The next Resident Evil movie will be Paul W.S. Anderson’s last

Wednesday, 18th June 2014 03:39 GMT By Brenna Hillier

The next Resident Evil movie has the working title “The Final Chapter”, because writer and director Paul W.S Anderson is pretty much done with Capcom’s universe.

resident_evil_movie

Previously, we had believed the sixth movie would be called Resident Evil: Rising, but Anderson told Collider that’s incorrect.

“Resident Evil: The Final Chapter is the working title. It may be the final title, but that’s what’s written on the front page of my script,” he said.

Anderson also said this is “absolutely” the last Resident Evil movie he’ll make.

Does that mean the franchise will come to an end? Not necessarily, but Anderson and star Milla Jovovich have been primary driving forces in having the films made, both creatively and financially, and although the series has made a great deal of money (outside the US, at least) it’s not guaranteed that anybody else will step up to the plate. Jovovich has indicated she’s not keen on doing another one after The Final Chapter, and the series wouldn’t be the same without Alice.

We don’t know much about Resident Evil: The Final Chapter except it features Ada Wong and will be filmed in 3D.

Anderson confirmed he’s about halfway through the first draft of the script, has not set dates for shooting yet, and could not comment on whether the final product will hit cinemas in 2015 or 2016.

As for what the director will do next, he says he’s got a couple of irons in the fire, but doesn’t want to be locked down to video game movies, despite his passion for the medium and belief in the potential for success of adaptations.

“I have been offered other video games themselves. I think because I’m probably so associated with Resident Evil, I think there’s probably a reluctance to make another video game movie and I will also kind of feel that reluctance as well,” he said.

“That’s the video game franchise I’m associated with right now and that’s really what I want to do and put all of my energy into. And I’m very happy with the way I’ve managed to alternate between doing video game-based movie and then a historical-based movie or a a piece of literature. I wouldn’t want to do video game movie after video game movie.”

Thanks, i09.

1. salarta

That’s another film too many, but at least he’ll stop making them. It may have made quite a bit of money, but it’s also a fine example of what not to do in adapting video game IPs.

Also, if the film featuring Ada Wong indicated Capcom plans for the next main Resident Evil game to focus on Ada Wong, I can guarantee I am never playing that game. It’s Jill and/or Claire or I’m out. Ada got enough of an obsessed spotlight with RE6 being primarily about her and her getting a chapter devoted solely to her.

#1 6 months ago
  2. Digital Bamboo

Holy crap, there’s six of them? I haven’t even seen one.

They should call it, Resident Evil: Rise of the Resident Which is Evil

#2 6 months ago
  3. Game Hunter

All those movies suck.why?because there’s Alice,somebody who doesn’t exist in the franchise and does all the important things like killing Nemesis, Albert Wesker etc. And all the important characters like Leon,Claire,Chris are side kicks and Jill is even the villain in the last movie.that son of a bi**h doesn’t have any respect for the main Resident Evil characters. If I was Capcom’s CEO,I would’ve ended the licensing deal right after the first movie.they viewers of those movies probably don’t know that all those side kicks are the main characters of the franchise.

#3 6 months ago
  4. salarta

I thought the first movie was fine. It was the second one where they started doing things that royally pissed me off. They took everything Jill did in Resident Evil 3, gave it to Alice and turned Jill into a mean, ineffectual bitch.

I made the mistake of buying a DVD of it when I was younger, and there was even a deleted scene where, shocker of shockers, Jill got to act nice for once. Of course, it was a deleted scene because Anderson and Jovovich decided she had to be a bitch throughout the film so Alice could constantly “put her in her place,” like all horrendous Mary Sue fanfiction does.

#4 6 months ago
  5. Sylrissa

How has this dreadful series of movies on a once great game franchise even make it to SIX!.

Should of been canned after the first couple.

#5 6 months ago
  6. YoungZer0

@salarta

Bitch? Really? But what can you expect from a sexist, normal, extroverted, straight, white, cis-gendered male.

Lawl. TheWulf’s words.

#6 6 months ago
  7. Mike W

Thank God, I’m surprise this crap made it this far.

#7 6 months ago
  8. DuckOfDestiny

“The next Resident Evil movie will be Paul W.S. Anderson’s last”

Aww I thought it meant his last movie :(