Don’t worry Xbox 360 owners, Microsoft won’t abandon you for a while yet

Wednesday, 18th June 2014 18:15 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Xbox boss Phil Spencer feels Microsoft has an obligation to continue supporting Xbox 360 owners alongside the third-party publishers.

xbox_360

Speaking with Metro during E3 last week, Spencer said “millions more” Xbox 360 consoles will be sold before its generation is finished.

“If you bought your Xbox 360 a year and a half ago, I think we have an obligation there,” Spencer said. “When people make a £100+ commitment to us, I want to make sure that there’s content for them.”

Spencer said that while investing in Xbox One is important, it would be unwise for a console manufacturer to ignore the previous generation’s install base, especially when third-party support still exists.

“Most of the third parties will support both generations for a couple of years,” he said. “For a third party this is the nice part of the curve for the last generation, because you’ve got millions of people out there and they want to sell content that these people will buy.

“They also want to kickstart the new generation successfully, so you’ll see a lot of them doing a little bit of both. For us in first party, our primary focus is Xbox One. I’ve been proud of our first party line-up on Xbox One.”

Thanks, CVG.

1. kingy

Well that would make sence Xbox one is not exactly selling like hot cakes

#1 4 months ago
  2. dazedonthemoon

Of course third party will continue to support it, but it’s not like they will receive 1st party support from Microsoft.

#2 4 months ago
  3. Kreion

@kingy
    …it’s selling pretty well.

#3 4 months ago
  4. silverstorm

The only game i want right now for 360 is halo 2 anniversary then my halo collection will be complete.

#4 4 months ago
  5. aseddon130

@1 i’d imagine both consoles are selling onpar now, true that PS4 has the advantage but in terms of units sold per week it’ll soon even out until christmas.

#5 4 months ago
  6. ManuOtaku

@silverstorm touche, check mate, gotcha, etc…..

I hope They keep releasing some games on the old consoles, like recently drakengard, the witch and the hundred knights, etc.

#6 4 months ago
  7. dazedonthemoon

@ManuOtaku
    Japanese games will always continue to support the older systems. Just look at Persona 5, it’s like my most anticipated game and we don’t even have a release date.

#7 4 months ago
  8. ManuOtaku

@dazedonthemoon i do hope thats the case, that way the waiting for this gen games will be not that hard.

#8 4 months ago
  9. tenthousandgothsonacid

Headline is the opposite of what Microsoft said. They’re saying no more first party maybe third party will save you. So they have dropped it dev wise.

#9 4 months ago
  10. Untold stories

I don’t know why this is a headline. They’ve said this even when the one came out.

#10 4 months ago
  11. kingy

@3 I know it’s doing ok but the same go’s for sony it’s not like all last gen console sales have stop’t selling or drastically slowed down to a snails pace the new consoles are selling but the user base is still small to 360 , I just thought it was common knowledge that they would still support it

@5 I can’t wait till they even out , more exclusive games and more third party games more games in general everyone is a winner

#11 4 months ago
  12. Stephany Nunneley

@tenthousandgothsonacid Not really. In the article he says: “not every game is going to go to 360 but I want to make sure the 360 has a healthy line-up of software from us and from third parties… not everyone bought an Xbox One at launch.”

Or did I miss your joke. I don’t pick up on those very well lately. :D

#12 4 months ago
  13. tenthousandgothsonacid

@Stephany Nunneley fair enough. My mistake :)

#13 4 months ago
  14. Game Hunter

@silverstorm hey that was my line >:(

#14 4 months ago
  15. antraxsuicide

They do need to drop it before next year’s E3 (same for Sony’s PS3). It was a mistake when Sony kept the PS2 alive for so long. Some support is good, but know when to stop.

#15 3 months ago
  16. PSOCecil

@Kreion Actually, the Wii U is selling more units week by week than the Xbone, and as we all know, the Wii U’s sales mean DOOM AND GLOOM.

#16 3 months ago