The PS4 is being bought by former Xbots and new gamers, says Sony

Friday, 13th June 2014 02:16 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Sony has revealed an interesting snippet about the PS4 indicating the PlayStation brand has managed to attract a significant number of new followers.

ps4_hardware

31% of PS4 owners who had a console last generation didn’t have a PS3, according to SCEA marketing boss John Koller.

Speaking to Kotaku, Koller said this group owned Xbox 360 or Wii consoles instead.

The figure is in addition to the 17% of PS4 owners who didn’t have a console last generation at all, according to the study Koller cited.

In addition to hardcore gamers who you’d expect to pick up a PS4 come hell or high water, Koller said Sony has been interested to see other kinds of gamers getting on board.

“We’re starting to see a lot more of what we thought were going to be adopters later down the cycle coming in really early,” he said.

This group is described as “indulgers, people that are traditionally a little bit more price-sensitive or down the funnel that have kind of bucked the trend as it were”, but are getting behind the PS4 early on.

Huh! Well, it’s always good to see new people coming to gaming as a hobby; the more people buy games, the more prolific and diverse the industry can afford to be. Not to mention slightly less likely to collapse with an errant economic breeze.

1. GuuR

Last gen I first bought me an Xbox 360 when it first came out and eventually, say 3 yrs later, bought me a PS3. Now, I’ve purchased a PS4 and will not buy and Xbox One until we are a few years down this gen. Maybe even skip the Xbox One alltogether and buy me a decent gaming PC eventually.

#1 3 months ago
  2. ddtd

I got both right off the bat. There are a few good games for both but I think I’ll be more happy with the purchases this fall when more games are out.

#2 3 months ago
  3. The_Red

Seriously? Using “Xbot” in the title of story? Come on Brenna. You’re better than that. VG247 is better than that.

#3 3 months ago
  4. stretch215

@3 +1. I was about to say the same thing

#4 3 months ago
  5. aseddon130

your seriously going to use ‘Xbot’ in a title for a post?? shocking. Great unbiased ‘journalism’ there VG247.

Why not just have ‘people take price into consideration when buying a new console’ as the theme of this post makes complete sense, nobody except die hard 360 fans would justify an extra £80 to get an Xbox One. It was my reasoning tbh and i don’t regret it (although the constant price drops pissed me off quite a bit) and i bought a PS4 recently to get the 1st party titles on that, they are both great systems but since my friends already own Xbox One i’ll use that as my primary console.

#5 3 months ago
  6. DeVitowned

I’m not going to buy a new console until they come out with a pink one. I am tired of my demographic not being recognized…OK, couldn’t resist.

Anywho, this guy I work with, I suppose you could consider him an “Xbot.” Meritlessly trash talked Sony consoles and the owners and the ones who owned them, especially during the period when Microsoft went full retard over DRM. He bought an XBOX One at launch, hated it, sold it and bought a PlayStation 4. Loved it, played it daily. Then, unexpectedly, turned around and traded it to another guy we work with for his XBOX One.

It’s true, to an extent, people are picking up the PS4, but in an end, blind loyalty wins in the end.

#6 3 months ago
  7. Yurinov

I can’t help myself but I have to respond here.

What the hell is happening to this site??? It used to be much, much more professional… now we’re getting these unnecessarily provocative titles, tendentious articles and editors having no respect for other platforms other than their favorite one…

No wonder I have slowly started looking for news on other sites. This is simply not the level of journalism I am used to get from this site.

#7 3 months ago
  8. gomersoul

Bit dubious about the xbot term! Maybe 360 owners would have been more appropriate.
    This is hardly surprising given the stronger announcement of ps4. Only die hard Xbox fans would jump on the Xbox one due to its misguided direction. If titanfall does reach ps4 than the future really does look bleak for Xbox one sales, it’s cooler to own a ps4, that made a massive difference with last gen. Now the shoe is on the other foot I don’t see them overtaking ps4 sales this time. They may sell millions but it’ll be less than Sony. Microsoft’s future in consoles will rest on Xbox two I reckon.

#8 3 months ago
  9. davvok

You use the term “Xbot” and are allowed to write for this site? Really? This industry is freakin weird….

#9 3 months ago
  10. Joe Musashi

Reading the headline, I felt that douchebag Sony was rearing its ugly head again.

To an extent, it is. But not quite to the extent the headline implies.

The sensationalism of the headline is a shame, because the article contains some good information and some pertinent and worthwhile commentary:

JM

#10 3 months ago
  11. Arnvidr

I don’t think the Xbox is even out here yet. I assume some also went for the PS4 because it is the only console alternative to the Wii U still. I expect the Xbox to release soon though, numbers might get more interesting when more territories get it.

#11 3 months ago
  12. Zackslacky

Xbot? Really. This site was always my go to site for news and info. I am rethinking that greatly now. Way to discriminate against your readers that are either 360 or One gamers. It is like targeting a group and calling them an ethnic rasist name. Sony didn’t say it so don’t you dare write articles like this. As a gamer on all consoles I am highly offended. Xbox gamers may be overly passionate and defensive but they are people not bots. I am actually fuming. If my site had a writer put that headline up the writer would be fired immediately.

