoy, and an attempt to let you play a game that will provide a sense of accomplishment and a challenge. That’s what we have done so far, and has not changed at all.”

Are you relieved that challenge remains core to Bloodborne? Let us know below.

1. YoungZer0

It should be about balancing more than anything else. I think FROM has gotten a little bit lost after Demon’s Souls. Dark Souls 1 felt kinda cheap in certain areas. Dark Souls 2 even more so. And I managed to complete the game in under 45 hours.

#1 6 months ago
  2. Dave Cook

@YoungZer0 DS2 definitely felt easy in parts. Many bosses looked great but suffered from slow, overly-predictable attack patterns. I struggled with very few bosses.

#2 6 months ago
  3. Erthazus

They better improve performance of their games.

Dark Souls for example looked not really that great although it had a lot of Havoc Physics but it ran like SHIT and sometimes below 10 fps when boss smashed furniture and other stuff.

I saw Bloodborne at E3 and they barely could run it in 10-15 frames per second. Yeah, it’s an alpha build at best but I don’t want to play Alpha build.

From Software FIX this shit and search for decent programmers and testers.

#3 6 months ago
  4. Erthazus

Demon’s Souls is still my favourite. I liked that battle system was more dynamic there and with Dark Souls it kinda lost that “feel” to it.
    and levels were much more interesting… Not because of challenge but because they were just interesting.

#4 6 months ago
  5. polygem

@YoungZer0
    same here. completed it in under 50 hours with no rush at all – but i completed the first one in 60h on my first playthrough or so as well i think. on my third playthrough though i only needed 25h or something :D

the more you play these games the easier they will become and the sooner you´ll be able to complete them obviously. you just know the formula. a friend of mine is almost 100 hours in ds1 and he will need a couple more hours :D
    it´s the first time he plays a souls game (i envy him).

but you definitely have a point. i liked ds2 a lot but compared to the rest it felt a bit shallow, easy, a bit uninspired in some parts – the standards are extremely high though making ds2 still one of the best videogames that i have ever played.

#5 6 months ago
  6. Dave Cook

@Erthazus “but I don’t want to play Alpha build.”

Err… come release you won’t :/

#6 6 months ago
  7. Erthazus

@Dave Cook their games sometimes feel like at the Alpha stage. Dark souls is a good example with bosses that smash a lot of stuff around him and screen goes to 10-15 fps.

With PS4 power it should ran at steady 30 fps. But if Fromsoftware had good technical team I’m sure it could be in 60 fps too on the PS4.

#7 6 months ago
  8. Blackened Halo

@YoungZer0 more you play these Souls games, sooner they became easier ….for example, if you hadnt played Demons Souls before, Dark Souls would have seemed to you like Demons Souls seems to you now …the DS2s biggest problem is very slow bosses and places as if they were just put ilogically together

#8 6 months ago
  9. Blackened Halo

@YoungZer0 you have to realise that Dark Souls 2 is the third SOULS game in a row! the same game mechanics, bosses and style of gameplay…it is sad but that every another Souls game have seemed easier to you, it is because you just know how to play these games, and im afraid that if Bloodborne will be using the same style, the game wont be a challenge for gamers that had beaten those games before

#9 6 months ago
  10. VTchitcherine

@Blackened Halo

Very true, my friend who is certainly no fool and an extremely capable ‘old-school’ games enthusiast regales me with stories about how just how horribly Dark Souls II pummels him into the dirt seemingly at every turn, a game which I find disappointingly easy. There really is a certain kind of play and awareness one learns over the Souls experience.

#10 6 months ago
  11. YoungZer0

@Blackened Halo

That is not what I’m talking about. In Demon’s Souls I never blamed the game when I died, in Dark Souls less so. In Dark Souls 2, most of the times I died was not because the game was smart or I underestimated it. It was because it was cheap or dumb. For example throwing multiple bosses at you when the game’s combat is not suited for it, is cheap and dumb.

They need to overhaul it. Completely. If Bloodborne does not deliver, I see no reason to continue playing it.

#11 6 months ago
  12. Denmark

Right well hopefully M$ takes notice at their critical success going multi-plat and realizes From needs a continued life on both consoles to crack the biggest nuts financially.
    Sucks its still getting pulled in one direction after very possibly’ achieving more than 50 percent of its player base on xbox. Seriously not a good move for gamers, or even From, but a great move for Sony..I have a feeling From will move on eventually unless Sony makes big move$ to hold on to them while the company is still in its infancy.

#12 6 months ago