Where are the PS4′s missing features? Sony boss wants to know, too

Wednesday, 18th June 2014 01:07 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Remember all those cool things Sony said the PS4 was supposed to be able to do, and it doesn’t? So does Sony boss Shuhei Yoshida.

ps4_glacier_white_dualshock

PS4 features announced at the hardware’s reveal but as yet unreleased include the ability to put the console into sleep mode while playing and resume instantly at a later time, and to have a friend take control remotely via the Internet to play sections ofa game for you.

Speaking to Kotaku, Yoshida reiterated Sony’s earlier messaging that these features were not intended for launch, but are on the way.

“Our team has been working on it. There are some things that we announced in February of last year that were not planned for the launch timeframe. It’s not ready yet,” the SCE Worldwide Studios head said.

Naturally, we’d all quite like to know when these features will be ready – and so would Yoshida.

“I am asking the same question to my tech team every other week,” he said.

“Because every day I get reminded by lots of people: ‘Where is this? Where is that?’ It’s a great reminder for me.”

He’s a patient guy, Yoshida.

1. silverstorm

And what about DLNA? Still can’t believe they left such an important part out.

#1 6 months ago
  2. psxman

.mp3 playback support ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

#2 6 months ago
  3. Luciferous

Media playback in general, I don’t watch stuff on my consoles at the moment, but i can see a time in the not so distant future when i will be doing so.

#3 6 months ago
  4. LovesALLformats

Its unacceptable. I dont own a ps4 yet. No games worth it yet IMO until 2015 (exclusive wise) but NO DLNA? That’s a feature I bet more than half of ps4 owners are kinda like WTF Sony?

#4 6 months ago
  5. AMGizzle

I’d like to be able to send friends a brag clip. Like when I kill the hackers in watch dogs

#5 6 months ago
  6. salarta

The PS4 should have its own internal community server for PSN, or perhaps PSN Plus, that allows people to share screenshots and video purely through PS4 or a special Sony website. It’s good that they have the function to share this stuff on Facebook and Twitter and aren’t keeping people restricted only to them, but not everyone wants to use those services.

#6 6 months ago
  7. polygem

The system is pretty decent as it is today. Sure, that it lacks mp3 support is a bit weird but what i really really would have wanted from all the nextgen systems is 1 gen BC.

I would go and buy a PS4 today if it would allow me to play Demons Souls, Ratchet and Wipeout on it and if subscribing to PS+ would let me benefit from the PS3+ games as well.
    To me personally one gen BC is pretty much a must and a huge huge con for consoles.

So modern and nextgen to have your old console hooked to your TV as well as the new one.
    If you are a multiplat gamer your livingroom can get very very crowded. It´s just not consumer friendly to not add one gen BC imo.
    I will probably buy one soon anyway though ;)

I hope that Sony redesigns the PS4 and Vita UI at some point because to me it´s even a downgrade to the XMB. I liked the XMB and would have preferred an optimized version of that. The store needs a redesign as well. Overall the PS4 UI looks and feels completely rushed and uninspired to me. Vita too.

The console and the controller design is great but using the system itself isn´t as much fun as using the WiiU or the Xbox One…Still, like i said above, decent system that has a lot of advantages too, the biggest one imo and the reason it sells so well: It´s having a great value for money ratio. For 399€ you are getting a great system…And that´s always the best argument. I just wish they don´t rest on their laurels now.

#7 6 months ago
  8. TheWulf

Well… at least they’re not launching with features, and then taking them away, like they did with the PS3.

#8 6 months ago
  9. TommiK

Ever heard of FLAC, Soony?

#9 6 months ago
  10. salarta

@polygem The new store is flashier but worse than the prior one. The simple act of searching for something is more work than it should be. You shouldn’t have to scroll through a letter wheel and actively build the word, especially if you have a keyboard on hand. And that’s just one problem with it.

#10 6 months ago
  11. polygem

@salarta
    yes and what really frustrated me – they had so much time to make this right. i mean the problems of the old shop have been present all the time. i was very disappointed to see that they didn´t manage to make it feel better. i mean if you buy a new console then the hardware and the controller is one thing but having fun using the system itself is very very essential too and the UI is just superimportant in that regard. it has always been very important to me. on the wiiu, there is a lot of stuff to do with miiverse, the communities, the basic navigation is simple but slick and works great with the touchpad. the shop is nothing special and definitley has some issues as well but overall, using the touchpad works great here as well. the xbox UI is fun to use (minus the ads). you can browse the tabs with the shoulder buttons like on the 360, something super minor, yes – but these little things can make such a difference. the sounds as well.
    the beep sound in the ps4 menue – atrocious- turned it off instantly wondering about who has chosen that sound. felt like getting trolled really.
    even if it sounds negative now, i am not hating the ps4, heck, i will probably buy one again very soon because of some games i am interested in and because the pricing is right, the new controller is much better than the ds3 etc. they have done a lot of improvements with the ps4 but the UI feels like a very rushed part of the console. fortunately, that´s stuff you can fix.

#11 6 months ago
  12. monkeygourmet

But, can it play the Crysis OST on CD?

#12 6 months ago
  13. MuscledRMH

Both Xbox One and PS4 have lacking features and have a lot of room for UI improvements.

When I see the changes to the Xbox 360 UI from the beginning until now it is a massive difference. Playstation not so much but the UI will improved just like the Xbox UI only not a monthly base lik XB1 has but this is probably because of things they couldnt do at launch because of all the changes that were needed.

Both console UI’s will be much better eventually

#13 6 months ago
  14. jmg24bad

Video chat. I don’t see why it isn’t on there

#14 6 months ago