#12 3 months ago
  13. zoopdeloop

@Arnvidr
    it’s been said one million times already
    those territories were those that MS always sold poorly.
    (Xbox, 360)compared to Nintendo and Sony.Don’t expect that to change with One or any decent numbers…moreso now where it comes last on the game

#13 3 months ago
  14. evilashchris

Way to alienate half your audience VG247. Not good.

#14 3 months ago
  15. FabioPal

@3 “VG247 WAS better than that”.

#15 3 months ago
  16. Hcw87

Officially as bad as the Neogaf community.

Lets do another site redesign, and change the name to Sony247 while we’re at it.

#16 3 months ago
  17. Alkanida

hahahaha xbot
    good job vg
    you’re trying everything you can. adblock still enabled

#17 3 months ago
  18. dazedonthemoon

All these new names bitching about the Xbot remark. Wouldn’t be surprised if it’s one or two people with multiple names. When did Xbot become a gamer slur? Sounds pretty cool to me. Looks like a lot of people have a rather large stick up their bums. People love to cry on the internet.

#18 3 months ago
  19. Legendaryboss

Oh dear.

#19 3 months ago
  20. The_Red

@Hcw87
    No, GAF hasn’t sunk to this level yet.
    People are still banned every now and then for using the term “xbot” on GAF.

While some users get away with it in crowded threads, none of the mods can or will type “xbot”. Having a staff member use it in title would cause instant demotion and a probable lifetime ban. Sadly, VG247′s standards are not that high unless there is something about feminism.

#20 3 months ago
  21. The_Red

@dazedonthemoon
    Xbot has been a BAN worthy term on most gaming sites for ages. It’s not a curse or something super offensive on its own but as a bad trolling and flame war tool, no gaming site tolerates it (Present site excluded of course).

This is pretty much 4chan level of wording from a VG staff member. Posting Xbot in thread / topic title of any known site outside 4chan gets you instantly banned. People say Kotaku lacks minimum standards but try posting something like this in their comments and your account is gone. Yes, even the site with cute cosplayer butt articles opposes this stupid term.

#21 3 months ago
  22. Legendaryboss

Well looks like it worked.

#22 3 months ago
  23. kingy

I’m a XBOT and I’m prowed stand tall XBOTS

#23 3 months ago
  24. Hcw87

Funny thing is, they should have learned after this:

Maybe they did learn though, they do get lots of hits from this practice after all. But it’s by far not the right kind of attention they want.

#24 3 months ago
  25. Game Hunter

Sorry but the real problem here is Brenna’s recent attitude. I had a lot of respect for her but recently her writing style has gone from hilarious to awful.really Brenna, you make me reconsider of coming to this site and wasting my bandwidth for your site.I’m not a die hard Xbox fan,but I still own a X360,so your calling of your users who comes here daily and reads every news and clicks a lot on it’s content and tolerates its stupid advertisements an Xbot? shame on you.I’m starting to question the politeness of First World journalism.

#25 3 months ago
  26. zoopdeloop

jeez…
    whiny xbots and sony ponies have no fun :P

#26 3 months ago
  27. super3001

vg247 writing is worse of any major gaming website.

staff should be ashamed.

#27 3 months ago
  28. Kreion

@kingy
    Shut up, Idiot. I’m allowed to call you that now, because only an idiot would be proud that he blindly follows one side in a consumer war. For anyone saying that people are blowing this out of proportion…you’re right, it’s not offensive at all really.

What’s infinitely more important is the lack of objective writing that it represents, and how much it implies that it was just used for comment baiting. And it worked, but this plus a few of the recent articles have very much shaking my faith for this being one of the few good news sites. It’s becoming just another crappy fanboy infested, poorly written flamewar site.

#28 3 months ago
  29. kingy

@Kreion Lol …I only have half a brain cell ….. Microsoft is king all hail XBOT ….. No really I have all the consoles and I’m more sided to playstation to be honest it’s my multiplat game of choice even last gen I don’t know why though lol …. This site is becoming one sided to playstation and it’s very noticeable which is sad because it was very neutral before

#29 3 months ago
  30. majormayhem70

@The_Red I’ve been peeping her style lately. I’ve got to say Brenna has been slipping.
    Hits are important in this industry so she’s doing what she has to do. Some do it, some don’t. Dave Cook doesn’t.

#30 3 months ago
  31. CycloneFox

Last gen I bought a PS3 after MGS4 released. I eventually bought an Xbox360, too because of Tales of Vesperia, Alan Wake and my humble memories of playing Gears of War on my friends Xbox360. But overall I never played online on it as I don’t see a reason to buy pay for Gold, Gears and Alan Wake were just better on the PC, Microsoft seemed to have lost interest in core games and just relies on third parties and Tales of Vesperia is in my opinion the worst and most boring Tales of game of this/last generation. Graces (Wii, PS3) and Xillia were far better.

I can totally understand people who have made a completely different experience with the last generation. And when the Xbox360 came out, I still played on my PS2 or on the PC and was overwhelmed by the Xbox360s graphics when I saw it at a friends house. And before MGS4 and Uncharted 2 came out, I didn’t even see a reason for the PS3. But I always preferred Japanese games and still do and so my decision was clear right from the start.

#31 3 months ago