PewDiePie parlays YouTube videos into $4 million a year salary

Tuesday, 17th June 2014 16:50 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

You too can live the YouTube dream like Felix ‘PewDiePie’ Kjellberg by making $4 million a year with your gameplay videos.

Providing you do it right, that is. According to an interview with the man himself with the Wall Street Journal, the large figure comes from ad sales.

“It’s cool to have this kind of influence, but at the same time it’s kind of scary,” Kjellberg said. “I’m so central to YouTube now, and that puts me in the spotlight and raises a lot of questions like ‘Why is he so big?’. I’d much rather prefer to have something like five million subscribers.

“Unlike many professionally produced shows, I think I’ve established a much closer contact with my viewers, breaking the wall between the viewer and what’s behind the screen.

“What I and other YouTubers do is a very different thing, it’s almost like hanging around and watching your pal play games. My fans care in a different way about what they are watching.”

PewDiePie was the most watched person on YouTube during the second half of 2013.

Thanks, MCV.

1. Talkar

I may not like his videos, but i can only congratulate him on how well he is doing!

#1 4 months ago
  2. jon_

I give up…

#2 4 months ago
  3. polygem

crazy times we´re living in :D so much cash wasted…

#3 4 months ago
  4. mamu-ti

He is stupid lazy and rich.

#4 4 months ago
  5. Keiggo

I have feelings on the matter!

#5 4 months ago
  6. Rosseu

He’s annoying and unfunny

#6 4 months ago
  7. Hcw87

What’s scary is how much he’d make if noone used AdBlock.

This is pretty sad though, people probably spend 10 hours a day watching someone else play games. Once in a while is fine, but i don’t get it at all. Then again, most of them are probably 10 years old and haven’t grown up enough to realize how much of a waste of time it is.

#7 4 months ago
  8. Rat

Ge’s a cool dude and I like his videos

#8 4 months ago
  9. Rat

@Rat He*

#9 4 months ago
  10. Game Hunter

Lucky bastard

#10 4 months ago
  11. Gheritt White

PewDiePie is a pretty cool guy. Eh maeks vidoes and doesn’t afraid of anything.

#11 4 months ago
  12. YoungZer0

From what I heard he’s a great guy and all that. Donating money and stuff, but I just can’t bare any of his videos. He has no respect for the games he plays, yells over cutscenes and stuff. Just meh.

Will never understand people who watch Let’s plays though. So boring.

@Gheritt White

#12 4 months ago
  13. ObsCureNinja

Of all the youtubers out there, it kinda sucks to see that he is the most successful, there are groups of people who make much better quality videos that are much more entertaining than what he does, I only ever see he say stupid things and scream non stop. It’s not even enjoyable to watch. And he comes across as very big headed in that interview. “Being central to youtube” Seriously? I only wish the people who deserve the views and success reach it one day.

#13 4 months ago
  14. RocknRolla

@mamu-ti You got at least one thing right.. “he is rich” he is having lots of fun and making tons of money by doing it, anyone that is hating on him is because of pure jealousy :)

#14 4 months ago
  15. ObsCureNinja

@RocknRolla why must people always use “cus they are jealous” when it comes to people not liking the person you like? It is the weakest excuse in the book. At least come up with worth while reasons on why people might hate him or like him.

#15 4 months ago
  16. Rosseu

Yes anyone could be envy what he’s earning. For one, I don’t like him because I don’t find his videos humorous, he screams a lot which makes my neck hurt, he talks like a duck, his game voice is annoying.

#16 4 months ago
  17. TraceableX

Lots of those Youtube celebrities aren’t real gamers whatsoever. They scream like a morons while playing to… get attention.

And the Youtube sluts are no different. They show their interesting parts to get more views while playing games.

They are the cancer of YT and as Hcw87 said, most of their viewers are kids.

It sucks to see passionate gamers like the reviewer at Classic Game Room go, but fake gamers stay and become more popular.

#17 4 months ago
  18. YoungZer0

@TraceableX

At least we still have Gopher.

#18 4 months ago
  19. Selderane

Move across something like four different countries like he did so the YouTube algorithm exposes your channel to swaths of people who would never see an advertisement for it otherwise, and you too can make that money.

#19 4 months ago
  20. DarkElfa

He’s the Fred of gaming shows.

#20 4 months ago