Classic Eric Chahi platformer Another World arrives on PS4 next week

Wednesday, 18th June 2014 16:28 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Eric Chahi and Berlin-based engineer and game developer Martial Hesse-Dréville have teamed up to bring the classic adventure-platformer Another World to PlayStation 4.

another_world_2

According to Chahi, who brought you such titles as From Dust and Heart of Darkness, the time seemed right to release the game on new-gen thanks to consoles manufacturers being “more open to exotic graphics and gameplay than five years ago.”

The duo are working to make sure the original experience of Another World is brought faithfully to PlayStation 4 along with a “high level of polish.”

Re-editions over the years which included 256-color backgrounds, up to 720p resolutions, more checkpoints and remastered sound effects will be inlcuded.

“This version now delivers a full HD experience. The game is rendered at a higher than displayed resolution to enable clean anti-aliased polygon edges. On PS4 that’s a whopping 2560×1600 pixels. The backgrounds have been edited by Eric to a higher resolution and are now displayed in full color. The result is a noise-free, crisper, and more vibrant environment,” said Hesse-Dréville.

The animations have also been refined to “remove the rough edges revealed by such a high resolution rendering.”

The Sega-CD soundtrack was also added as an option and it will be cross buy, with cross platform trophies and cross save

Another World releases next week on June 25, and since it is cross-buy and cross-save enabled, it will likely land on Vita at some point – but the PS Blog article doesn’t mention it.

1. aseddon130

Flashback > Another World

#1 6 months ago
  2. Gheritt White

@aseddon130 Agreed, too bad the remake wasn’t up to par. Would LOVE a modern remake of Fade To Black, too!

#2 6 months ago
  3. redwood

oh my! this is epic! and yeah flashback was better .. maybe flashback will be back too

#3 6 months ago
  4. Revolting

YES YES YES A THOUSAND TIMES YES.

AHEM. Yes, I will be getting this. Yes, I will be re-buying it for the 4th time; Amiga way back in the mists of time, PC a few years later but still way back before the fucking INTERNET was a public thing, then again a whole decade later when the remastered HD version appeared out of nowhere, and now this, very nearly 25 years after I first played it when it first came out. Have my monies; I do not care because I love it so much. This game was doing ART decades before the (nonetheless lovely) likes of Flower and Journey were . I have all the dialogue from this permanently welded into my brain, even though it’s all grunts and gibberish, and I will grunt it anew with glorious glee.

I love this game. So much.

Oh, Delphine. I miss you. So little was your output, yet so memorable. Remember Cruise for a Corpse? Man, that was a good brain-stimulator. And Darkstone. A Diablo clone very much in the vein of Torchlight in both humour and visual style a decade before Torchlight was Torchlight.

Those guys. They were great.

But they also did Shaq Fu, so perhaps their demise was for the best.

#4 6 months ago
  5. TheWulf

Another World on all of the systems! Every system! Not that I mind, as Another World is really great.

Not really? I mean, sure, Flashback was easier to understand (and, as such, more popular), but it definitely wasn’t better. In the overall story, world-building, and atmosphere departments, Another World trumps it. Flashback was just a story about a future city being invaded by shapeshifters, a massive cliche if ever there was one.

What was good about it was what it stole from Another World. It was a good game, sure, but it wasn’t of the same legendary status that Another World held (for good reason).

#5 6 months ago
  6. polygem

Great! Feel good about buying a PS4 today now :D

#6 6 months ago
  7. ManuOtaku

@polygem congrats, now when you have more money dont forget one.

#7 6 months ago
  8. polygem

@ManuOtaku
    haha, no, not yet, i bought a beast of a gaming pc and a 1440p monitor as well lately. for that nextgen dance i feel well prepared now with that thing, the wiiu and ps4 now…i will buy the Xone when the first redesign and pricedrop will arrive…but man i do prefer the controller, especially for shooters.

#8 6 months ago